News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Tennessee

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 11:51:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sprjus4

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on May 01, 2023, 06:41:40 PM
Where might the toll lanes be constructed first? I would imagine either in Memphis or Nashville, since they may not be needed in Knoxville or Chattanooga.
I would imagine conversion of the existing HOV lanes in Nashville... however this bill does not seem to support HO/T lanes, which allow HOV-2+ to drive for free. That would be needed to make this more fair, otherwise you're taking away an existing free HOV lane from carpoolers, and likely increasing congestion further when they opt to not pay.

froggie

Quote from: MikeTheActuary on May 01, 2023, 07:12:31 PM
Assuming tolling of the Lexus lanes is backed up by cameras, I wonder if the state legislature will remember they have this law on the books:  https://casetext.com/statute/tennessee-code/title-55-motor-and-other-vehicles/chapter-8-operation-of-vehicles-rules-of-the-road/part-1-operation-of-vehicles-rules-of-the-road/section-55-8-198-citations-based-on-unmanned-traffic-enforcement-cameras

(Currently, there's no practical consequence for ignoring tickets issued because of red light or speed cameras in TN.)

Reading through the bill text, it looks like the Legislature modified 55-8-198 so that vehicle owners who rack up 3 or more violations within 12 months will have their vehicle registration suspended.

Not much of a "practical consequence", but it's there...

hbelkins

Quote from: froggie on May 02, 2023, 09:15:11 AM
Quote from: MikeTheActuary on May 01, 2023, 07:12:31 PM
Assuming tolling of the Lexus lanes is backed up by cameras, I wonder if the state legislature will remember they have this law on the books:  https://casetext.com/statute/tennessee-code/title-55-motor-and-other-vehicles/chapter-8-operation-of-vehicles-rules-of-the-road/part-1-operation-of-vehicles-rules-of-the-road/section-55-8-198-citations-based-on-unmanned-traffic-enforcement-cameras

(Currently, there's no practical consequence for ignoring tickets issued because of red light or speed cameras in TN.)

Reading through the bill text, it looks like the Legislature modified 55-8-198 so that vehicle owners who rack up 3 or more violations within 12 months will have their vehicle registration suspended.

Not much of a "practical consequence", but it's there...

You mean I can ignore those scary red-light camera messages next time I'm on Stone Drive (US 11W) in Kingsport? Yee haw!

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

civilengineeringnerd

Quote from: sprjus4 on May 01, 2023, 07:14:43 PM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on May 01, 2023, 06:41:40 PM
Where might the toll lanes be constructed first? I would imagine either in Memphis or Nashville, since they may not be needed in Knoxville or Chattanooga.
I would imagine conversion of the existing HOV lanes in Nashville... however this bill does not seem to support HO/T lanes, which allow HOV-2+ to drive for free. That would be needed to make this more fair, otherwise you're taking away an existing free HOV lane from carpoolers, and likely increasing congestion further when they opt to not pay.
personally i welcome the idea of toll lanes, they need express toll lanes along the 3 major interstates in tennessee, I-40, I-65 and I-24, to give people a option thats less full of trucks. especially I-40 along the entire length, given its a massive truck route. tennessee has always been behind the times because for whatever reason tennessee has hated leasing out infrastructure to the private sector.
Every once in awhile declare peace! it confuses the hell outta your enemies!

sprjus4

A single express toll lanes becomes a problem when you have one car that's going 65 mph the whole time, and a whole queue stacks behind for miles without any passing allowance.

civilengineeringnerd

Quote from: sprjus4 on July 05, 2023, 02:36:35 PM
A single express toll lanes becomes a problem when you have one car that's going 65 mph the whole time, and a whole queue stacks behind for miles without any passing allowance.
true. its why dual express toll lanes should be a thing.

froggie

Most normal people using said express toll lane would be doing so because traffic in the regular lanes is going a good bit less than 65.

sprjus4

Quote from: froggie on July 05, 2023, 09:21:53 PM

Most normal people using said express toll lane would be doing so because traffic in the regular lanes is going a good bit less than 65.
I was referring to if they implemented rural express lanes for hundreds of miles on I-40, like he suggested. Not in congested urban areas.

civilengineeringnerd

Quote from: sprjus4 on July 05, 2023, 11:53:28 PM

I was referring to if they implemented rural express lanes for hundreds of miles on I-40, like he suggested. Not in congested urban areas.
which is understandable. I-40 is a major east-west truck corridor, so i imagine express toll lanes would be used by travelers, RVs and commuters for the most part, truckers will probably use the general purpose lanes.
plus it could split up traffic indirectly.

The Ghostbuster

I'm sure there will eventually be express toll lanes in Nashville, but what about Memphis? Could express toll lanes be built there (I doubt express toll lanes will ever be needed anywhere else in the state)?

sprjus4

Quote from: civilengineeringnerd on July 07, 2023, 09:19:45 PM

which is understandable. I-40 is a major east-west truck corridor, so i imagine express toll lanes would be used by travelers, RVs and commuters for the most part, truckers will probably use the general purpose lanes.
RVs... yeah I can easily see an RV fluctuating between 55 and 75 mph in a single lane toll lane with traffic aggressively stacking up behind with zero passing zones. Let alone a driver not paying attention to speed. Terrible idea.

I already take some issue with urban single toll lanes that aren't at least two lanes, I could not see it viable in rural areas with higher speeds of traffic.

civilengineeringnerd

Quote from: sprjus4 on July 07, 2023, 11:18:54 PM
Quote from: civilengineeringnerd on July 07, 2023, 09:19:45 PM

RVs... yeah I can easily see an RV fluctuating between 55 and 75 mph in a single lane toll lane with traffic aggressively stacking up behind with zero passing zones. Let alone a driver not paying attention to speed. Terrible idea.

I already take some issue with urban single toll lanes that aren't at least two lanes, I could not see it viable in rural areas with higher speeds of traffic.
all the reason why dual toll lanes might be better. plus theres always gonna be a grandma driving in a old lincoln town car doing 55 on the interstate.

sprjus4

^ Traditional 6 lane widening would address many of the issues along major freight corridors like I-40. There's not enough traffic volume overall to warrant 8 lanes, the highway almost operates adequately with just 4 lanes, the concentration of slow moving trucks is the issue a third lane would alleviate.

lordsutch

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on July 07, 2023, 10:36:19 PM
I'm sure there will eventually be express toll lanes in Nashville, but what about Memphis? Could express toll lanes be built there (I doubt express toll lanes will ever be needed anywhere else in the state)?

The congestion studies appendix for Memphis showed the HOV lanes on I-40 being replaced with two reversible managed express lanes.

The Ghostbuster

I see they are planning to add a bunch of ramp meters to on-ramps within the Memphis area. Are ramps meters common in Tennessee?

wriddle082

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on July 18, 2023, 03:41:25 PM
I see they are planning to add a bunch of ramp meters to on-ramps within the Memphis area. Are ramps meters common in Tennessee?

AFAIK these will probably be the first.  But they just recently finished the I-24 Smart Corridor between Nashville and Murfreesboro, and it might have ramp meters now.  I haven't been on I-24 in the Nashville area since last fall.

Tomahawkin

IMO, ramp meters do little to alleviate traffic issues especially when the interchange is antiquated. The Atlanta area is full of said interchanges. I have the same opinion in the usage of DDI's. They don't do much to help interchanges that have excessive traffic volumes

The Nashville area will soon find that out. It seems that there are several antiquated interchanges inside of the 840 corridor?

codyg1985

Quote from: wriddle082 on July 19, 2023, 06:32:30 AM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on July 18, 2023, 03:41:25 PM

AFAIK these will probably be the first.  But they just recently finished the I-24 Smart Corridor between Nashville and Murfreesboro, and it might have ramp meters now.  I haven't been on I-24 in the Nashville area since last fall.

No ramp meters along I-24 yet. The second phase of the Smart Corridor project installed the lane control and variable speed limit signs.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

Georgia Guardrail

Does anyone know if there are any plans in the works to reconstruct the Western I-75/I-40 Interchange Split?  The curves on the flyovers are awfully sharp IMO.

codyg1985

Quote from: Georgia Guardrail on August 02, 2023, 04:17:56 PM
Does anyone know if there are any plans in the works to reconstruct the Western I-75/I-40 Interchange Split?  The curves on the flyovers are awfully sharp IMO.

Not that I am aware, but IMO they should extend the fourth lane of the I-40/75 concurrency from TN 131 west to the western split. They may also want to consider braided ramps between the Watt Road interchange and the I-40/75 split since lots of trucks head for the truck stops off of that interchange and there isn't much weaving room (3/4 of a mile) between the interchanges.
Cody Goodman

The Ghostbuster

The only modification I think should be made is widening the Interstate 40 West/Interstate 75 North/Interstate 640 East ramp from one lane to two, if such an expansion is warranted.

wriddle082

Quote from: codyg1985 on August 02, 2023, 04:23:38 PM
Quote from: Georgia Guardrail on August 02, 2023, 04:17:56 PM

Not that I am aware, but IMO they should extend the fourth lane of the I-40/75 concurrency from TN 131 west to the western split. They may also want to consider braided ramps between the Watt Road interchange and the I-40/75 split since lots of trucks head for the truck stops off of that interchange and there isn't much weaving room (3/4 of a mile) between the interchanges.

I'm thinking the fourth lane expansion may be on the books, as well as a six lane widening of I-75 down to at least US 321, if not to TN 72.  And yes, braided ramps for the Watt Rd exit are definitely needed, as well as a rebuild of the Watt Rd overpass.  Or as an alternative, they could widen the median west of Watt Rd and build a set of median on and off ramps to serve traffic coming from 40 east and going to 75 south, which would eliminate the need for the lane changes.  Sure, left exits and entrances should be discouraged, but there is enough room here to make them longer than usual to encourage slowing down or speeding up.

bwana39

Quote from: Tomahawkin on July 19, 2023, 02:11:05 PM
IMO, ramp meters do little to alleviate traffic issues especially when the interchange is antiquated. The Atlanta area is full of said interchanges. I have the same opinion in the usage of DDI's. They don't do much to help interchanges that have excessive traffic volumes

The Nashville area will soon find that out. It seems that there are several antiquated interchanges inside of the 840 corridor?

Texas took all of their ramp meters out decades ago. All they did was cause rear end collisions.
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

Plutonic Panda

I think there's a Goldilocks zone so to speak where ramp meters help but it isn't often. It seems like when congestion gets too bad in California they just get turned off because they don't do any good. When traffic is completely free flowing there's no need for them either.

codyg1985

TDOT has a project on its October letting to reconfigure the I-75 interchange at Hamilton Place Mall in Chattanooga.

More info about this project can be found here.
Cody Goodman

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.