News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Florida Turnpike - North Extension

Started by edwaleni, January 05, 2022, 09:48:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ran4sh

I don't think so. Florida may be growing but most of that growth is occurring in the main part of the state, not the part that would be served by a Turnpike north extension.
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

Sani

Quote from: roadman65 on August 09, 2022, 11:03:37 AM
The current roads can't handle the growth, it's got to go through. Plus more growth will be coming to make it worse.  Most of Levy is protected wilderness so possible Walmart and home building is not going to be generated if it goes through there.

The problem lies with Citrus as they are the core of the NIMBY of this as they want it built, but don't do it where I can see it.
Population growth between the 2010 and 2020 census was only 5.2% for Levy County and 8.9% for Citrus County. It's not the double-digit growth seen in the suburban and exurban counties of Tampa Bay and Orlando. There's plenty of other developable land in Florida that's much closer to beaches and existing infrastructure. Expansion of existing roads and highways should be more than sufficient. No one's building skyscrapers on Cedar Key anytime soon.

D-Dey65

Quote from: Sani on August 12, 2022, 05:26:13 PM
No one's building skyscrapers on Cedar Key anytime soon.
I sure hope not. Whatever improvements are needed for Cedar Key and the rest of Levy County, transforming it into the next Clearwater Beach isn't one of them. However, if somebody decided to re-establish Rosewood as the thriving Afro-American community it originally was before white bigots came in and massacred the people, I'd be alright with that.

I also wouldn't mind seeing the rest of Levy CR 345 upgraded back into a state road south of Levy CR 332.

roadman65

Quote from: D-Dey65 on August 15, 2022, 09:38:02 PM
Quote from: Sani on August 12, 2022, 05:26:13 PM
No one's building skyscrapers on Cedar Key anytime soon.
I sure hope not. Whatever improvements are needed for Cedar Key and the rest of Levy County, transforming it into the next Clearwater Beach isn't one of them. However, if somebody decided to re-establish Rosewood as the thriving Afro-American community it originally was before white bigots came in and massacred the people, I'd be alright with that.

I also wouldn't mind seeing the rest of Levy CR 345 upgraded back into a state road south of Levy CR 332.

No one ever thought that Ocala would ever become developed, but look at it now and surrounding Marion County. Warehousing and new homes galore.

Give it thirty years and it will be like Sarasota and tall condos all over the island.  Plus a Super Walmart on SR 24 before you leave the mainland onto the island will Grace the present two lane highway.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Tomahawkin

Bump, This hurricane that could hit areas north of Tampa should necessiate this extension and make it a Priority, IMO. I cant imagine what its like to get 350K-500K residents to evacuate the area where there is only 1 north/south inerstate to use. The traffic is going to be utter hell

roadman65

Quote from: Tomahawkin on September 26, 2022, 07:38:30 PM
Bump, This hurricane that could hit areas north of Tampa should necessiate this extension and make it a Priority, IMO. I cant imagine what its like to get 350K-500K residents to evacuate the area where there is only 1 north/south inerstate to use. The traffic is going to be utter hell

Well we will see. Yes, another freeway is a great option, but way too many people are involved. So different opinions and that causes problems.  This could change their minds or change it for a short while before going back. 

Then the NIMBY attitude: Build the road as long as it's down the road or in someone else's backyard.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Avalanchez71

Quote from: Tomahawkin on September 26, 2022, 07:38:30 PM

What about US 19, US 301, US 41, US 441, US 27 and US 17?  Not to mention Florida has a neat network of posted state routes and county routes.

Jaxrunner

I think the best option is to upgrade US 19 to bypass the few towns between the end of the suncoast parkway and I 10. Most of the route is rural with little population. I would like to see done to US 19 what FDOT did to US 301 by building the Starke Bypass.

Avalanchez71

Quote from: Jaxrunner on September 26, 2022, 11:39:28 PM
I think the best option is to upgrade US 19 to bypass the few towns between the end of the suncoast parkway and I 10. Most of the route is rural with little population. I would like to see done to US 19 what FDOT did to US 301 by building the Starke Bypass.

US 19 is a breeze between Crystal River and the turn-off at Capps.  Then from there north is another breeze to Georgia.

The Ghostbuster

Even if the Turnpike is not extended beyond Interstate 75, would it be possible (or practical) to convert the 75/FT interchange into a full interchange? Or would the turnpike mainline have to be shifted southward to make a full interchange possible?

pianocello

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on September 28, 2022, 02:54:59 PM
Even if the Turnpike is not extended beyond Interstate 75, would it be possible (or practical) to convert the 75/FT interchange into a full interchange? Or would the turnpike mainline have to be shifted southward to make a full interchange possible?

The preliminary drawings I saw had the Turnpike go north about halfway between the US 301 and I-75 interchanges, and then turn west and cross I-75 at more of a right angle a few miles north of SR 44. The drawings were preliminary enough that I don't think any ramp configurations had been determined yet.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

Avalanchez71

Why is this necessary?  Are you trying to go SR 91(FT) North to SR 93 (I-75) South?  If so just go to the next exit and flip around.  You could get off at US 301 as well then head to CR 470.

Alps

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on September 30, 2022, 12:49:18 AM

Why is this necessary?  Are you trying to go SR 91(FT) North to SR 93 (I-75) South?  If so just go to the next exit and flip around.  You could get off at US 301 as well then head to CR 470.

Freeway to freeway should always be full movements allowed. I would love to have I-80 West to I-280 East and vice versa in NJ - easy way between Livingston and Wayne for example.

Avalanchez71

Quote from: Alps on September 30, 2022, 12:59:25 AM
Quote from: Avalanchez71 on September 30, 2022, 12:49:18 AM

Freeway to freeway should always be full movements allowed. I would love to have I-80 West to I-280 East and vice versa in NJ - easy way between Livingston and Wayne for example.
I sure would like to see a traffic count study on this one.  I doubt such a thing would be warranted.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.