News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Signs With Design Errors

Started by CentralCAroadgeek, June 29, 2012, 08:22:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US71

Quote from: US 89 on July 19, 2018, 05:23:14 PM

I think most of the problem with the sign above is that the numbers are too thin. I see no reason why they couldn't use Series D, especially because those appear to be 3-digit shields.

Is this better?  :bigass:
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

plain

Quote from: US71 on July 19, 2018, 10:36:19 PM

I think most of the problem with the sign above is that the numbers are too thin. I see no reason why they couldn't use Series D, especially because those appear to be 3-digit shields.

Please tell me that's Photoshop!!!   :banghead:
Newark born, Richmond bred

US71

Quote from: plain on July 19, 2018, 11:47:13 PM

No. It's legit. Only one to my knowledge.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

cjk374

Quote from: US71 on July 19, 2018, 11:53:57 PM
Quote from: plain on July 19, 2018, 11:47:13 PM

No. It's legit. Only one to my knowledge.

I like it because it solves the problem of digits fitting inside the state shield. Plus it looks kinda retro.  :clap:
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

jakeroot

I really like it, though I wish the state ouline were slightly thicker.

Bigger issue is when you try to cram a two or three digit number in. Obviously the circle would have to become an oval or rounded rectangle, and then it wouldn't be as cool-looking.

Quillz

Can't get a good pic of it right now, but on CA-1 just beyond the California Incline, is a sign featuring a white miner spade. Not only have these not been used since 1964, but this particular stretch of CA-1 wasn't even signed as such until after 1964/white miner spade era.

Quillz

Quote from: jakeroot on July 19, 2018, 03:13:32 PM
Just noticed this; really not a fan of Oklahoma's state highway marker. I wish they'd do it Florida style, and remove the area of the state outline around the numbers. The panhandle gives away which state it is without the bottom edge of the outline.
If they're going to use the style they're using, then the state outline really shouldn't be black. It's too distracting and makes it hard to read the numbers. Maybe do what South Dakota does, where the non-numerical elements are in green, but the numbers are black.

ErmineNotyours

Quote from: Quillz on July 23, 2018, 11:29:44 AM
Can't get a good pic of it right now, but on CA-1 just beyond the California Incline, is a sign featuring a white miner spade. Not only have these not been used since 1964, but this particular stretch of CA-1 wasn't even signed as such until after 1964/white miner spade era.

You mean this?

jbnv

Quote from: jakeroot on July 19, 2018, 03:13:32 PM
Just noticed this; really not a fan of Oklahoma's state highway marker. I wish they'd do it Florida style, and remove the area of the state outline around the numbers. The panhandle gives away which state it is without the bottom edge of the outline.

They could do something like this (my concept):

Oklahoma State Highway Shield Mock by Jay Bienvenu, on Flickr
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

hotdogPi

Quote from: jbnv on July 24, 2018, 01:55:04 PM

This is a 30×30 resize. Notice how it's almost impossible to see the state name.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

jeffandnicole

Quote from: 1 on July 24, 2018, 02:08:58 PM

This is a 30×30 resize. Notice how it's almost impossible to see the state name.

And the most important part of the sign - the numbers - is smaller than the space devoted to the state outline.

jbnv

Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 24, 2018, 02:49:20 PM

And the most important part of the sign - the numbers - is smaller than the space devoted to the state outline.

And the most important part of the sign - the numbers - is the only thing that's clearly legible at that size. :rolleyes: Geez, it's impossible to please some of you people.
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

SectorZ

I take back everything I say about Massachusetts, Maine, and others with their boring shields. Convey the necessary info. That's the job.

paulthemapguy

Quote from: SectorZ on July 24, 2018, 04:20:26 PM

I take back everything I say about Massachusetts, Maine, and others with their boring shields. Convey the necessary info. That's the job.

I like Minnesota's highway marker the best--The state shape is there, but small and in the corner because it's not important.  The colors are interesting, the state name is there, and the route number is clear as it takes up most of the space.  Aesthetically pleasing AND it gets the job done.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

Eth

Quote from: jbnv on July 24, 2018, 04:15:12 PM

And the most important part of the sign - the numbers - is the only thing that's clearly legible at that size. :rolleyes: Geez, it's impossible to please some of you people.

Proportion-wise, this really doesn't look that different from the current Colorado marker.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: paulthemapguy on July 24, 2018, 05:00:12 PM
I like Minnesota's highway marker the best--The state shape is there, but small and in the corner because it's not important.  The colors are interesting, the state name is there, and the route number is clear as it takes up most of the space.  Aesthetically pleasing AND it gets the job done.

This is why I use them as wall décor. ;-) :biggrin:

jbnv

Quote from: Eth on July 24, 2018, 05:42:14 PM
Quote from: jbnv on July 24, 2018, 04:15:12 PM

Proportion-wise, this really doesn't look that different from the current Colorado marker.

Thank you. I was thinking of the Colorado marker as I was posting that. (Consider also the current Idaho marker, which inspired my design.)

jakeroot

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on July 24, 2018, 07:00:39 PM

I also really like them, but I really wish they'd change the colors of them. From a distance, I couldn't tell the Interstate and State Highway markers apart from one another. Obviously up close it was a no-brainer, but from a distance...not so much.

Maybe a white-on-black design if snow contrast is an issue?

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: jakeroot on July 25, 2018, 04:30:59 PM
I also really like them, but I really wish they'd change the colors of them. From a distance, I couldn't tell the Interstate and State Highway markers apart from one another. Obviously up close it was a no-brainer, but from a distance...not so much.

Eww. Nothing other than blue and gold is acceptable to me.

I also don't get how so many people confuse them for Interstate shields. The colors aren't even that close, never mind the shape.

jakeroot

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on July 26, 2018, 01:59:47 AM

Eww. Nothing other than blue and gold is acceptable to me.

I also don't get how so many people confuse them for Interstate shields. They're not even close to the same shape, never mind the colors.

If you blur your eyes, it's just two blue shapes. From a distance, they're not easily distinguishable: https://goo.gl/sw1dcM

This is something that I noticed in person. I was in Minneapolis in December 2016. Normally my opinions are based on my observations from afar, but this is one of the few that I formulated in-person.

The design? Top notch. Just not a giant fan of the colors. You probably like them because you like Minnesota. Which is fair (though I hate WA's bust as our highway shield), but perhaps a bit biased. Aren't there any other colors that could be used?

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: jakeroot on July 26, 2018, 02:11:10 AM
The design? Top notch. Just not a giant fan of the colors. You probably like them because you like Minnesota. Which is fair (though I hate WA's bust as our highway shield), but perhaps a bit biased. Aren't there any other colors that could be used?

I'm sure there are, and MnDOT's been rumored to consider switching to purely blue and white because the gold color has a terrible habit of fading. (I'll be the first to tell anyone that I'd hate any change to the design, fading be damned.)

I'm guessing that the colors originally came from the state flag, which is a blue background with the state seal, which has a gold circle outline.

jakeroot

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on July 26, 2018, 02:26:05 AM
Quote from: jakeroot on July 26, 2018, 02:11:10 AM

I'm sure there are, and MnDOT's been rumored to consider switching to purely blue and white because the gold color has a terrible habit of fading. (I'll be the first to tell anyone that I'd hate any change to the design, fading be damned.)

I'm guessing that the colors originally came from the state flag, which is a blue background with the state seal, which has a gold circle outline.

I think that might be it. Gotta draw inspiration from somewhere.

Not sure white-on-blue is the best option. That's kind of already taken by a certain other shield. How about, blue on white? Reminiscent of South Carolina, a bit (which undoubtedly drew inspiration from MN's current design).

MNHighwayMan

Personally I've been of the opinion that, if they absolutely have to change the color, MnDOT should just switch from using a custom gold color to using the regular yellow warning/advisory sign color. I'm actually fairly certain I've seen some contractor-made shields using that color and while they certainly looked off to my eye (by comparison to the normal color), they didn't look horrible, and they shouldn't have the same fading problem.

paulthemapguy

WAT.  I am filled to the brim with WAT.  About to burst at the seams with WAT.

If you want to contrast with snow, don't use white even as a color for the legend.
And how can you confuse Interstate and state markers?  They don't look remotely similar.  And that should only be an issue when a state highway and Interstate cross that both have the same number, which hopefully doesn't happen in the state of Minnesota.  I like the MN state highway markers because they use color, they prioritize information correctly, they communicate the route number clearly, and they communicate a uniqueness to the state of Minnesota.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

jakeroot

Quote from: paulthemapguy on July 26, 2018, 02:18:25 PM

WAT.  I am filled to the brim with WAT.  About to burst at the seams with WAT.

If you want to contrast with snow, don't use white even as a color for the legend.

Fair enough. Though minimal white wouldn't be as big of an issue than if the entire background were white, with black letters. At least in my opinion

How does Illinois' shield stick out in snow? The last shields I designed for snow resembled the color scheme of the fluorescent yellow-green warning signs.

Quote from: paulthemapguy on July 26, 2018, 02:18:25 PM
And how can you confuse Interstate and state markers?  They don't look remotely similar.  And that should only be an issue when a state highway and Interstate cross that both have the same number, which hopefully doesn't happen in the state of Minnesota.  I like the MN state highway markers because they use color, they prioritize information correctly, they communicate the route number clearly, and they communicate a uniqueness to the state of Minnesota.

Oh for God's sake. I said I like the design. I think it's brilliant. I just don't see why the colors they've chosen are necessary (even if they resemble the flag). There are a multitude of other color combinations they could have chosen, but instead they chose one that resembles an interstate.

I don't disagree that the number is ultimately more important, but my understanding has always been that the Interstate shield was to be uniquely-recognisable. I don't think the MN highway shield is different enough from the Interstate shield to meet this goal.

FWIW, I'm not the only one to consider this as an issue. Someone else has raised it before; of course I can't remember exactly who at this point.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.