Regional Boards > Mountain West

Protected Left Turns in Tucson AZ

(1/9) > >>

Roadwarriors79:
I don't know if this will be a trend in the city of Tucson, but they recently switched over one of their busier intersections (Speedway Blvd and Campbell Ave) to have protected left signals in all four directions. Interesting considering the vast majority of the left turn signals within city limits are permissive, even those with dual left turn lanes.

//www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sc8cYOTYIt8

i-215:
Wait...  a permissive dual left turn?  How on earth does that work?    :wow:

It seems to me that when traffic volumes reach a point that a second left lane is needed, it must automatically warrant a protected signal.  Not to mention the safety aspect of having two left lanes fighting to accept gaps in the oncoming traffic.

roadfro:

--- Quote from: i-215 on April 04, 2018, 07:47:18 PM ---Wait...  a permissive dual left turn?  How on earth does that work?    :wow:

It seems to me that when traffic volumes reach a point that a second left lane is needed, it must automatically warrant a protected signal.  Not to mention the safety aspect of having two left lanes fighting to accept gaps in the oncoming traffic.

--- End quote ---
Yeah, the dual permissive left turns thing has been discussed in another thread. It seems incredibly odd to me as well, as most practitioners would automatically move to protected left work dual turn lanes. But it seems to work fine for them, given the typical wide arterial medians and in-intersection yield lines in used where this control has been implemented.

kdk:
I'm surprised they didn't use them in the past myself either.

I live in Phoenix and like Tucson we have lots of six lane arterial with dual left turn lanes.  All of them here have protected left turn signals, so when I'm in Tucson it feels a bit dangerous pulling out into the intersection to make a left. 

But it seems to work fine actually there.  This also includes the lagging left turn arrows that turn green immediately as the intersection light turns red, versus in Scottsdale where there is a couple of seconds in between.  Seems scary but never had an issue.

JKRhodes:
Does the new signal have 4 heads? I was just there recently... Speedway/Campbell, IIRC is protected only during peak hours, along with several other intersections along Speedway in the U of A corridor.

Non peak hours, the control is reverted to permissive/Protective (lag arrow) with a new FYA during the "Yield phase."

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version