News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Gas Price Signs Being Converted to LED

Started by Brian556, December 03, 2018, 12:27:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pink Jazz

Quote from: abefroman329 on December 03, 2018, 07:23:36 AM
Quote from: Brian556 on December 03, 2018, 12:27:32 AMAre there any chains using blue LED's?
Yes, although I can't remember which one(s). Blue is harder for me to distinguish against a black background than any other primary color, and I suspect I'm not the only one (allegedly men can "see"  fewer colors than women, plus I'm colorblind).

I know some Chevrons use white LEDs.  Also, I have seen a few gas stations out there that use amber LEDs.

kphoger

Quote from: ErmineNotyours on December 03, 2018, 11:50:44 PM

Regular is either really cheap or really expensive!

(31.99¢ or $31.99 per gallon)

ETA:  I once pumped diesel at a station that had entered the decimal point in the wrong place on the pump.  Instead of, say, $3.199 per gallon, the attendant had entered $.3199 or $.03199 per gallon (can't remember which).  I only noticed because the dollar amount was increasing re-e-e-ally slowly as I pumped.  When I went in to pay with my fleet card, I let her know that the price per gallon was incorrect.  She said it had been like that all day, but hardly anyone uses that diesel pump so it had gone unnoticed.  But correcting that transaction was all sorts of convoluted, because I had already pumped the fuel.  If I had brought it to her attention ahead of time, it would have been much simpler.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

abefroman329

Quote from: kphoger on December 04, 2018, 01:42:45 PM
Quote from: ErmineNotyours on December 03, 2018, 11:50:44 PM

Regular is either really cheap or really expensive!

(31.99¢ or $31.99 per gallon)

ETA:  I once pumped diesel at a station that had entered the decimal point in the wrong place on the pump.  Instead of, say, $3.199 per gallon, the attendant had entered $.3199 or $.03199 per gallon (can't remember which).  I only noticed because the dollar amount was increasing re-e-e-ally slowly as I pumped.  When I went in to pay with my fleet card, I let her know that the price per gallon was incorrect.  She said it had been like that all day, but hardly anyone uses that diesel pump so it had gone unnoticed.  But correcting that transaction was all sorts of convoluted, because I had already pumped the fuel.  If I had brought it to her attention ahead of time, it would have been much simpler.
At least it ensured the next customer paid the correct price.

Also, that sign is hideous.

kphoger

Quote from: abefroman329 on December 04, 2018, 02:20:19 PM
At least it ensured the next customer paid the correct price.

She told me it actually save her job.  Any variance of more than $20 was an automatic termination, she said.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

ErmineNotyours

Slightly off-topic, but once upon a time, gas was sold in prices not ending in 9/10th of a cent.  The first pump must have still been in use when Shell converted all its US stations to liters in preparation for our metric conversion.  Converting the units to liters also meant that they could push back the day when the pumps had to go past a dollar for a unit of measure.

Manual gas pump readout in liters and ending in 4/10th of a cent by Arthur Allen, on Flickr

8/10th of a cent gas station numbetr by Arthur Allen, on Flickr

1995hoo

What I don't like about a lot of the signs shown in this thread is that they don't show the prices for all the grades of gas. They typically show just 87 octane (so-called "regular") and diesel. It's hardly unusual for cars to specify 91 or higher (so-called "premium" or "super") and it's damn annoying when stations don't post the price on the sign because the price variance across grades of gas can vary widely. Back when I first started driving about 30 years ago it was pretty much the standard around here that prices varied by 10¢ per grade (so if 87 was 99¢ a gallon, 89 would be $1.09 and 92 would be $1.19–92 was the norm for super back then except at Exxon, which had 93). Nowadays it tends to be more than that, but the variance can vary between stations. There are some stations near my house where one of them will charge 70¢ more for 93 while another might charge 40¢ more. That's over $6.00 difference on my usual 15.5-gallon fillup (I usually wait until the yellow light comes on).

More general comment: I find it amusing when I drive down South and some stations advertise the price for "unleaded." It's not like they sell leaded gas anymore!

Regarding the tenths of a cent, I remember when I was a little kid there was one station in Fairfax City that posted the prices with 7/10 for some reason. Never knew why, and my parents never got gas there because the Volvo 165 they had at the time seemed to run better on Shell (leaded) and that station was, IIRC, a Homoco (no joke). How's that for a station name that would cause all sorts of screaming today?
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

abefroman329

Quote from: ErmineNotyours on December 08, 2018, 08:29:35 PM
Slightly off-topic, but once upon a time, gas was sold in prices not ending in 9/10th of a cent.  The first pump must have still been in use when Shell converted all its US stations to liters in preparation for our metric conversion.  Converting the units to liters also meant that they could push back the day when the pumps had to go past a dollar for a unit of measure.

Manual gas pump readout in liters and ending in 4/10th of a cent by Arthur Allen, on Flickr

8/10th of a cent gas station numbetr by Arthur Allen, on Flickr
Interesting that the pump was used in the US, yet the labels use the UK/Commonwealth spelling of "liter."

GenExpwy

Quote from: abefroman329 on December 09, 2018, 10:07:46 AM

Interesting that the pump was used in the US, yet the labels use the UK/Commonwealth spelling of "liter."

Are we sure that pump wasn't from Canada when it went metric?

PHLBOS

Quote from: GenExpwy on December 10, 2018, 03:46:31 AM
Quote from: abefroman329 on December 09, 2018, 10:07:46 AM

During the early 1980s, some companies in the US did briefly experiment with dispensing gas in liters.  Such was done in anticipation of the US fully changing over to the metric system a few years down the road as well as many of the pumps at the time weren't set up to accommodate price settings higher than $0.999/gallon.  Other stations temporarily resorted to charging by the half-gallon until their pumps were upgraded.

As far as the fraction-of-a-penny/gallon pricing is concerned; from what I was told, such dates back to the gas-price-wars (that lowered prices) during the 1960s.  Back then, it was not uncommon to see prices that differed by a fraction of a cent per gallon among gas stations.  The difference between $0.255/gallon vs. $0.259/gallon was and is a lot more significant than (as an example) $2.555/gallon vs. $2.559/gallon.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

txstateends

There was one c-store I saw in east TX that did their pump display in liters, then had a conversion chart sticker on the pump for those who wanted to know the gallon equivalent.  I think that might have lasted a couple of years, maybe.
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

abefroman329

Quote from: txstateends on December 10, 2018, 03:31:50 PM
There was one c-store I saw in east TX that did their pump display in liters, then had a conversion chart sticker on the pump for those who wanted to know the gallon equivalent.  I think that might have lasted a couple of years, maybe.
It's simple, just multiply the number on the pump display by 3.78.

US 89

Quote from: abefroman329 on December 10, 2018, 03:36:41 PM

But back before everybody had a calculator in their pocket, expecting people to actually do that math in their head? Sure, 4 is close, but that approximation becomes less useful as the numbers get bigger.

kphoger

Quote from: US 89 on December 10, 2018, 03:51:12 PM

But back before everybody had a calculator in their pocket, expecting people to actually do that math in their head? Sure, 4 is close, but that approximation becomes less useful as the numbers get bigger.

Other than tracking fuel economy, why would one actually need to know the gallon equivalent anyway?
Male pronouns, please.

abefroman329

Quote from: kphoger on December 10, 2018, 04:18:06 PM

Other than tracking fuel economy, why would one actually need to know the gallon equivalent anyway?
I was just joking, guys.

kphoger

Quote from: abefroman329 on December 10, 2018, 05:34:18 PM

I was just joking, guys.

Really?  I actually do (a) track gas mileage by the tank and (b) drive to Mexico, which dispenses fuel by the liter.  So I'm one who really does the conversion with some regularity.  And I suspect I'm not the only on the forum who does this sort of thing.

In fact, at the top of each page of my fuel and service log, I have...

1 gallon = 3.785 liters                 (miles) x (3.785) ÷ (liters) = m.p.g.

...to remind me how to do the conversion.  Of course, I use that "calculator in my pocket" to do the math for me...
Male pronouns, please.

ErmineNotyours

The pumps are in Issaquah, Washington.  The legend above the upper numbers says "Gallons delivered," so it seems like only a partial conversion.  The other pump still says gallons.  Cursory research has not revealed if the pumps are original to the location, but it's always been a Shell station.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: kphoger on December 10, 2018, 07:48:01 PM

I was just joking, guys.

Really?  I actually do (a) track gas mileage by the tank and (b) drive to Mexico, which dispenses fuel by the liter.  So I'm one who really does the conversion with some regularity.  And I suspect I'm not the only on the forum who does this sort of thing.

...to remind me how to do the conversion.  Of course, I use that "calculator in my pocket" to do the math for me...

You probably are one of the very few. Who else normally goes to a different country on a regular basis to begin with?

kphoger

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 10, 2018, 11:17:20 PM
Quote from: kphoger on December 10, 2018, 07:48:01 PM

I was just joking, guys.

You probably are one of the very few. Who else normally goes to a different country on a regular basis to begin with?

We have several US-based users who regularly drive in Canada.
Male pronouns, please.

abefroman329

I was joking about it being easy to multiply most numbers by 3.78.

kphoger

Quote from: abefroman329 on December 11, 2018, 03:09:44 PM
I was joking about it being easy to multiply most numbers by 3.78.

It's decently easy, however, to multiply by four and just round down a bit.
Male pronouns, please.

Brandon

Quote from: ErmineNotyours on December 10, 2018, 10:58:23 PM

The pumps are in Issaquah, Washington.  The legend above the upper numbers says "Gallons delivered," so it seems like only a partial conversion.  The other pump still says gallons.  Cursory research has not revealed if the pumps are original to the location, but it's always been a Shell station.

Bizarre that they chose the Commonwealth spelling, "litre" instead of the US spelling, "liter".
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

CtrlAltDel

Apologies for being that guy, but you would divide the liters by 3.78 to get gallons. You would multiply gallons by 3.78 to get to liters.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

GaryV

Quote from: Brandon on December 11, 2018, 03:15:19 PM
Quote from: ErmineNotyours on December 10, 2018, 10:58:23 PM

Bizarre that they chose the Commonwealth spelling, "litre" instead of the US spelling, "liter".

Maybe they got the sticker from Canada.

And, despite the printing above that says "Gallons Delivered", I'll bet that was calibrated in liters too.  It would be a rare machine that would have internal gearing to price in liters but measure in gallons.

And, for those of you not yet following along and too young to remember, this was a common stop-gap measure taken in the oil embargo that also resulted in the 55 mph NMSL.  Gas pumps could dispense in gallons or liters, so they could be used in US or Canada.  But they didn't have the capability of having a price greater than 99.9 cents per unit, no matter what units were used.  Until new machines were ordered, the stations switched to metric dispensing.

kphoger

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on December 11, 2018, 06:54:00 PM

Apologies for being that guy, but you would divide the liters by 3.78 to get gallons. You would multiply gallons by 3.78 to get to liters.

Wow, how did all of us miss that point?
Male pronouns, please.

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on December 11, 2018, 02:20:41 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 10, 2018, 11:17:20 PM
We have several US-based users who regularly drive in Canada.

I might add that I am one of those people, but our trips and planning are usually such that we don't have to fuel up in Canada. I would imagine anyone living within a few hours of the border has at least driven in the other country a few times. Everyone with a license, that is.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.