September 2022 Central Pennsylvania Road Meet Is now set for 9/24/22

Started by jpi, July 11, 2021, 06:52:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Here are the dates in April for this meet, I will be spending time in the area for other activities

April 16
3 (30%)
April 23
7 (70%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: September 10, 2021, 10:26:06 AM

jpi

Finally, after being postponed due to Covid restaurant restrictions I bring you the Sept. 2022 South Central Pennsylvania Road Meet!
The focus of this is on the new diverging diamond interchange on I-83 in Shrewsbury, the first of its kind in York County, we will also travel the southern section of the Susquehanna trail (old US 111) from York to Shrewsbury, we will also check out a newer alignment of PA 214 in the Loganville area that was done in the past 15 years.

Last if we have nice weather and you are up to a good walk after we check out PA 214 we will walk the York County heritage rail trail and check out the oldest active rail tunnel in the United States, the Howard Tunnel, we will park at Gladfelters Station and the walk is around 90 minutes round trip and is the only way to access this tunnel outside of train.

If the weather is not so good an alternative will be determined closer to the time.

We will meet at the new South County Brewery\ restaurant at 11am for lunch and is one of the newest and nicest restaurants in York County and car pool from there. It is located off exit 14 Leader Hights PA 182 exit on I-83 (not far from my childhood home)
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

SSOWorld

define "Traditional".  Restaurant vs park pavilion?  For your information, car pooling did resume with the QC meet.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

A.J. Bertin

I posted a comment in response to the post on the Roadgeekery group on Facebook, but I figured I'd share a response here as well.

I'm glad to hear that you're looking at hosting this meet!  I am interested in attending, but it's unlikely that I'll be able to go in light of the fact that it will be so close to the timing of when I'll be hosting my Outer Banks gathering in April 2022.  I'm nowhere ready to make my official announcement about that (the announcement probably won't come until late fall or early winter), but I've been thinking that my Outer Banks gathering will take place on either April 23 or April 30.  If it turns out that April 23 is the date you go with for your meet, I'll probably choose April 30 for my meet in case there are folks who might be interested in attending both.  I'm not really a fan of the idea of forcing folks to choose.
-A.J. from Michigan

jpi

Quote from: SSOWorld on July 11, 2021, 09:34:21 PM
define "Traditional".  Restaurant vs park pavilion?  For your information, car pooling did resume with the QC meet.
I was referring to restaurant, as for car pooling I knew that already.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

jpi

I have now added a poll for the 2 dates mentioned, these are the only dates I can use for this since I will be in central PA that week for other stuff besides the meet. Thanks everyone!
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

vdeane

Google says Easter next year is the 17th, so I voted for the 23rd.  I'm not sure if I'd be going to this, as I was considering a cross-country trip next year (although I have to admit that the prospect does intimidate me, especially given the tendency of non-roadmeet, non-family trips to blow up in my face; I wonder if after Easter would be enough of a family connection to avoid the curse?), and after Easter would be the most likely time for me to take it given scheduling around things at work and wanting to avoid peak summer travel days.  That said, if I didn't do that, I could see a combined Easter/Roadmeet vacation week if this were on the 23rd.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Alps

The entire thing is during Passover. Between that and AJ's meet it'd be nice if this could be scheduled in a different timeframe.

cl94

Quote from: Alps on July 12, 2021, 07:16:38 PM
The entire thing is during Passover. Between that and AJ's meet it'd be nice if this could be scheduled in a different timeframe.

Yeah, if it's during Passover a few prominent road enthusiasts who may otherwise attend may not be able to. I'm against scheduling meets during major religious holidays.

Furthermore, if it's Easter weekend, there's a 0% chance I would be able to attend.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

hbelkins

Quote from: cl94 on July 13, 2021, 12:25:37 PM

Yeah, if it's during Passover a few prominent road enthusiasts who may otherwise attend may not be able to. I'm against scheduling meets during major religious holidays.

Furthermore, if it's Easter weekend, there's a 0% chance I would be able to attend.

Remember, this is being scheduled at a time that will coincide with a time when he is already going to be in Pennsylvania. It's not like he's doing this in his backyard in Tennessee, when he could conveniently schedule it anytime. And it wouldn't exactly be convenient for him to make a special trip to Pennsylvania to host the meet.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Alps

Quote from: hbelkins on July 13, 2021, 02:11:50 PM

Remember, this is being scheduled at a time that will coincide with a time when he is already going to be in Pennsylvania. It's not like he's doing this in his backyard in Tennessee, when he could conveniently schedule it anytime. And it wouldn't exactly be convenient for him to make a special trip to Pennsylvania to host the meet.

Yeah, I said "it'd be nice" but I know the circumstances as to when and why.

hbelkins

Quote from: Alps on July 13, 2021, 08:55:06 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on July 13, 2021, 02:11:50 PM

Yeah, I said "it'd be nice" but I know the circumstances as to when and why.

I figured you did, but wasn't sure if others were aware or not.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

baugh17

Quote from: jpi on July 11, 2021, 06:52:29 PM
I plan to get a poll started soon on the dates, the dates do focus around a time when myself and possibly Steph plan to be in the area (if she can get the time off) I had originally planed to do this in April 2020 or April 2021 but we all pretty much know why I put that on hold. Also we would meet for lunch at 11am at one of the local restaurants in the Shrewsbury area, TBD (There is a Cracker Barrel there but that is bottom of the list)  So any and all feedback and thoughts on the rail trail walk will be taken into consideration.

Too early for me to really have a preference but either date would be good.  This will likely be a meet that I would make an effort to attend regardless of the date unless something else got in the way.

signalman

I don't see an issue for me with either date. The 16th might be slightly easier for me only because I know that Sunday the 17th (Easter) I won't have to work, thus making a longer trip (if I ultimately choose to do so) more feasible. If I had to, I could certainly do this as a day trip, but I may just decide to get away a bit longer.

PHLBOS

Given that April 16 falls inside of Easter weekend, and I will likely be in MA visiting family, I selected April 23.

Keeping my eye on this meet.  Hopefully, I won't have to cancel out like I did for the 2016 meet.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

dgolub

4/16 is definitely a no-go for me because of Passover.

jpi

Hi everyone, now that I am back from my 4800 mile road trip\ county clinching I can now focus more on this, it looks like April 23 is the preferred date, I plan to be back in York county next month between 9/20 and 9/25 so I will be doing some more scouting and may check out the restaurant I am planning to host this at. Thanks everyone for the feed back.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

jpi

So it looks like April 23 is the day. I plan to get a facebook page set up and invites sent out the end of next month after I do more scouting and maybe have lunch at the possible restaurant where we will meet up at. Thanks again everyone! April 23 it is! :nod:
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

jpi

Hi Everyone, the date is still set for Saturday April 23, 2022 I lan on doing more scouting next month since I will be back in central PA for a week and then will be posting a facebook event page. stay tuned for more detail or any other updates in the next 6 weeks.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

jpi

Hi Everyone, just so you all know I have not forgotten about this, infact I am planning on making a facebook event for this next week but I have a question, would you all be more willing to do the BYOL option and we meet at the Northern Central Rail Trail parking lot in Springfield Township (York County) and we walk (roughly a mile one way) to Howard Tunnel or stick with my original plan of meeting at one of the restaurants in Shrewsbury (possibly Cracker Barrel) for lunch at 11 and then head out from there? Any feed back would be great.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

Alps

Quote from: jpi on January 05, 2022, 08:47:04 AM
Hi Everyone, just so you all know I have not forgotten about this, infact I am planning on making a facebook event for this next week but I have a question, would you all be more willing to do the BYOL option and we meet at the Northern Central Rail Trail parking lot in Springfield Township (York County) and we walk (roughly a mile one way) to Howard Tunnel or stick with my original plan of meeting at one of the restaurants in Shrewsbury (possibly Cracker Barrel) for lunch at 11 and then head out from there? Any feed back would be great.
I'm a restaurant fan myself but I suggest waiting until we get much closer before making a final decision.

Laura

I made the dumb mistake of not looking at my choir rehearsal calendar before saying that April 23rd is best for me...my choir's 2021 Spring Concert is Sunday the 24th in Towson, MD so dress rehearsal is Saturday the 23rd...

so what I think will happen is that Mike and Rainee will come to the meet on time and I will join you all later. I'd be happy to have dinner afterwards with anyone willing to hang around after the meet.

jpi

Quote from: Laura on January 11, 2022, 08:51:01 AM
I made the dumb mistake of not looking at my choir rehearsal calendar before saying that April 23rd is best for me...my choir's 2021 Spring Concert is Sunday the 24th in Towson, MD so dress rehearsal is Saturday the 23rd...

so what I think will happen is that Mike and Rainee will come to the meet on time and I will join you all later. I'd be happy to have dinner afterwards with anyone willing to hang around after the meet.
Hi Laura, I will definetly keep that in mind, been a little busy right now but again I plan to post the facebook event page next weekend when I won't be on the road for my other hobby or working my regular job (CB)
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

jpi

One more question for everyone, would you all prefer meeting at Cracker barrel which is right off the exit for Shrewsbury and right by the diverging diamond interchange or a local family restaurant called Mason Dixon family restaurant which is on the Susquehanna trail (old US 111) in Shrewsbury which is a typical central PA style family restaurant? reason I ask is I am finally about to post the facebook event later today, thanks everyone
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

SSOWorld

Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

jpi

Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.