News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Oklahoma City Metro Highways | Small projects and construction

Started by Plutonic Panda, July 14, 2016, 08:04:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Plutonic Panda

Again, another thread for smaller highway projects but specifically relating to the OKC Metro and surrounding area.

OTA has a plan to further complete the Kilpatrick/Hefner Interchange in 2018.

Kilpatrick LHP Direct Connects Kilpatrick Tpk 2018 $20,800,000 $350,000 $500,000 $21,650,000

https://www.pikepass.com/pdf/5%20Year%20Capital%20Plan.pdf

Plutonic Panda

I-44/I-35 interchange is getting completely rebuilt starting in 2019. I-35 will be mainlined and six lanes through the interchange. I-44 will be 8 lanes from the interchange to MLK Blvd. Each ramp should have 2 lanes each way and will be direct connect flyovers.

There were two alternatives. I emailed ODOT and they told me they selected alternative 2.

Here are the meeting materials from ODOT: https://www.ok.gov/odot/Programs_and_Projects/Public_Meetings_and_Hearings/20151006.html

Plutonic Panda

Waterloo Rd. and I-35 will become the site of the first DDI(Diverging Diamond Interchange) in Oklahoma.

They have officially selected the DDI and will begin construction in 2021 as currently planned.

Meeting materials here: https://www.ok.gov/odot/I-35_and_Waterloo_Road.html

Plutonic Panda

ODOT is considering several different types of interchanges for I-40/I-40B interchange in Clinton. Several interesting interchanges which include a round-a-bout, rotary oval, DDI, SPUI, and a few others. Construction won't begin for awhile on this as ROW and utilities isn't even scheduled until 2023 with actual construction not even in the 8 year plan.

They can be viewed here: https://www.ok.gov/odot/Programs_and_Projects/Public_Meetings_and_Hearings/20160524.html

rte66man

PluPan, I should never have told you about this board  :bigass:

Seriously, glad to see you mining the recesses of the ODOT website for true nuggets of good information.
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

Plutonic Panda

hahaha I'm glad you did! Very good information here especially info about SoCal. ODOT's new website is nice. I'm still having trouble understanding how to view documents for projects that were put out to bid by city/county or just knowing what projects they will be without having to load the whole thing.

Plutonic Panda

Plutonic Panda

New 8 year plan is out. Most notable projects are the I-44 reconstruction between May and I-235 and it appears they are going to begin tackling the I-40/I-44 interchange. The EB & WB I-40 bridges will be reconstructed over I-44 in 2024.

I am guessing they will widen I-44 as well?

They also appear to plan on widening I-35 between I-44 and I-40.

http://www.okladot.state.ok.us/cwp-8-year-plan/8_year_cwp_maps/8_year_cwp_division4_map.pdf

okc1

Is Lincoln Blvd actually State Highway 0, or is SH-0 just a generic designation for a state highway without a posted number.
Steve Reynolds
Midwest City OK
Native of Southern Erie Co, NY

Plutonic Panda

rte66man

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on November 03, 2016, 06:13:46 PM
Radio Rd. Widening and Interchange project was completed today.

https://www.facebook.com/OKDOT/videos/1848888095340198/

Press release: https://ok.gov/triton/modules/newsroom/newsroom_article.php?id=277&article_id=26646

Would have been nicer if they had photos instead of the cheesy amateur video on their FB page.

-Yogi Berra

Plutonic Panda

Completely agree. If anyone could take some photos that would be great. If not, I'll try to get some as I should be in metro later this month.

rte66man

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on November 08, 2016, 01:32:49 AM
Completely agree. If anyone could take some photos that would be great. If not, I'll try to get some as I should be in metro later this month.

I have some of the construction I'll post later on.  I may be able to get out there on Sunday.

-Yogi Berra

Plutonic Panda

Douglas BLVD/ I-40 interchange meeting was today.

https://www.ok.gov/odot/Programs_and_Projects/Public_Meetings_and_Hearings/20170117.html

Three alternatives

QuoteAlternative 1 - Single Point Urban Interchange (SPUI) -- A Single Point Urban Interchange is a basic diamond interchange with a single signalized central intersection in the center of the bridge. The Douglas Boulevard traffic along with the I-40 ramp traffic will converge to a single point utilizing the single set of traffic signals. The SPUI interchange accommodates large traffic volumes efficiently with minimal right-of-way impacts. I-40 will be improved to a six-lane facility. Through the interchange, Douglas Boulevard will consist of six through lanes, dual left-turn lanes, and right-turn lanes where needed. Entrance and exit ramp lanes will also be constructed along I-40. Collector-distributor roads will be removed and will not be re-constructed. See attached graphic of SPUI.

Alternative 2 - Tight Urban Diamond Interchange (TUDI) with Ramp Flyover — A Tight Urban Diamond Interchange is an interchange that compresses a standard diamond interchange. This design includes all four interchange ramps, as well as the option of adding a future flyover ramp for northbound Douglas Boulevard traffic destined for westbound I-40. The compressed interchange with the ramp flyover accommodates large traffic volumes efficiently by removing a heavy left turn movement from the interchange and the resulting footprint requires minimal right-of-way. I-40 will be improved to a six-lanes facility. Through the interchange, Douglas Boulevard will consist of six through lanes, dual left-turn lanes, and right-turn lanes where needed. Upon construction of the northbound to westbound ramp flyover, the northbound to westbound left-turn lanes on Douglas will be removed. Entrance and exit ramp lanes will also be constructed along I-40. Collector-distributor roads will be removed and will not be re-constructed. See attached graphic of TUDI.

Alternative 3 - Cloverleaf Interchange — The existing cloverleaf will be completely reconstructed to accommodate widening I-40 to a six-lane facility. All ramps and both collector-distributor roads will be reconstructed. Through the interchange, Douglas Boulevard will consist of four through lanes, two lanes for loop ramp weaving, two additional lanes located in the median which can be used in the future for left turning traffic, and entrance and exit lanes where needed. Entrance and exit ramp lanes will also be constructed along I-40. See attached graphic of the new cloverleaf.

Personally I prefer option 2 because I'm a fan of flyovers and it takes less space than a cloverleaf and hate cloverleafs in general.

Bobby5280

I prefer the SPUI alternative for that intersection.

The 2nd alternative with the "future" flyover would be decent for traffic leaving Tinker AFB and going toward downtown OKC. But there is no guarantee that future flyover would ever be built. All the other traffic movements would be stuck in a standard diamond interchange with a pair of traffic signals flanking both ends of the Douglas Street bridge over I-44. That's a bit much in terms of red light fatigue when there's another traffic signal at SE 29th Street immediately north of the interchange. Cloverleaf interchanges cut out the traffic signals, but at the expense of traffic weaving conflicts with cars entering and leaving I-40 in the same space.

Plutonic Panda

Not even going to lie here, I like alternative 2 just because of the flyover and that it would be unique to OKC and that is about my only argument for it is for the sake of looking cool. I echo your concern about it not being guaranteed and knowing ODOT if they did decide to built it; it would take years to get it done.

Here are the alternatives:

Alternative 1:

Alternative 2:

Alternative 3:

https://www.ok.gov/odot/Programs_and_Projects/Public_Meetings_and_Hearings/20170117.html

Plutonic Panda

Guthrie Viaduct construction begins:

QuoteTraffic Advisories
Wednesday, January 18, 2017

SH-33 bridge reconstruction, widening in Guthrie begins Jan. 30

Motorists should be aware of construction on SH-33 in Guthrie starting Jan. 30 and use caution through the area. Eastbound and westbound SH-33 will remain open at Cottonwood Creek between 12th St. and Division St. during the initial reconstruction and widening of the bridge to four lanes.

The new bridge will be built parallel to the existing structure to limit disruption to traffic during the project with completion anticipated by late summer 2018. However, motorists may anticipate some lane closures and lane shifts later in 2017.

Manhattan Road and Bridge Co. of Tulsa was awarded the $17.2 million contract in October 2016.

https://ok.gov/triton/modules/newsroom/newsroom_article.php?id=277&article_id=28695

Scott5114

Quote from: Bobby5280 on January 18, 2017, 03:44:03 PM
Douglas Street

Careful with your Douglases...This is Douglas Boulevard. OKC also has a collector on the SW side that's named Douglas Avenue.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

yakra

"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

Scott5114

Good to see ODOT has made good use of its time developing yet another version of the Type A arrow.

Plutonic Panda

I-35 from 12th St. in Moore to Main St. in Norman is being targeted for improvements. Options being considered by the looks of it are additional capacity(not sure if general purpose lanes or just auxiliary lanes), interchange improvements, etc.

https://www.ok.gov/odot/Programs_and_Projects/Public_Meetings_and_Hearings/20170427.html

I'd love to see a GP lane added and an HOV lane added each way. That would make I-35 10 lanes(8 general purpose and 2 HOV) and I'd like to see that all the way to downtown OKC.

I don't see ODOT doing that and I'm not even banking on them adding a general purpose lane. I'm guessing they will add an auxiliary lane in some areas.

One thing I would love to see is the Exit ramp for SH-77(Flood AVE.) along I-35SB moved to the right side of the freeway. I'd also like to see the same thing down for the Shields ramp. I can't stand left hand exits- it's one of my biggest peeves.

Scott5114

All of I-35 between Main Street and Indian Hills Road was just widened around 2010 or so. It remains free-flowing even during rush hour, so I don't really think there's much of a need to touch the mainline.

The section between N. 12th St. and S. 19th St. in Moore could use some geometry adjustments. There's a few ramps around that area that don't have much merging room. Another thing that might be discussed is an interchange at S. 34th Street–a bridge over the interstate to connect the road and relieve traffic on Indian Hills is already planned, and the Moore government is interested in having an interchange there.

The only thing I could see being discussed in the Norman segment of this is the possibility of converting the frontage roads to one-way. Currently, they are two-way, with one lane going in each direction. It works, sort of. The southbound frontage road's connection to Main St. is horrifically awkward, and that really needed to be addressed long ago. Also, with further development in the University Town Center development, there will likely be a need to extend the service road on the east side of the highway further north.

Plutonic Panda

MCRoads

No one has mentioned the Lindsy St. and Hwy 9 in Norman. That is one of the most complicated interchange in Oklahoma City (besides the HORRID Dallas Junction, which really should be redone). :hmmm: Also, the outdated I 240 and I 35 is being reconstructed.

http://www.odot.org/newsmedia/press/2015/I35_I240_plan_map.jpg
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.