News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

US 66/OK 66 and US 77/OK 77 between Oklahoma City and Edmond

Started by bugo, January 15, 2019, 11:13:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugo

On several maps I've seen, US 66/77 were routed down what is now I-35/44 and the old route through Edmond was marked OK 66/77. How was this signed? A better solution would havebeen to make the old route BR 66/77. Does anybody have any pictures of the signage of OK 66/77? There was also OK 66 in Wellston which was the original US 66.

bugo

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

bugo

I mourn Liberty's death each and every day in my own little way. Liberty died awfully young, you know. It is a tragic story. RIP Liberty, may you be forever memorial.

rte66man

Quote from: bugo on January 15, 2019, 11:13:42 PM
On several maps I've seen, US 66/77 were routed down what is now I-35/44...
Nope. US77 was always signed south on Sooner to Second St (moved to I35 in the early 60's). West on Second to Broadway to Kelley, south on Kelley to Grand, west on Grand to Lincoln, then south on Lincoln.  When the Broadway Extension was finished from Kelley south to N 36th, 77 was moved over to it.  The freeway dumped southbound traffic onto Robinson.  66 had way too many routes during that time period to recap here.
and the old route through Edmond was marked OK 66/77. How was this signed? A better solution would have been to make the old route BR 66/77. Does anybody have any pictures of the signage of OK 66/77?
I don't believe there was ever an OK66/77 on that route despite what was on a map.
There was also OK 66 in Wellston which was the original US 66.
A compromise made with the town after the Feds forced Oklahoma to reroute 66 when the concrete was laid in the 30's.  Jim Ross has a section on it in his book.
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.