News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Florida

Started by FLRoads, January 21, 2009, 12:31:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FLRoads

Wekiva Parkway deal reached...could be complete by 2021 and cost up to $1.8 billion. Orange County Expressway Authority will own about six miles of the 25 mile loop within Orange and south Lake County while the state owning the remainder portion.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/orange/os-expressway-board-snyder-20111114,0,716459.story

realjd

Here you go you impatient jerks:

Interesting that it says Viera. I would have chosen Patrick AFB as the second destination.

realjd

Quote from: flaroads on November 14, 2011, 08:03:01 PM
Wekiva Parkway deal reached...could be complete by 2021 and cost up to $1.8 billion. Orange County Expressway Authority will own about six miles of the 25 mile loop within Orange and south Lake County while the state owning the remainder portion.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/orange/os-expressway-board-snyder-20111114,0,716459.story

That's a much needed road for the Orlando area, but I'm a bit worried that they'll be able to do it in an environmentally safe manner. Thats area is very sensitive from an environmental standpoint.

formulanone

Quote from: realjd on November 15, 2011, 08:32:31 AM

¡sʞuɐɥʇ

QuoteI would have chosen Patrick AFB as the second destination.

Air Force bases tend to be closed more often than entire cities, I suppose.

realjd

Quote from: formulanone on November 15, 2011, 10:13:18 AM

The old Wickham Road exit signage was Satellite Beach and Patrick AFB IIRC, and Patrick is a major destination along the Pineda. Pineda doesn't go anywhere near Viera. If they wanted to sign an unincorporated master planned community, Suntree would have been more accurate. Even Merritt Island would have been more appropriate.

There are plans to extend Lake Andrew and potentially Stadium Pkwy south to intersect Pineda west of 95 which would provide southern access into Viera, but that's years from completion. I guess they were future-proofing the signage.

It's interesting that it's signed SR404 even though it isn't west of Wickham.

DeaconG

Quote from: realjd on November 15, 2011, 11:17:38 AM
Quote from: formulanone on November 15, 2011, 10:13:18 AM

The old Wickham Road exit signage was Satellite Beach and Patrick AFB IIRC, and Patrick is a major destination along the Pineda. Pineda doesn't go anywhere near Viera. If they wanted to sign an unincorporated master planned community, Suntree would have been more accurate. Even Merritt Island would have been more appropriate.

There are plans to extend Lake Andrew and potentially Stadium Pkwy south to intersect Pineda west of 95 which would provide southern access into Viera, but that's years from completion. I guess they were future-proofing the signage.

It's interesting that it's signed SR404 even though it isn't west of Wickham.

I don't know who is designing those signs on I-95, but every time I see them I find myself going "must...not...use...fist...of...death..." :banghead:
Would it bother them to at least be consistent?

The two Palm Bay exit signs and the ones in Cocoa are the only ones that are graphically consistent...the rest makes me think the sign designer was either on a bender or incompetent. :crazy:

It's one of those "push big red button" items for me.
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

NE2

Quote from: realjd on November 15, 2011, 08:49:59 AM
That's a much needed road for the Orlando area, but I'm a bit worried that they'll be able to do it in an environmentally safe manner. Thats area is very sensitive from an environmental standpoint.
Apparently it's being designed with long bridges for bears etc. to cross underneath, and the existing SR 46 will be removed in places. (The parkway will be free there.)
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Ace10

Yes! Using the existing ROW from SR 46 seems like the best idea, environment-wise.

Nice to see SR 404 make an appearance on I-95. Time to update my road data!

NE2

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

realjd

Quote from: Ace10 on November 15, 2011, 08:53:33 PM
Yes! Using the existing ROW from SR 46 seems like the best idea, environment-wise.

Nice to see SR 404 make an appearance on I-95. Time to update my road data!

Keep in mind that it isn't officially SR404 until east of Wickham Road. On the Pineda Extension it's signed "To 404" eastbound and "To I-95" westbound. If the guide signs were technically correct, they'd include the "to" modifier also, or maybe a Brevard County 404 instead (assuming the county assigned it a number).

NE2

Does Brevard assign any numbers, or do they just let FDOT post shields at state road intersections? (FDOT hasn't given the extension a number as of June, though the piece from CR 509 to US 1 is CR 404.)

Ace10

I dug up the FDOT Shapefiles (as of July 30 of this year) and it appears that the Road ID for SR 404 (70004000) terminates at Wickham Rd (CR 509), and the extension (which has a different ID, 70000402) continues on a different ROW past Wickham to I-95. The shapefiles also include the interchange with I-95 complete with ramps.

So just because the Road IDs are different doesn't mean SR 404 (the designation) won't be extended westward to I-95. It could also be the county road designation that gets applied, but I highly doubt that if *SR* 404 is already signed on the BGS's on I-95.

NE2, the road I mentioned above (70000402) exists from CR 509 (and beyond to I-95) to just west of the interchange with US 1. Is this signed as CR 404? The road above which terminates at CR 509 (and doesn't go any further, except to a residential area) is the original 70004000.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: realjd on November 15, 2011, 08:32:31 AM

[picture]

Interesting that it says Viera. I would have chosen Patrick AFB as the second destination.

Thanks for posting that.  Now I can add it to I-95's file over on the CHM site. :cool:

NE2

Quote from: Ace10 on November 15, 2011, 10:38:20 PM
NE2, the road I mentioned above (70000402) exists from CR 509 (and beyond to I-95) to just west of the interchange with US 1. Is this signed as CR 404? The road above which terminates at CR 509 (and doesn't go any further, except to a residential area) is the original 70004000.
I haven't been over there in years. http://www.dot.state.fl.us/planning/statistics/fedaid/fedaidrpt.pdf (p. 134) has the new extension (including east of CR 509) and p. 135 has CR/SR 404. Not that there's any point in FDOT recognizing this as CR 404...

Google has Street View photos of the extension but not the I-95 ramps. Eastbound signage can be interpreted as either SR 404 reassurance or a badly-installed trailblazer, and westbound has only I-95 signage. Signs on CR 509 only point SR 404 east (on what's officially unnumbered about halfway to US 1, then CR 404). CR 509 is not signed at all (Brevard doesn't seem to do any county road signage). Any of this, of course, may have changed since Google's photos.

NE2

florida

Quote from: NE2 on November 15, 2011, 10:04:24 PM
Does Brevard assign any numbers, or do they just let FDOT post shields at state road intersections? (FDOT hasn't given the extension a number as of June, though the piece from CR 509 to US 1 is CR 404.)

It's very sporadic signage. There are signs for CR 509 and CR 511 on US 192, but they're JCT assemblies. Then, there's CR 502 signed at the I-95/SR 519 interchange (NB off-ramp and SR 519 mainline), and CR 3 signed on both SR 404 and SR 518.
So many roads...so little time.

D-Dey65

I don't know if this has been covered yet, but I just discovered a major design flaw in the reconstruction of the I-295 interchange with Florida SR 21 and Collins Road:
http://www.i295florida.com/upload/documents/I295_Collins_Road_Schematic_Rev_Jan_2011.pdf
I don't know about the rest of you, but the east end of the C-D roads are a little too close to the interchange with US 17 for my tastes. Creates the potential for dangerous weaving, as we had with I-75 between I-275 and SR 56, and as we still have on Southern State Parkway between Robert Moses Causeway's north-to-east ramp, and the Sagtikos Parkway's east-to-north left exit.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: D-Dey65 on November 30, 2011, 09:03:54 PM
I don't know if this has been covered yet, but I just discovered a major design flaw in the reconstruction of the I-295 interchange with Florida SR 21 and Collins Road:
http://www.i295florida.com/upload/documents/I295_Collins_Road_Schematic_Rev_Jan_2011.pdf
I don't know about the rest of you, but the east end of the C-D roads are a little too close to the interchange with US 17 for my tastes. Creates the potential for dangerous weaving, as we had with I-75 between I-275 and SR 56, and as we still have on Southern State Parkway between Robert Moses Causeway's north-to-east ramp, and the Sagtikos Parkway's east-to-north left exit.

I could see them doing something similar to what they did in NC with the NC-115 interchange on I-85 with it being so close to I-74/US-311.

http://g.co/maps/nwccc

That would eliminate any weaving problems.

NE2

I just discovered that the moon landing was actually footage of a Mars landing from the 1940s.

I don't know about the rest of you, but the east end of the C-D roads are a little too close to the interchange with US 17 for my tastes.
How close are they? The schematic doesn't label distances.

agentsteel53

Quote from: NE2 on November 30, 2011, 10:05:02 PM
I just discovered that the moon landing was actually footage of a Mars landing from the 1940s.

nah dude, that was all faked in 1929 on a soundstage on Neptune.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Takumi

Jake, that was totally a hoax. Neptune didn't have soundstages until 1932.

*crickets*
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

agentsteel53

Quote from: Takumi on November 30, 2011, 11:32:41 PM
Jake, that was totally a hoax. Neptune didn't have soundstages until 1932.

*crickets*

that's what they'd like you to believe.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

D-Dey65

Got a reply from FDOT Region #2 yesterday;

QuoteI appreciate your comments.  The Department's schematic diagram that you referenced in your below e-mail is a little misleading due to the scale.  The attached Signing and Pavement Marking Plans for the section of I-295 between the US 17 and Blanding Interchanges gives a more accurate representation of the proposed lane configuration and geometry.  

The minimum required entrance / exit ramp spacing is 1600'.  Traveling from the Blanding Interchange to the US 17 Interchange, there is approximately 5200' between the Collector Distributor Road on-ramp and the US 17 off-ramp.  Traveling from the US 17 Interchange to the Blanding Interchange, there is approximately 1800' between the US 17 on-ramp and the Collector Distributor Road off-ramp.

To help mitigate weaving issues in the vicinity of the US 17 Interchange, the Department will construct auxiliary lanes in each direction as shown in the attachment.

Please let me know if you have additional comments or need additional information.

Thank you for your interest in this project.

Will Lyons
Florida Department of Transportation - District 2
Consultant Project Management - MS 2804
2198 Edison Ave., Jacksonville, FL, 32204-2730
So it's not as bad as the map suggests, but it's not that great. Unfortunatley the only things I remember about it are from my road trips to New York City & Long Island.

rickmastfan67

Mind posting a screen shot of the said attachment? ;)

D-Dey65

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on December 06, 2011, 09:05:28 PM
Mind posting a screen shot of the said attachment? ;)
I have the link at my previous message on this issue. If I can't find a way to convert a PDF file into a JPG, you're going to have to settle for that.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.