News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Tennessee

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 11:51:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

Quote from: VTGoose on September 16, 2022, 09:53:09 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on September 16, 2022, 08:21:52 AM
https://goo.gl/maps/NjxcQaubw4ZjRnWV9

What the hell happened here?  The interchange was recently modified to help improve traffic, yet from this and my drive in TN in July, it seems to have put no dent at all in the ongoing traffic issues here. 

They should have just left the equal split wye instead of spending millions to not help any more easement to this traffic nightmare.

Chattanooga desperately needs a bypass -- not that it would be easy to build one. But a connection from I-24 around the state line east to hit I-75 could probably remove a good bit of the traffic that is funneled into that clogged stretch of interstate.

The last time I was in Chattanooga, I approached from the north via TN 111 and US 27. I needed to get over to US 11 on the northeast side of town. I can't remember the route I took but I wanted to avoid downtown and the hill climb on I-24. The route I ended up using was part surface route with signals, and part expressway with some grade separations. It functioned fairly well for what I needed.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

froggie

^ Probably TN 153, which is freeway from just north of the river to I-75.

roadman65

Quote from: VTGoose on September 16, 2022, 09:53:09 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on September 16, 2022, 08:21:52 AM
https://goo.gl/maps/NjxcQaubw4ZjRnWV9

What the hell happened here?  The interchange was recently modified to help improve traffic, yet from this and my drive in TN in July, it seems to have put no dent at all in the ongoing traffic issues here. 

They should have just left the equal split wye instead of spending millions to not help any more easement to this traffic nightmare.

Chattanooga desperately needs a bypass -- not that it would be easy to build one. But a connection from I-24 around the state line east to hit I-75 could probably remove a good bit of the traffic that is funneled into that clogged stretch of interstate.

Good luck on that. Georgia could care less about Tennessee. They've got their own problems further south.

I'm surprised that they actually maintain the four miles of I-24 in their state. I would figure that TDOT would do that being such a short distance of freeway between another state. I guess I-59 at 20 miles allows for that unlike I-684 in CT connecting to no roads in that state which is why NYSDOT maintains it across the border.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

hbelkins

Is Georgia still coveting water from the Tennessee River?

A trade could be in order -- Tennessee tells Georgia it can have water withdrawal rights if it will build a Chattanooga bypass.

Tomahawkin

This maybe a fantasy land question but are there any plans of any semblance of a Chattanooga bypass. IH 24 is hell to get through if there is any type of accident between Chattanooga and Mounteagle. A lot of truck traffic and vacation traffic from the midwest en route to Florida have to go through Chattanooga....

wriddle082

Quote from: Tomahawkin on September 17, 2022, 08:41:16 PM
This maybe a fantasy land question but are there any plans of any semblance of a Chattanooga bypass. IH 24 is hell to get through if there is any type of accident between Chattanooga and Mounteagle. A lot of truck traffic and vacation traffic from the midwest en route to Florida have to go through Chattanooga....

It would be very difficult to build anything over Lookout Mountain, or tunnel through it, plus I'm sure the residents of that area would not like it one bit.  But if by some miracle something does get built, it needs to start at the 24/59 interchange, be tolled, have a tunnel through the mountain, end in or just above Dalton on 75, and have only one interchange along the way at US 27.

Avalanchez71

Quote from: wriddle082 on September 17, 2022, 08:51:35 PM

It would be very difficult to build anything over Lookout Mountain, or tunnel through it, plus I'm sure the residents of that area would not like it one bit.  But if by some miracle something does get built, it needs to start at the 24/59 interchange, be tolled, have a tunnel through the mountain, end in or just above Dalton on 75, and have only one interchange along the way at US 27.

I just use US 41 and avoid I-24 in this area.

Great Lakes Roads

https://www.wvlt.tv/2022/09/13/sevier-co-mayor-works-create-solution-buc-ees-traffic/

Sevier County leaders are talking about solutions to the anticipation of a lot of people heading to Buc-ee's, creating a lot of traffic within that area.

hbelkins

Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on September 18, 2022, 02:10:47 PM
https://www.wvlt.tv/2022/09/13/sevier-co-mayor-works-create-solution-buc-ees-traffic/

Sevier County leaders are talking about solutions to the anticipation of a lot of people heading to Buc-ee's, creating a lot of traffic within that area.

Is the Buc-ee's going to be at Exit 407? There have already been two improvements to that interchange in the last 25 or so years. First they built a loop ramp from TN 66 north to I-40 west, then they converted the exit into a DDI.

The Kentucky Buc-ee's was built at a fairly new, rural interchange on I-75 that didn't get a lot of use. Concurrent with the arrival of the beaver, a signal was placed at the end of the ramp from southbound I-75, and at the street entrance to Buc-ee's.

BlueRidge

Yes, it's going on the plot of land on the southeast side of the exit that has long been graded and ready for development.

triplemultiplex

Quote from: hbelkins on September 17, 2022, 07:06:37 PM

A trade could be in order -- Tennessee tells Georgia it can have water withdrawal rights if it will build a Chattanooga bypass.

Heh, the same thought popped into my head.
I recall Georgia was trying to say a few years back that the border was surveyed wrong and it should touch the Tennessee River at some point thus giving them rights to pipe water from it down to Atlanta or whatever.
Oh the fun things that happen when silly humans draw straight lines on maps. :P
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Avalanchez71

Quote from: triplemultiplex on September 21, 2022, 12:06:37 PM

I recall Georgia was trying to say a few years back that the border was surveyed wrong and it should touch the Tennessee River at some point thus giving them rights to pipe water from it down to Atlanta or whatever.

Then I guess that Tennessee should ask Kentucky for some land back that was surveyed incorrectly near Portland, TN.

Alps

the tripoint marker begs to differ

elsmere241

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on September 21, 2022, 10:29:05 PM

Then I guess that Tennessee should ask Kentucky for some land back that was surveyed incorrectly near Portland, TN.

A good chunk of the Tennessee-Kentucky line was mis-surveyed in Tennessee's favor, along the Walker Line.

rte66man

From the Tennessee Lookout:
https://tennesseelookout.com/briefs/advisory-group-projects-looming-deficits-in-tennessee-road-and-highway-project-funding/

Advisory group projects looming deficits in Tennessee road and highway project funding
BY: ANITA WADHWANI - SEPTEMBER 29, 2022 7:15 AM

Higher road construction costs and the increased use of electric and fuel efficient vehicles will take an increasing bite out of revenues needed to keep Tennessee's public road and bridges repaired and replaced, a government advisory group told lawmakers Wednesday.

By 2040, 10% of all vehicles on Tennessee's roadways are projected to be electric. Those drivers won't be paying the state's gas tax, which has traditionally provided the bulk of funding for state and local road repair and construction projects.

At the same time, the average national vehicle fuel efficiency is expected to increase, from 23-miles-per-gallon today to 30-miles-per-gallon by 2040, further limiting consumers' fuel purchases – and the payment of fuel taxes.

Meanwhile, inflationary costs associated with roadwork are soaring; by 2040, at current rates of inflation, Tennessee will see a $399 million reduction in its gas tax spending power, according to the Tennessee Advisory Commission on Intergovernmental Relations, or TACIR.

"While the growing adoption of EV's may not become a major issue for road funding in Tennessee for decades, it, along with changes in fuel economy, increasing inflation and decisions about the distribution of various fees points to a need for future modifications to Tennessee's road funding system,"  Bob Moreo, TACIR research manager told lawmakers.

TACIR provided initial recommendations for lawmakers to consider when the General Assembly reconvenes in January.

They include sharing the current $100 registration fee currently required from electric vehicle owners with city and county governments for their road work projects – a similar model to the revenue sharing with the state's fuel tax collections.

The advisory commission also recommends regular reporting by the Department of Revenue to the legislature tracking the impact of inflation on the state's road funding.

And, commission members urged lawmakers to focus on policies that balance the ability to raise revenues with equity for drivers, no matter what vehicle they drive.

Tennessee has 96,000 miles of public roads and 20,000 bridges. While the federal government provides state funding for road work, it is designated only for about 1/5  of all of the state's roads and highways. Road repair and building funding comes primarily from vehicle registration fees and the gas tax, paid by every consumer at the pump.
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

Plutonic Panda

North Carolina and Tennessee are gonna have to come up with some pretty radical solutions. It seems like every time you hear about their funding situation always gets worse. Are there any current proposals to fix that?

Avalanchez71

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on October 02, 2022, 07:12:57 AM
North Carolina and Tennessee are gonna have to come up with some pretty radical solutions. It seems like every time you hear about their funding situation always gets worse. Are there any current proposals to fix that?
Don't spend money when not needed.

civilengineeringnerd

completely toll I-24, I-65, and I-40 throughout the volunteer state. have express lane tolls around the urban areas if need be and have electronic tolls for the stretches. have satellite tolls for the rest.
either that or have some kind of extra tax on hybrid and electric vehicles, which i wouldn't recommend.
Every once in awhile declare peace! it confuses the hell outta your enemies!

codyg1985

Quote from: civilengineeringnerd on November 09, 2022, 02:00:33 PM
completely toll I-24, I-65, and I-40 throughout the volunteer state. have express lane tolls around the urban areas if need be and have electronic tolls for the stretches. have satellite tolls for the rest.
either that or have some kind of extra tax on hybrid and electric vehicles, which i wouldn't recommend.

I could see express lanes working in Nashville if they are implemented correctly, but tolling the remainder of the interstates would be a non-starter. TDOT will hopefully be able to at least finish widening I-65 north from Nashville to Kentucky in the next 7 years or so.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

Tomahawkin

I think it's imperative for the Nashville area to have toll lanes simply to keep up with the growth and sprawl in the suburbs. Toll roads really help avoiding tie-ups during weekends  and on Get-away days during the holidays. The Same issue is present in Arkansas because the state outlaws toll roads which is so backwards!

Ted$8roadFan

There's also a lot of traffic from the Northeast headed to the Gulf Coast states and Texas (and vice versa) avoiding the Megalopolis and Atlanta, following  I-81, I-40, and  I-75. I-24/59 is an important link.

The I-75/24 interchange in Chattanooga was clogged in the middle of the afternoon on a Tuesday when I was there. I-24 itself was kind of interesting by interstate standards. I would have enjoyed it more if it weren't for the truck traffic struggling up the incline (and one truck spilling its load of wood beams) as well as the sudden congestion creating white knuckle driving conditions.

The area could definitely use a bypass, with so much traffic coming through the area.  But  I imagine that the cost and complexity make it next to impossible. I also agree that Georgia has little incentive to invest large sums of money into a project that would benefit another state.

Great Lakes Roads

codyg1985

Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on November 29, 2022, 08:43:14 PM
https://www.wkrn.com/news/tennessee-politics/toll-lanes-in-tennessee-state-leaders-considering-options-to-replace-declining-gas-tax-revenue/

Toll lanes in Tennessee? State leaders considering options to replace declining gas tax revenue

I could see toll lanes working in the Nashville metro, but I don't know how it would help the downtown loop though with how scrunched up the interstates are to existing buildings.
Cody Goodman

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: codyg1985 on November 30, 2022, 09:23:06 AM
https://www.wkrn.com/news/tennessee-politics/toll-lanes-in-tennessee-state-leaders-considering-options-to-replace-declining-gas-tax-revenue/

Toll lanes in Tennessee? State leaders considering options to replace declining gas tax revenue

I could see toll lanes working in the Nashville metro, but I don't know how it would help the downtown loop though with how scrunched up the interstates are to existing buildings.
Im just gonna say it. Bridges and tunnels. The rest of the world can do it. With tolls it should make it much more feasible.

codyg1985

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on November 30, 2022, 09:33:15 AM
Quote from: codyg1985 on November 30, 2022, 09:23:06 AM

Im just gonna say it. Bridges and tunnels. The rest of the world can do it. With tolls it should make it much more feasible.

Maybe a I-635 Texpress style set of buried toll lanes through the downtown loop? I still wonder how the maintenance of traffic would happen if those were built through there with limited right of way.

I-24 between I-440 and US 231 in Murfreesboro I could see being an excellent candidate for the toll lanes.
Cody Goodman

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.