News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

AASHTO Fall 2021 meeting

Started by Crown Victoria, October 28, 2021, 12:38:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How long until the Route Numbering committee results from the Fall 2021 meeting are released?

Immediately!
0 (0%)
Within two weeks
1 (4.3%)
Within three months
3 (13%)
Just in time for the Spring 2022 meeting
15 (65.2%)
Never!
4 (17.4%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Voting closed: November 04, 2021, 12:38:55 PM

rickmastfan67

Avalanchez71

I thought that they were going to do the BUS LOOP I-81 thing in NY.

Avalanchez71

Another rubber stamp committee.

Rothman

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on September 26, 2022, 10:22:52 PM
I thought that they were going to do the BUS LOOP I-81 thing in NY.
NY is.  I don't see how what AASHTO did was contrary to the plan...especially when I know NYSDOT's representative... :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

hbelkins

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on September 26, 2022, 10:50:04 PM

AASHTO has no power. It's a voluntary group. There's no reason they shouldn't approve what a state wants. And a state can defy them, or bypass their approval process entirely, without any repercussions.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

zzcarp

Quote from: hbelkins on September 27, 2022, 10:17:34 AM
Quote from: Avalanchez71 on September 26, 2022, 10:50:04 PM

AASHTO has no power. It's a voluntary group. There's no reason they shouldn't approve what a state wants. And a state can defy them, or bypass their approval process entirely, without any repercussions.

IMHO, AASHTO lost whatever route integrity credibility they once had when they approved Colorado's truncating US 85 to an overpass over I-25 with no exit or signage. Yes, they have "no power" but it seems like they could look at an application from the "does this make sense" perspective and at least send some of the more ridiculous ones back for review.
So many miles and so many roads

Avalanchez71

I wonder how much it took to grease a palm to approve US 412 as "412"?

zzcarp

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on September 30, 2022, 12:18:47 AM

Exactly. US 412 could be an x64, US 425 should be an x65, and US 400 should be a state route  :poke: (or really an x-50 or x-54 or even a newly-commissioned x66).

Perhaps the real question is how to get more roadgeeks into the DOTs and appointed as AASHTO reps to strengthen the integrity of the system. I'm too far into my private site civil engineering career to switch to transportation/route planning with a state DOT, but maybe some of the younger folks on this forum could take that on. Maybe we need a private advocacy group pressuring our DOTs and AASHTO. I don't know the answer but I'd love to hear other's thoughts.
So many miles and so many roads

SEWIGuy

Quote from: zzcarp on September 30, 2022, 10:55:27 AM

Exactly. US 412 could be an x64, US 425 should be an x65, and US 400 should be a state route  :poke: (or really an x-50 or x-54 or even a newly-commissioned x66).

Perhaps the real question is how to get more roadgeeks into the DOTs and appointed as AASHTO reps to strengthen the integrity of the system. I'm too far into my private site civil engineering career to switch to transportation/route planning with a state DOT, but maybe some of the younger folks on this forum could take that on. Maybe we need a private advocacy group pressuring our DOTs and AASHTO. I don't know the answer but I'd love to hear other's thoughts.

The "integrity of the system?" The system is by and large just fine...as is US-412.

vdeane

Quote from: SEWIGuy on September 30, 2022, 12:20:12 PM

The "integrity of the system?" The system is by and large just fine...as is US-412.
I guess changing how people view the system would be something an advocacy group would do.  I tend to think of the interstate system as the backbone of automotive transportation in this country, and the numbering as a valuable navigational tool that adds a sense of place to every spot in the system, but it seems like even here that's a minority view, and a practically unheard of view elsewhere - people outside this forum tend to see interstates, at best, as corridors that happen to meet certain standards and political will to get the red, white, and blue shield, or worse, a brand meant to promote business development.

As a DOT employee, I can't form such a group or help run it, but I believe I made a similar comment in the past.

(personal opinion)
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

kphoger

You know, the system that, since the beginning, has had two separate routes numbered US-2.  And US-41 to the east of US-31 all the way from Nashville to the Gulf.  And US-17 to the east of US-1 for–well, for its entirety, right?  Yep, that's the numbering system whose integrity needs to be maintained.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: kphoger on September 30, 2022, 01:06:51 PM

You know, the system that, since the beginning, has had two separate routes numbered US-2.  And US-41 to the east of US-31 all the way from Nashville to the Gulf.  And US-17 to the east of US-1 for–well, for its entirety, right?  Yep, that's the numbering system whose integrity needs to be maintained.

Exactly.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: vdeane on September 30, 2022, 01:01:11 PM

I guess changing how people view the system would be something an advocacy group would do.  I tend to think of the interstate system as the backbone of automotive transportation in this country, and the numbering as a valuable navigational tool that adds a sense of place to every spot in the system, but it seems like even here that's a minority view, and a practically unheard of view elsewhere - people outside this forum tend to see interstates, at best, as corridors that happen to meet certain standards and political will to get the red, white, and blue shield, or worse, a brand meant to promote business development.

Your opinion is your opinion and that's fine, but advocating for the "integrity of the system" seems very anachronistic to me in this day and age when people care much more about the items you list in your last sentence. (And I don't think there is anything wrong with using interstates as a brand for economic development.)

Scott5114

With regards to US-412, at this point the ship has sailed, docked at a foreign port, come back, sailed again, been put in drydock for repair, been sold, bought, sailed again, etc...

What I want is just an explanation of why the number 412 was chosen! Even if it's a dumb reason, I just want to know why that number!
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.