News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Sine salad

Started by hbelkins, August 29, 2012, 10:25:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1995hoo

Quote from: Jim on August 31, 2012, 10:25:09 AM
This thread needs some Signpost Forest.

(images deleted from quote)

Is that the one in Watson Lake, Yukon? I recall seeing pictures of that in the Canadian Book of the Road when I was growing up and I always thought it would be interesting to see it for real, although I doubt I ever will.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Road Hog

Quote from: national highway 1 on August 31, 2012, 02:37:51 AM
Then there's this from Fort Wayne, IN.

Great period shot. I tried finding the same location using GSV but didn't have much luck. I think US 27 is the only road that still exists in the same route.

Alex

Quote from: 1995hoo on August 31, 2012, 11:13:17 AM
Quote from: Jim on August 31, 2012, 10:25:09 AM
This thread needs some Signpost Forest.

(images deleted from quote)

Is that the one in Watson Lake, Yukon? I recall seeing pictures of that in the Canadian Book of the Road when I was growing up and I always thought it would be interesting to see it for real, although I doubt I ever will.

Jake has a few photos of the Signpost Forest on this blog entry:
https://www.aaroads.com/blog/2010/05/17/alaska-highway-v/

wtd67

Quote from: Road Hog on August 31, 2012, 11:22:59 AM

Great period shot. I tried finding the same location using GSV but didn't have much luck. I think US 27 is the only road that still exists in the same route.

The pole is there, but the signs are gone.  All that is left is a Clinton St and Airport sign. The building behind the US24 and US 30 East signs is down the street on the left.  It is blocked by the parking garage.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=41.076299,-85.138166&spn=0.000001,0.0006&t=h&z=21&layer=c&cbll=41.076299,-85.138166&panoid=w8Wj19-azKD8ffctIciY_w&cbp=12,98.96,,0,0.6

hbelkins

This was taken back in the late 90's but may still exist.

This salad has expired and has been pulled from the shelf.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

okroads

Seiling, OK:

Idabel, OK:

Woodward, OK:

Also in Woodward:

okroads

Wickliffe, KY:

Jackson, MS:

hbelkins

Sine salad in Elkins, WV, in 2002:

I thought I had a newer photo of the signage that replaced that assembly just a couple of years after I took that photo, but I can't seem to find it.

From Salem, Va.:

NE2

Quote from: http://www.sineirishpub.com/richmond_menu_group
Option 2: $13.95 per person - includes tax and gratuity and your choice of one entrée above, coffee,tea or soda and your choice of a small Sine salad or dessert
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Scott5114

Someone have a road meet in Richmond so we can all have some Sine salad
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Kacie Jane

Quote from: intelati49 on August 31, 2012, 10:54:01 AM
Sine?? :happy:

You really need to have more than one sine to make a salad.

Takumi

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 01, 2012, 12:35:55 AM

Since I hadn't yet picked out a lunch place for the Richmond meet...

Although it's pronounced shin-AY, according to the website.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

national highway 1

Quote from: hbelkins on August 31, 2012, 09:26:09 PM
Sine salad in Elkins, WV, in 2002:

I thought I had a newer photo of the signage that replaced that assembly just a couple of years after I took that photo, but I can't seem to find it.
Good find in your own namesake, HB!  :D
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

Road Hog

Quote from: wtd67 on August 31, 2012, 12:52:31 PM
Quote from: Road Hog on August 31, 2012, 11:22:59 AM

The pole is there, but the signs are gone.  All that is left is a Clinton St and Airport sign. The building behind the US24 and US 30 East signs is down the street on the left.  It is blocked by the parking garage.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=41.076299,-85.138166&spn=0.000001,0.0006&t=h&z=21&layer=c&cbll=41.076299,-85.138166&panoid=w8Wj19-azKD8ffctIciY_w&cbp=12,98.96,,0,0.6

Rats. I was hoping to enjoy a Lucky Burger and I'm stuck with a Wendy's and a Subway.

Alps

Quote from: Takumi on September 01, 2012, 12:45:14 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on September 01, 2012, 12:35:55 AM

Since I hadn't yet picked out a lunch place for the Richmond meet...

Although it's pronounced shin-AY, according to the website.
Doesn't matter. I think we've found our spot. If not lunch, then dinner. And we will absolutely have a meet photo all holding our SINE SALADS.

hbelkins

In my opinion, sine salad should have at least five helpings to be a full meal.

Volunteer State sine salad, with a vintage Tennessee state route marker present for seasoning:

Jim

If 5 is enough to make a salad, then I believe this is the closest salad to me, here in Amsterdam, New York.  Well, as long as either the park sign counts or the I-90/Thruway shields on the street light count toward the total.

Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

national highway 1

Quote from: hbelkins on August 31, 2012, 11:12:37 AM

I like the US shields on this assembly, don't mind the Series B GA 155 shield. :nod: :thumbsup:
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

Central Avenue

Wilmington, Ohio:

This one's notable to me not just for the route marker assembly, but more for the sheer number of various signs at the intersection:
Routewitches. These children of the moving road gather strength from travel . . . Rather than controlling the road, routewitches choose to work with it, borrowing its strength and using it to make bargains with entities both living and dead. -- Seanan McGuire, Sparrow Hill Road

hbelkins

I have photos of those signs as well. The OH 73 signs can come down, since that route has been relocated to a bypass north of town.

Central Avenue

Quote from: hbelkins on September 01, 2012, 08:35:51 PM
I have photos of those signs as well. The OH 73 signs can come down, since that route has been relocated to a bypass north of town.

The photos are from 2008. For all I know OH 73 signs could already be gone...
Routewitches. These children of the moving road gather strength from travel . . . Rather than controlling the road, routewitches choose to work with it, borrowing its strength and using it to make bargains with entities both living and dead. -- Seanan McGuire, Sparrow Hill Road

ctsignguy

Quote from: Central Avenue on September 01, 2012, 09:04:16 PM

Regardless, a nice helping of 'sine salad', Ms Central!  Thank you!
http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u102/ctsignguy/<br /><br />Maintaining an interest in Fine Highway Signs since 1958....

hbelkins

Quote from: Central Avenue on September 01, 2012, 09:04:16 PM

They were still there as of the Dayton meet back in the spring, because I went up US 68 to OH 73 to avoid rush hour Cincy traffic.

txstateends

One of the better examples of a TX version of shin-ay.... http://goo.gl/maps/SNLGu

That's between Seymour and Wichita Falls, where US 82-US 277, US 183-US 283, and FM 1790 all meet.

I'm sure prior to the arrival of I-10, Fort Stockton might have had a good bowl of salad, with US 67, US 285, US 290, and US 385 all meeting in town.

Now, with the Boise City shin-ay missing one big ingredient (US 287, now that it bypasses), the downtown/courthouse/roundabout bowl of US 56, US 64, US 385, US 412, and OK 3 is a bit smaller.
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

hbelkins

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.