News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Memphis Highways

Started by US71, April 15, 2019, 01:56:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wayward Memphian

Quote from: bwana39 on June 09, 2021, 11:55:46 AM
Quote from: Road Hog on June 07, 2021, 11:20:18 PM
Crittenden County (across the river from Memphis) is woefully underdeveloped and has a ton of potential for suburban growth. The town of Marion has gotten a little bit of that growth, but not so much West Memphis. One big reason is Arkansas' state income tax. The state at one point forgave state income tax for Texarkana, which borders Texas, which of course has no state income tax. But Arkansas never provided that benefit for West Memphis.

The border city exemption benefits Texarkana Arkansas residents more than Texarkana Texas residents.  TA residents can work anywhere and not pay State of Arkansas income taxes.

For Texarkana, Texas,  you must live in the CITY LIMITS of Texarkana Texas  that doesn't mean Nash. It doesn't mean Wake Village. It doesn't mean Red Lick. (All of which are contiguous with Texarkana.) It certainly doesn't mean rural Bowie County.  Simply having a Texarkana Address does not do it.

Quote from: Road Hog on June 07, 2021, 11:20:18 PM
One of these days, the discovery will be made that you can buy a lot more house and yard on the west side of the river.

In spite of the generally higher taxes in Mississippi, people have flocked to Desoto County.  It is kind of like in DFW where the primary expansion has been north.  From Memphis it is south.

As an aside, schools in Crittenden County Arkansas are regarded as particularly bad.

Marion is not considered a bad district.

Tom958

It's come to my attention that I-40 eastbound narrows to a single lane just before it merges with northbound I-240. I know from discussions elsewhere that the I-240 leg carries more traffic, but still. That chokedown probably is a daily bottleneck, Interstate mainlines should always have at least two lanes, and the situation wouldn't have been expensive to eliminate when the I-40-240 interchange was rebuilt in 2006.

I think the situation could be addressed by:

• Removing the Jersey barrier between 40 and 240 a foot and a half past the back of the impact attenuator at the Jackson Avenue offramp
  • Moving the 40 and 240 roadways together expeditiously
  • Maintaining four lanes at least as far as the Chelsea Avenue offramp. Doing this would require adding 0.4 miles of a new right lane including widening to bridges carrying the freeway. If you want the fourth lane to go further, I won't disagree.
So, does anyone ever talk about this, or is it a nonproblem?

zzcarp

Quote from: Tom958 on June 16, 2021, 09:27:37 PM
It's come to my attention that I-40 eastbound narrows to a single lane just before it merges with northbound I-240. I know from discussions elsewhere that the I-240 leg carries more traffic, but still. That chokedown probably is a daily bottleneck, Interstate mainlines should always have at least two lanes, and the situation wouldn't have been expensive to eliminate when the I-40-240 interchange was rebuilt in 2006.

• Removing the Jersey barrier between 40 and 240 a foot and a half past the back of the impact attenuator at the Jackson Avenue offramp
  • Maintaining four lanes at least as far as the Chelsea Avenue offramp. Doing this would require adding 0.4 miles of a new right lane including widening to bridges carrying the freeway. If you want the fourth lane to go further, I won't disagree.

Wow, I thought this was taken care of during the rebuild. Memphis does not seem set up for being the cross-country traffic hub it has become.
So many miles and so many roads

rte66man

Quote from: Tom958 on June 16, 2021, 09:27:37 PM

It has 2 NB lanes until well past Jackson Ave.  I suspect this was a temporary arrangement until the I40/I69 interchange at the Wolf River was rebuilt. However, given TDOT's foot dragging, that could be another 10-20 years.
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.