Best improvements in automotive-related technology?

Started by ZLoth, November 25, 2022, 11:38:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZLoth

I was listening to Dallas's lone Classical music station on the radio (having jsut canceled my SiriusXM subscription), but the over-the-air FM reception was glitchy due to some nearby power lines, so I switched over to the streaming feed through the Radio Garden, and the audio quality was much better. This lead me to thinking what technical improvements in automotive technology have made driving easier or more enjoyable. I realize this is a subjective list, and some of this is more evolutionary rather than revolutionary, but good food for thought.

My picks:

• Automotive Headlights - Sealed headlights were first introduced in 1939, and used a parabolic reflector. Halogen lights were introduced in 1962. Now High-intensity discharge (HID), LED, and even laser headlights make it easier to see the road and be seen at night.
  • Anti-Lock Brakes - When I was much younger, we were told to "pump" our brakes to avoid our tires locking up and losing control on a wet road. ABS was introduced in the late 1970s on the extremely high-end cars to help retain control and pump much faster than us humans can.
  • RFID (radio frequency identification) Toll Tags - Anyone who has driven a tolled road or bridge a decade or so ago knows of the challenge of coming to a full stop, fishing around the car for loose change, and paying the toll, adding minutes to their long travel. RFID toll tags have improved traffic flow by having the drivers drive through a toll gantry at speed, improving traffic flow and traffic safety especially in the toll booth area.
  • Global Positioning Satellite (GPS) - Anyone who has had uttered the saying "We're lost!!!" and "Where the heck are we?" can appreciate the GPS technology to show us exactly where we are on earth. Bonus feature includes the calculation of speed based uon position.
  • Dashboard Cameras - If you want a example of the combination of both miniaturization of technology and technological improvement, just look at dashcams. The dashcams can fit in the palm of your hand, but with a large microSD memory card, can store many hours of footage. There are YouTube channels which post the questionable behavior of other drivers, plus GPS shows your speed and position in case of a questionable ticket or insurance claim,
  • Car audio... now with Bluetooth - The evolution of car radios has been a subject of many an article. Up until the early 1980s, an AM radio was "standard equipment" with only a single speaker on top of the dashboard, and anything beyond that was a "expensive option". At that point, there were aftermarket options for eight-track, cassette tape, and CDs that, for some vehicles, became standard equipment before being discontinued, with only Toyota, Honda, Nissan, and Ford being the vehicle manufacturers that still offer CD players on certain models. Nowadays, you have a very good sound system in your vehicle, and Bluetooth has gone from just "answering calls" to part of your audio options.
  • Smartphones - You knew I was going to bring this up... but smartphones have to included (in my opinion). These multi-functional devices in a small package replaces multiple devices. GPS Navigation? Yup, replacing dedicated units, and especially helpful when moving to a unfamiliar city. Guide books and restaurant recommendations? There are apps for that. Audio player? There are apps for that to play back music files replacing cassette tapes and CDs. Steaming music services and listening to your favorite hometown station while traveling in another state? You bet. Unabridged audiobook player replacing a stack of CDs or tapes? You got it.

What are your thoughts?
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

Max Rockatansky

-  Traction control has improved to such a point in the last couple decades that rear wheel drive cars have become viable in all climates again.

-  Electronic fuel managment in the last couple decades has allowed internal combustion engines to far surpass the performance (and by far fuel economy) of pre-Malaise era cars by a significant margin.

-  Standardization of airbags since the turn of the 1990s have made all automobiles far safer during crash impact.

GaryV

Electric starter has to be on the list. Getting rid of that crank was a major improvement.

Also, elimination of the gravity-flow fuel system. Some cars had to go backwards up a steep hill so that the gas would still flow to the engine.

I realize both of these are from a long time ago, but they are major improvements.

skluth

The catalytic converter. For those too young to have seen it, the smog around many major cities in the 60s was unbelievable. The smog around Beijing today isn't much different than the LA smog of fifty years ago. The improved health of city children after removing lead from gasoline is also one of the best improvements.

Road Hog

Quote from: skluth on November 26, 2022, 11:37:30 AM
The catalytic converter. For those too young to have seen it, the smog around many major cities in the 60s was unbelievable. The smog around Beijing today isn't much different than the LA smog of fifty years ago. The improved health of city children after removing lead from gasoline is also one of the best improvements.
The next great invention will be an anti-theft device of some sort that keeps thieves from cutting off and stealing these catalytic converters. They cost thousands of dollars to replace on some models.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: ZLoth on November 25, 2022, 11:38:38 PM

• Automotive Headlights - Sealed headlights were first introduced in 1939, and used a parabolic reflector. Halogen lights were introduced in 1962. Now High-intensity discharge (HID), LED, and even laser headlights make it easier to see the road and be seen at night.

I think this one may have gone too far, though. Lights from oncoming vehicles, for example, are often too bright now.[/list]
    Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
    State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Techknow

Integrated camera systems and adaptive cruise control for sure. Having even a camera at the vehicle rear, let alone cameras throughout a luxury car makes it so much easier to park without colliding anything.

I never used adaptive cruise control though (have neither of the above in a 2009 Accord), but I seen some car review videos where someone complained about not having adaptive cruise control in a 2023 GMC Yukon, but had it in a 2016/2017 vehicle they owned.

Rothman

I hate adaptive cruise control.  I think it incentivizes left lane blocking.
    Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

oscar

Quote from: Road Hog on November 26, 2022, 11:45:57 AM
    The next great invention will be an anti-theft device of some sort that keeps thieves from cutting off and stealing these catalytic converters. They cost thousands of dollars to replace on some models.

I had one of them installed on my elderly Prius, after its converter was ripped off while I was on the road with my other car.

The next step is to make those devices standard equipment, or at least an option available through dealers for people like me who don't have garages. I tried to get one for my other car (reportedly also a target for converter theft) when it spent Black Friday in the shop for other work, but Subaru apparently doesn't make or sell them.
    my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
    http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

kurumi

Automatic transmissions have come a long way. In my parents' era, the tradeoff was convenience (auto) vs. purchase price and fuel efficiency (manual). For some drivers, stick shift is more fun as well.

Now stick shifts are less available as a choice for new cars, and automatics have largely caught up in terms of gas mileage.
    My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

skluth

Quote from: kurumi on November 26, 2022, 02:32:01 PM
    Automatic transmissions have come a long way. In my parents' era, the tradeoff was convenience (auto) vs. purchase price and fuel efficiency (manual). For some drivers, stick shift is more fun as well.

Now stick shifts are less available as a choice for new cars, and automatics have largely caught up in terms of gas mileage.

I don't remember a significant difference in stick vs automatic gas mileage but it has gotten even closer. I think the main advantage of sticks is for those drivers who regularly deal with some combo of hilly and snowy/icy conditions. I never found sticks more fun to drive when I owned them but I do like the control it gives drivers.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: skluth on November 26, 2022, 02:38:06 PM
    Quote from: kurumi on November 26, 2022, 02:32:01 PM

I don't remember a significant difference in stick vs automatic gas mileage but it has gotten even closer. I think the main advantage of sticks is for those drivers who regularly deal with some combo of hilly and snowy/icy conditions. I never found sticks more fun to drive when I owned them but I do like the control it gives drivers.

Depends on the kind of automatic transmission, I tend to find CVTs aren't nearly as capable as manual transmissions.

The first car I ever purchased where the automatic was decidedly better was my 2016 Challenger Scat Pack.  The automatic has two extra gears, shifts faster than the manual can and the computer will even manage hill descent automatically.  Considering the automatic had tap shifts I kind of saw it has a no-brainer to go with the automatic. 

That said, I wish that I had waited for a manual in my Impreza.  I bought a CVT off the lot since I was looking to get rid of my previous daily as quickly as possible.  The CVT is fine in most regular circumstances but struggled mightily on grades over 10%.  I do drive grades that steep regularly that I should have waited for the stick. 

Takumi

My Acura TL has the same amount of gears whether you got the automatic or manual. Due to shorter gearing, the manual accelerates faster but gets worse fuel mileage. (Not that the automatic is much better. I barely get 20 in mixed driving.)
    Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
    Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

ZLoth

Quote from: GaryV on November 26, 2022, 06:58:27 AMElectric starter has to be on the list. Getting rid of that crank was a major improvement.

Also, elimination of the gravity-flow fuel system. Some cars had to go backwards up a steep hill so that the gas would still flow to the engine.

I realize both of these are from a long time ago, but they are major improvements.

With all due respect... when did you have to deal with this on your daily driver?
    I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: ZLoth on November 27, 2022, 08:14:55 AM
    Quote from: GaryV on November 26, 2022, 06:58:27 AMElectric starter has to be on the list. Getting rid of that crank was a major improvement.

With all due respect... when did you have to deal with this on your daily driver?

Millions who bought Model T did deal with it.  One drive in a Model T and you realize quick how closely driving used to resemble taking the riding lawnmower out for a spin.  Imagine a less capable version of a riding lawnmower being your commuter or something you drive across the country with.

Rothman

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 27, 2022, 09:55:16 AM

Millions who bought Model T did deal with it.  One drive in a Model T and you realize quick how closely driving used to resemble taking the riding lawnmower out for a spin.  Imagine a less capable version of a riding lawnmower being your commuter or something you drive across the country with.
    Was this also an issue with Model As?
    Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

mgk920

Since many major improvements in automotive technology have come from the race track, I'll cite what I consider to be the two most impotant of those items.

- 1 - the steering wheel.  The night v. day improvement in safety and control over the older lever based steering systems prompted the racing team that developed it to offer the technology free of charge to all of their competitors.

- 2 - The rear view mirror.  After hearing a wail of protests from the other entries, Ray Harroun attached a mirror to the dashboard of his 1911 (the FIRST EVER!) indy racer, Until then, all racing teams had a second guy (a 'riding mechanic') on board all of their cars to serve as a rear-facing lookout and spotter.  He won the race.

Mike

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Rothman on November 27, 2022, 12:22:50 PM

The 1903-04 original or the 1927-31 successor? 

Takumi

Tire pressure monitors that actually tell you the pressure in the tires at all times. Not all cars have this, though they could (looking at you, Honda).
    Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
    Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

74/171FAN

Honestly, having a back-up camera had been a life saver for me.
    I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

GaryV

Not me personally. But that wasn't the question. In your OP, you said,
    This lead me to thinking what technical improvements in automotive technology have made driving easier or more enjoyable.
    The items I listed certainly made driving easier and more enjoyable.

Rothman

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 27, 2022, 03:23:42 PM
    Quote from: Rothman on November 27, 2022, 12:22:50 PM

The 1903-04 original or the 1927-31 successor?
    Successor

Urban Prairie Schooner

The Model T was indeed designed to double as a tractor, in an era when America was far more agrarian.

Urban Prairie Schooner

I wonder if some of the new advances in auto tech such as backup cameras serve to de-skill the driver.  Because older people came of age before they became common, they know perfectly well how to back up a car without a camera; but new younger drivers may not have that knowledge in a pinch. Technology can break or fail, but skills persevere.

Also I question the value of touch screens in vehicles. They don't have any advantages over mechanical buttons or knobs, but cost a lot more to repair when they fail (and being an electronic component, it will certainly fail at some point in the life of the vehicle).  I suppose they can be useful for GPS, but smartphones also have those and in any case, the best GPS is the map "in one's head."

I do appreciate the ability to make phone calls through the vehicle console without having to handle the cellphone. Much safer that way.

1995hoo

Quote from: 74/171FAN on November 27, 2022, 04:17:22 PM
    Honestly, having a back-up camera had been a life saver for me.

When I drive my wife's Acura TLX, I really like the combination of the backup camera and the sonar ("proximity sensors"  in automaker-speak). Especially nice on the rare occasion when I want to back into a parking space, as the feature that lets you change the camera to a straight-down view means I can get nice and close to the line at the far end of the parking space. (Usually this is only important at the parking garage we use for hockey games if it's crowded and I can't pull through to face out towards the exit aisle. But even if I can pull through, I must say the rearview camera makes it easy to park as far back in the space as possible.)

Today's rain had me thinking of how intermittent wipers were a very nice improvement compared to cars that didn't have them (my first car did not).
    "You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
    —Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
    commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
    —Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.