Non-Road Boards > Off-Topic

Oddities that defy conventional wisdom - POPULATION edition

<< < (23/23)

jgb191:
^

Orlando has the Magic (NBA); but yeah you could count Orlando/Tampa-St. Petersburg as Central Florida, Jacksonville is North Florida, and Miami/Ft. Lauderdale as South Florida -- three separate areas

Also If the Greater LA area must have two teams, move one of them to Riverside, Anaheim, or Long Beach.  But I see no reason why any single MSA/CSA should have a plural number of teams; keep it singular.

How far is Norfolk to Washington in terms of straight-line distance?  In a straight line, Austin to San Antonio is 74 miles; Austin to Dallas-Ft. Worth is over 180 miles, Austin to Houston is almost 150 miles.

It doesn't seem like Washington to Baltimore to Philadelphia is spaced all that far out between each.  The Texas cities look to be much more spaced apart.

--- Quote from: kalvado on October 12, 2022, 10:13:32 AM ---While looking at the core cities only is pretty popular; MSAs are telling a different story. My understanding this partially due to the way cities and suburbs, and their annexation, work.
Buffalo MSA - #49, 1.16 million, principal city is 278k, 24%
Corpus Christie MSA -  #132, 423 k, principal city is 326k, 77%

--- End quote ---

I can try something else here:  The Brownsville and McAllen MSAs (which might as well be one larger CSA put together) is comparable to Buffalo-Niagra area.  The Rio Grande Valley area is almost 1.4 million could be closing in on 2 million by the end of this decade.

Rothman:

--- Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on October 12, 2022, 01:33:38 PM ---
--- Quote from: ran4sh on October 12, 2022, 11:12:05 AM ---Plus, the sports teams actually care about media markets rather than MSAs. Because media markets is how the league divides the country into each team's territory, plus allows rural people to contribute to the popularity of their team by watching on TV.

And this is what I was told when I tried to edit the Wikipedia article about sports teams and their MSAs and media markets.

But there is a good video on Youtube by Geography King that explains that some western metro areas have grown large enough to support their own team while some Rust Belt areas have shrunk and they only have teams because they were able to get them in the past.

--- End quote ---

The largest MSAs that don't have major sports teams are all adjacent to or very near larger MSAs that do:

#12 Riverside is adjacent to #2 LA
#23 Orlando is adjacent to #18 Tampa
#28 Austin is triangulated by #4 Dallas, #5 Houston and #24 San Antonio

The existing franchise owners in these areas would block any new or relocated franchises this close to theirs.

The largest MSA that really doesn't have any major teams nearby is #37 Virginia Beach.

If you suddenly gave every fan in every sport a very specific amnesia where they forget what teams they're a fan of (but not what sports), and then re-allocated the existing franchises based only on market size and research, I don't think very many, if any of the older cities would lose franchises.

You might get an NBA team in Columbus instead of Cleveland. Jacksonville's NFL team might end up in Portland, Virginia Beach, or a 2nd team in Chicago.

--- End quote ---
Bring back the Syracuse Nationals.

Bruce:

--- Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on October 12, 2022, 01:33:38 PM ---#12 Riverside is adjacent to #2 LA
#23 Orlando is adjacent to #18 Tampa
#28 Austin is triangulated by #4 Dallas, #5 Houston and #24 San Antonio

--- End quote ---

Orlando and Austin both have MLS teams, so they're covered. Austin-San Antonio is generally considered a single combined market for sports leagues, hence why the former's MLS bid meant the latter's was doomed.

--- Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on October 12, 2022, 01:33:38 PM ---You might get an NBA team in Columbus instead of Cleveland. Jacksonville's NFL team might end up in Portland, Virginia Beach, or a 2nd team in Chicago.

--- End quote ---

Portland is unlikely to get an NFL team, as there is no suitable stadium or a plan to build one.

formulanone:

--- Quote from: Takumi on October 07, 2022, 01:03:36 PM ---
--- Quote from: ran4sh on October 07, 2022, 11:21:29 AM ---
--- Quote from: Dirt Roads on October 07, 2022, 10:30:56 AM ---
--- Quote from: Road Hog on October 07, 2022, 12:03:37 AM ---When the Triangle and the Triad do eventually merge, I propose they call it what rural Tar Heels will love and more liberal ones will hate.

______?

--- End quote ---

Tobacco Road?

--- End quote ---

Piedmont Crescent, and keep the name once that area merges with the Charlotte area

--- End quote ---
Call that monstrosity the Carolina Triplex.

--- End quote ---

The Tri-Oval

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version