News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Minor things that bother you

Started by planxtymcgillicuddy, November 27, 2019, 12:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frankenroad

Quote from: doorknob60 on May 14, 2021, 02:56:05 PM
Quote from: US 89 on May 14, 2021, 12:55:42 PM
When people abbreviate time zones xST but meant xDT.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. It seems like literally 80-90% of people get this wrong. They'll say "Eastern Standard Time", without stopping to think for a second what standard means. If you don't want to think about it, just say ET, PT, etc.

This drives me nuts as well.   It was really bad about 15 years ago when I worked for a company with major offices in both Cincinnati and Indianapolis (which are only about 100 miles apart).   In the winter, we were all on EST, but in the summer, Cincinnati was on EDT, while Indianapolis remained on EST.  More people missed meetings because they did not understand the difference between EST and EDT.   In recent years, Indiana began observing DST, so I assume this problem has been reduced.
2di's clinched: 44, 66, 68, 71, 72, 74, 78, 83, 84(east), 86(east), 88(east), 96

Highways I've lived on M-43, M-185, US-127

kphoger

My boss used to do this.

–  ... Central Standard Time.
–  You mean Central Daylight Time?
–  Whatever.
–  It matters.  We're not on Central Standard Time right now.  We're on Central Daylight Time.
–  Central Standard Daylight Time, then.
–  There's no such thing as that.
–  OK, fine, I'll Google it.  *types* {What time is it in Central Standard Time right now?}
–  Yeah, OK...
–  There!  See!  It says it's 2:15 PM, and that's what time it is!
–  But look:  Google is displaying the current time in Central Daylight Time.  It says so right there.
–  So they're the same thing, then.
–  No, Google just assumed it knew what you meant and gave you answer to that instead.
–  All I know is I asked it what time it is in Central Standard Time, and it gave me the current time.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: frankenroad on May 14, 2021, 03:34:48 PM
Quote from: doorknob60 on May 14, 2021, 02:56:05 PM

I'm glad I'm not the only one. It seems like literally 80-90% of people get this wrong. They'll say "Eastern Standard Time", without stopping to think for a second what standard means. If you don't want to think about it, just say ET, PT, etc.

This drives me nuts as well.   It was really bad about 15 years ago when I worked for a company with major offices in both Cincinnati and Indianapolis (which are only about 100 miles apart).   In the winter, we were all on EST, but in the summer, Cincinnati was on EDT, while Indianapolis remained on EST.  More people missed meetings because they did not understand the difference between EST and EDT.   In recent years, Indiana began observing DST, so I assume this problem has been reduced.

Which is why it's better just to say 10am, or 10am local time.

texaskdog

Anyone over the age of 10 who says "veggies"

CNGL-Leudimin

People that insist on keeping Taiwan apart from China :banghead:. Taiwan is part of China, just not of the PRC. It's like calling one of the Koreas simply "Korea" and the other something else.

That is the norm here in Europe :sombrero: (however the S stands for Summer). Standard time is denoted by simply xT.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

kphoger

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on May 14, 2021, 05:03:03 PM
People that insist on keeping Taiwan apart from China :banghead:. Taiwan is part of China, just not of the PRC. It's like calling one of the Koreas simply "Korea" and the other something else.

Ireland says hi.   :wave:
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

TheHighwayMan3561

People that insist on keeping Taiwan apart from China :banghead:. Taiwan is part of China, just not of the PRC

Functionally as of this time. they are two different countries. They have different governments, different entry requirements for visitors, different economies, different sports leagues, different many things. Yes, China views it as a part of them and sends cease and desists to anyone who suggests otherwise. Germany once viewed Austria as part of them because they didn't think two German-speaking nations should be separated.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Roadgeekteen

That is the norm here in Europe :sombrero: (however the S stands for Summer). Standard time is denoted by simply xT.
Many Taiwanese people don't consider themselves Chinese anymore.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

SSOWorld

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 14, 2021, 05:52:45 PM

There can only be one (China)
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

SSOWorld

Thanks to the fear of death in this country, I won't have to die.

I'll pass away

Or I'll expire like a magazine subscription

</George Carlin>
Scott O.

Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
Raise your what?

kevinb1994

Quote from: SSOWorld on May 14, 2021, 07:10:55 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 14, 2021, 05:52:45 PM
People that insist on keeping Taiwan apart from China :banghead: . Taiwan is part of China, just not of the PRC. It's like calling one of the Koreas simply "Korea" and the other something else.

There can only be one (China)
I'm in disagreement over the whole One China thing...my mother's family is from Taiwan (though my last name definitely isn't-it's Scottish). While not all of my extended family may agree, I do think that communism isn't 100% a good thing. Just my thoughts.

GenExpwy

Quote from: kphoger on May 14, 2021, 01:40:08 PM
1.  When the trimmer runs out of string partway through doing the lawn.

2.  Re-stringing the trimmer.

Better yet: A few weeks ago I started my trimmer for the first time this year. It had been sitting in the garage all winter, so I pulled and pulled, oh how I pulled, 25 or 30 times. When it finally started, it instantly shed the last foot-and-a-half of line from the spool.

J N Winkler

Just now, I finally found the control in Acrobat Reader that allows me to force PDFs to open by default with view set to single page and fit page.  Now I can stop growling about PDFs opening with view set to continuous page and fit width, which is the out-of-the-box setting.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

SSOWorld

Quote from: J N Winkler on May 16, 2021, 12:26:37 PM
Just now, I finally found the control in Acrobat Reader that allows me to force PDFs to open by default with view set to single page and fit page.  Now I can stop growling about PDFs opening with view set to continuous page and fit width, which is the out-of-the-box setting.
Yes but did you find the control that stops that right pane from popping in advertising Adobe's services?
Scott O.

Raise your what?

J N Winkler

Quote from: SSOWorld on May 16, 2021, 01:20:30 PMYes but did you find the control that stops that right pane from popping in advertising Adobe's services?

I did--there actually is one.  There is a checkbox somewhere in Preferences to remember tool (or task) pane setting.  If it is checked and the pane is closed all the way (one click to open completely, two clicks to close completely), then it is invisible and stays that way.

There doesn't seem to be a control to prevent third-party review sites from lying about what can be done with Reader for free, however.  I installed it partly because one such site assured me that it allows the user to extract pages for free.  In fact, it takes a subscription (I think about $14/month) to unlock that capability.  I'm just glad that the version 9.54 (current) Windows port of Ghostscript can handle PDFs that caused 9.14 to choke when attempting to remove a master password (there's apparently something called "Level 6" that 9.14 couldn't handle), perform a PDF version downgrade (1.4 tends to be safest for the types of PDF files I work with), or extract individual pages.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Scott5114

This borders on "major things that bother you", but when things that don't belong to me end up in my yard. I live on a minor collector, so this usually happens from stuff falling off of a truck or something and landing in the street. Then someone "helpfully" drags it out of the street into my yard. And then it sits there because I don't have a truck or any way of dealing with it other than leaving it by the curb on trash day and hoping the city is willing to take it.

This has happened with a mattress, and recently one of those warning poles for an AT&T underground cable. What the heck do I do with this thing? Throwing it away sounds like a bad idea, but going to the dentist is usually more enjoyable than dealing with anyone in customer service at AT&T. Maybe I can talk my wife into dealing with them for me; her name's on our account with them.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Scott5114

Quote from: J N Winkler on May 16, 2021, 02:35:42 PM
Quote from: SSOWorld on May 16, 2021, 01:20:30 PMYes but did you find the control that stops that right pane from popping in advertising Adobe's services?

I did--there actually is one.  There is a checkbox somewhere in Preferences to remember tool (or task) pane setting.  If it is checked and the pane is closed all the way (one click to open completely, two clicks to close completely), then it is invisible and stays that way.

There doesn't seem to be a control to prevent third-party review sites from lying about what can be done with Reader for free, however.  I installed it partly because one such site assured me that it allows the user to extract pages for free.  In fact, it takes a subscription (I think about $14/month) to unlock that capability.  I'm just glad that the version 9.54 (current) Windows port of Ghostscript can handle PDFs that caused 9.14 to choke when attempting to remove a master password (there's apparently something called "Level 6" that 9.14 couldn't handle), perform a PDF version downgrade (1.4 tends to be safest for the types of PDF files I work with), or extract individual pages.

I use Okular (which comes with the KDE software collection on Linux, but is available for Windows) for my PDF-viewing needs. Having used both it and name-brand Acrobat Reader on Windows, I find I prefer the less noxious interface in Okular. I rarely do much with PDFs other than view, fill out forms, and copy from them for pasting elsewhere, so I am not sure if it would be useful for what you do with it.

kphoger

My new-ish neighbors have unlicensed dogs that like to jump the fence and crap in everyone else's yards.

One of them is a youngster and, even though he's apparently able to jump out over the fence, doesn't seem to know how to jump back in again.  Even if I charge the dog and shout, cornering him by the fence, he still can't figure out what to do.
Male pronouns, please.

webny99

Scott5114

Dogs that jump the fence would be pretty hard to deal with. I don't know how one would train a dog not to do that. Fortunately, both dogs that I've owned in the city have had no interest in doing so (one was a border collie who was smart enough to realize running away from the people that kept him fed didn't make a whole lot of sense, and our current dog spent time as a stray and has such little interest in returning to that lifestyle that she won't even go through an open door to anywhere but the backyard unless she is specifically called to go through it).

I'm not quite sure what the purpose of pet licensing is supposed to be. We keep our dog licensed–or at least attempt to, I can't remember if I renewed the license this year or not now that I think about it; it's always kind of a pain in the butt since I have to pester my wife for a copy of the vaccination certificate and she tends to drag her feet on giving me things like that–and always fully vaccinated. But we haven't told the city about our two (strictly indoor) cats. I guess the license helps animal welfare return lost dogs to their owners, but so does a tag engraved with the pet's name and address. (This was how I got to know the names of the dogs and who owned them in the rural neighborhood I grew up in, although sometimes I mixed up which name belonged to the dog and which to the owner.)

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

1995hoo

I was not happy when this fellow showed up on our deck at 7:30 last night. We had the window open and I assume he smelled the bag of dry cat food we have inside just below the window to feed the feral cat who's been coming for seven years now–he came right up and stood up to look in the window, though he ran for the railing pretty quickly when I got up to take his picture and then he jumped into the tree and disappeared. Bunch of neighbors saw him out there too. I suppose the one benefit of the weather getting hotter is that he won't smell the cat food through the window because the window will be closed.

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

roadman65

When you drive behind a slowpoke you can't pass, and feel relief up the road as you will be turning off the road so you don't have to deal with it anymore.  However, the SOB decides to turn at that cut off as well, so you still with the idiot again.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

kphoger

Quote from: kphoger on May 18, 2021, 04:01:37 PM
My new-ish neighbors have unlicensed dogs that like to jump the fence and crap in everyone else's yards.

One of them is a youngster and, even though he's apparently able to jump out over the fence, doesn't seem to know how to jump back in again.  Even if I charge the dog and shout, cornering him by the fence, he still can't figure out what to do.

Update:  Another of my neighbors has an air gun she's started shooting, in an attempt to scare the dog out of her yard.   :)
Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.