Roadtripping this summer (Toronto to Vancouver thru US)

Started by datorontoroadster, March 09, 2009, 11:09:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

datorontoroadster

We are planning a roadtrip from Toronto to Vancouver, BC this summer and we are following the route:

1. Highway 401 west to Highway 402
2. Highway 402 to I-69 in Michigan
3. I-69 in michigan to I-94 
5. I-94 to I-90 in Montana
6. I-90 in Montana to I-5 in Seattle
7. I-5 in Seattle up to Vancouver

I know I will stay the first night in Chicago and the second night in Minneapolis but there seems to be pretty much nothing but flat land in between Minneapolis and Seattle. How many nights should be spend to drive between Minneapolis and Seattle? Are there any good sites in between?

Coelacanth

Chicago to Minneapolis via I-94 is approximately a 6.5 hour trip. If that's all the ground you're covering in a day then it will take you at least three days to get from Minneapolis to Seattle.

That said, Minneapolis to Bismarck in a day should be pretty doable. The last time I drove it the speed limit was still 55 so I don't know exactly how long it would take these days. That's as far west as I've gone on 94 so I can't help you beyond that.

I can help you with hotel recommendations here in Minneapolis if you need that.

corco

The speed limit is now 75 in ND/MT/ID and 70 in Washington. I think 65 in Minnesota but I'm not positive.

I'd only spend one night, crashing in Billings. That's two ~11 hour days, so its a haul, but there really isn't much to see along that trek. The prettiest part of that, western Montana and Idaho, you should hit during the day if you spend the night in Billings so you'll be able to see it during daylight hours.

SSOWorld

MN is 70

WI and IL are 65 (for IL though, all of I-94 is either 45 (due to construction) or 55.)
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

un1

Why are you going through the US? :-P
If you'd go through Canada you have to go through my hometown, which is about exactly north of Minneapolis. (So you might have to stay a night here)
Moderator of the Canada and Off Topic boards.

Thunder Bay Expressway - Highway 61 and 11/17 Ontario - Thunder Bay, Ontario

ComputerGuy

Just a tip from a Washingtonian: Don't use I-5 during rush hour, I-405 or one of our state routes. Beware of Bellingham and Mount Vernon near the border, only 4 lanes in these cities!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.