Crazy things you've found in Google StreetView

Started by rickmastfan67, April 07, 2010, 03:30:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

D-Dey65

vdeane

Not so much "crazy" as "frighteningly common".  It was even mentioned in a presentation in the annual Highway Data Services workshop this year, complete with pictures showing both US 2 and NY 2 shields (this was one example where this wouldn't be erroneous, but that was so the presenter could show a picture of the End US 2 shield in Rouses Point with a joke about people making protest signs over the mixups).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

D-Dey65

Quote from: vdeane on April 20, 2018, 09:06:46 PM
Not so much "crazy" as "frighteningly common".
Well, yes. But I just thought I'd point it out anyway.

Michael

Last night, I found this extreme face closeup while looking at the first Chick-fil-A in CNY.  While playing Geoguessr earlier this afternoon, I came across a spot where the Street View car was forced onto the shoulder to avoid a car passing a truck towing a camper in the other direction.

Michael

I'm currently catching up on the Redesigning Interchanges thread, and while looking at the I-90/94 and I-39 interchange mentioned on this page, I came across a spot where the Street View car was in a traffic jam.  I can't recall ever seeing a traffic jam in Street View before.  Going further down the road, you can see a tractor-trailer that went off the road and flipped over.  You can also see cans of spray paint on the hood of a police car and marks on the ground.  I'm assuming they were to mark the path of the truck as it went off the road.

D-Dey65

Quote from: Michael on April 27, 2018, 07:13:47 PM
Last night, I found this extreme face closeup while looking at the first Chick-fil-A in CNY.  While playing Geoguessr earlier this afternoon, I came across a spot where the Street View car was forced onto the shoulder to avoid a car passing a truck towing a camper in the other direction.
That first one really was crazy. The second one looks like it had a finish line superimposed there with CGI.

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

roadman65

Sheryl Crowe

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: roadman65 on May 03, 2018, 10:01:37 PM
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.7942335,-82.1666073,3a,37.5y,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sOWm1FVrl2dD4RRKiTkMONQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en Why is US 301's RIGHT LANE placecard blurred out?

For a real answer, it's because Google's auto-blurring algorithm thinks it is a license plate (most likely) or some other form of "sensitive" information that they blur out in their imagery.

kphoger

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on May 04, 2018, 07:01:55 AM
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.7942335,-82.1666073,3a,37.5y,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sOWm1FVrl2dD4RRKiTkMONQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en Why is US 301's RIGHT LANE placecard blurred out?

For a real answer, it's because Google's auto-blurring algorithm thinks it is a license plate (most likely) or some other form of "sensitive" information that they blur out in their imagery.

Yep.  All you have to do is scoot backward one step from the imagery linked to, and you'll see the directional banner blurred out instead.  Not at all crazy.  Almost ubiquitous.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: kphoger on May 04, 2018, 02:10:35 PM
Quote from: MNHighwayMan on May 04, 2018, 07:01:55 AM
Yep.  All you have to do is scoot backward one step from the imagery linked to, and you'll see the directional banner blurred out instead.  Not at all crazy.  Almost ubiquitous.

It's so ubiquitous for innocent things like this that it can become really annoying. Street blades frequently suffer from this problem too.

cl94

I went to street view here to try and grab a shield error, but Google caught much more. Let's just say that driver was going waaaaay over the 20 mph ramp advisory speed.

NY 8/10 in Deposit, NY.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

index

GSV is a godsend for us. We look at it a lot, so we'll see a lot more weird stuff than the average person. Often times, when looking at old GSV imagery, you'll find moderately discolored imagery or black and white imagery. GSVs at night are becoming more common for some reason, despite the exposure making everything virtually invisible. That's ordinary, we can all see and find that and not try. But then there's this absolutely insane kind of stuff:

https://www.google.com/maps/@31.3247682,-89.3288079,3a,66.2y,91.45h,82.48t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s-Ybb9cZFKTdeyoDXYzcUsQ!2e0!7i3328!8i1664

The whole camera is messed up. I've also found other really, really odd things on GSV. On one of them, a considerably large tree branch was stuck to the camera somehow, and on another, there were cracks all over the place, which means presumably the lens on one of the cameras cracked. I've seen severe thunderstorms and imagery that's been discolored to hell and back.

This thread is for that kind of stuff. Post anything here that you think would be meet the criteria for GSVs that are exceptionally weird.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

GenExpwy

abefroman329

Removed - had nothing to do with GSV.

webny99

jeffandnicole

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

roadman65

Yes this thread is redundant, but considering the OP is a user with just over 300 posts we cannot expect him to go through every post that this forum has.

Sheryl Crowe

froggie

^ We're not expecting everyone to go through every thread.  But using the search function to check existing threads is NOT an unreasonable thing to ask.

vdeane

Plus the existing thread wasn't even off the first page.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

hotdogPi

I thought this thread was for camera errors, while the other thread was for unusual sights on the road; they were not the same thing.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

index

Please, you all. I get it, I screwed up on this one. This is the only time I've done it in quite a very long time. One person telling me there's already a thread is fine. But the entire population of the Earth tearing into me over it is pointless.

Even then, as 1 had stated, this thread could very well be used to discuss camera errors.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

kphoger

Quote from: 1 on May 17, 2018, 02:52:08 PM
I thought this thread was for camera errors, while the other thread was for unusual sights on the road; they were not the same thing.

Quote from: index on May 17, 2018, 03:32:03 PM
this thread could very well be used to discuss camera errors.

I agree that unusual sightings belong only in the other thread.  However, any posts from this one could very well fit in the other thread.

So I suggest a merge.
Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.