News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

State Route 56 Improvements

Started by andy3175, August 21, 2015, 12:53:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andy3175

California SR 56 is looking at some improvements, both in terms of freeway lane expansion and addition of missing freeway-to-freeway connectors at Interstate 5. SR 56 opened to traffic as a four-lane freeway in 2004.

http://www.delmartimes.net/news/2015/aug/18/state-route-56-carmel-valley/

QuoteThe city of San Diego and Caltrans are working together to find solutions for commuters who struggle daily with the heavily congested SR-56. At peak hours, the 56 can resemble a parking lot, with cars at a standstill. And with all the development occurring along the corridor, traffic is only expected to increase.

QuoteIn March, Council President Sherri Lightner led a City Council vote to initiate a feasibility study process, including various technical studies and reports, to expand the busy thoroughfare from four to six lanes. In her endorsement of the study, she stated that the 2040 target date for the highway expansion is too far off and improvements need to happen sooner rather than later.

QuoteThe widening of SR-56 could occur before the construction of the SR-56 and Interstate 5 connector project, he said. Options to make the missing connections between I-5 South and SR-56 East and SR-56 West and I-5 North include a direct connector flyover, auxiliary lane or hybrid alternatives. Caltrans is finalizing the environmental document and plans to announce the project's preferred alternative this fall.
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

Desert Man

Reviving an old thread by adding new info on CA SR 56, an article on the route was recently featured on wikipedia's front page. Also known as the Ted Williams Freeway, named for San Diego native and baseball legend (of the Red sox, later manager of the inaugural 1969 Padres), CA SR 56 is a nice road to drive on to get from I-5 along the coast or beach to I-15 in the hilly "ranchos" Bernardo and Penasquitos. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_State_Route_56
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

andy3175

Looks like the expansion of SR 56 to six lanes will begin. Work will start in April 2023.

Article from the San Diego Union Tribune: https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/transportation/story/2022-10-17/work-will-start-in-april-on-long-awaited-widening-of-state-route-56

QuoteCaltrans and San Diego say they'll break ground in April on widening the western portion of State Route 56 from four lanes to six lanes, alleviating traffic congestion near some of the region's largest job centers.

The long-awaited $39 million project, first announced in 2014, will include two new lanes in the existing median that will be reserved for buses and high-occupancy vehicles with at least two passengers.

The 2.2-mile widening project, which is slated for completion in October 2025, will also include a new bicycle bridge over the east side ramps of the freeway's interchange with Interstate 15. ....

Neighborhoods directly affected by the new lanes include Del Mar, Carmel Valley, Torrey Highlands, Rancho Penasquitos, Black Mountain Ranch, Sabre Springs, Carmel Mountain Ranch and Poway.

The widening will span from El Camino Real to just west of Carmel Valley Road at the Gonzales Creek bridge. ...

An existing 10-mile protected bicycle path under SR-56, which runs from just east of I-5 at El Camino Real to just east of Interstate 15, will be extended west under I-5 to Sorrento Valley Road.

The county's 2021 Regional Transportation Plan calls for the eventual widening of SR-56 to seven lanes, with two all-purpose lanes in each direction, one HOV lane in each direction and a managed lane that could shift direction.

SM-S908U

Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

ClassicHasClass

Now if only it could get out to CA 67 ...

theroadwayone

Quote from: ClassicHasClass on October 18, 2022, 12:12:16 AM
Now if only it could get out to CA 67 ...
Throw in some extension of the 125 in some way and you have a deal.

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: andy3175 on October 17, 2022, 10:58:30 PM
The county's 2021 Regional Transportation Plan calls for the eventual widening of SR-56 to seven lanes, with two all-purpose lanes in each direction, one HOV lane in each direction and a managed lane that could shift direction.
Glad to hear the expansion is moving forward. Regarding the long term plan, Christ almighty. Just go through with P3 and add two tolled managed lanes each way or widen it to one HOV lane each way plus a GP lane. While they're at it add the missing direct connectors at I-5.

theroadwayone

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on October 31, 2022, 03:55:19 AM
Quote from: andy3175 on October 17, 2022, 10:58:30 PM
Glad to hear the expansion is moving forward. Regarding the long term plan, Christ almighty. Just go through with P3 and add two tolled managed lanes each way or widen it to one HOV lane each way plus a GP lane. While they're at it add the missing direct connectors at I-5.
Will these new carpool lanes be connected to the 5's?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.