News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Cities that have the most route numbers that end without a junction

Started by roadman65, July 12, 2018, 01:57:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

Lakeland, FL since the decommissioning of both US 92 and US 98 Business Routes has had FL 37 end at the former US Business routes without another route.  Also FL 548 ends without another junctioning route.  FL 563 now ends abruptly south of FL 570 at an intersection.

What other cities have multiple route numbers that end at unnumbered streets?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

odditude

i would expect it's fairly common in coastal cities. Atlantic City, NJ has US 30 and US 40/322 (and maybe others?) end at unnumbered city streets.

pianocello

Downtown Detroit: US 12 ends at Cass Ave (not a signed highway), M-1 ends at Adams Ave (northern edge of Grand Circus Park; also not a state highway). Elsewhere in the city, M-8 ends at the end of the Davison Freeway at another city street.

I also thought M-10 (Lodge Fwy) and M-3 (Gratiot Ave) had "stub" ends as well, but it turns out they end at each other at the corner of Randolph and Jefferson.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

roadman65

Quote from: odditude on July 12, 2018, 02:31:09 PM
i would expect it's fairly common in coastal cities. Atlantic City, NJ has US 30 and US 40/322 (and maybe others?) end at unnumbered city streets.
Yeah it would.  However AC is a good catch as many other large coastal cities have most that end at some numbered route.  Jacksonville has A1A to end US 90, FL 10, and FL 212.  Charleston though does have US 52 and US 78 (only 2) but those two even more of confusion doing to the lack of signs where they really end.  US 17 since it was made expressway has no connection and left those ending in the middle of the city.

Ocean City and VA Beach have one US route each but not multiple ones and to be technical US 50 ends at MD 528 so really it does not even dangle! 

The West Coast since CA decommissioned many US routes I do not think you have many in one place anymore.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

wanderer2575

Quote from: pianocello on July 12, 2018, 06:51:16 PM
Downtown Detroit: US 12 ends at Cass Ave (not a signed highway), M-1 ends at Adams Ave (northern edge of Grand Circus Park; also not a state highway). Elsewhere in the city, M-8 ends at the end of the Davison Freeway at another city street.

M-5 (Grand River Avenue) ends at Cass Avenue, and M-85 (Fort Street) ends at Griswold Street.  That makes four dangling ends in downtown Detroit.

QuoteI also thought M-10 (Lodge Fwy) and M-3 (Gratiot Ave) had "stub" ends as well, but it turns out they end at each other at the corner of Randolph and Jefferson.

Unsigned BS I-375 also ends at that intersection.

webny99

Rochester, NY, has:
-NY 390, NY 259, NY 260, NY 261, and NY 19 all ending at the Lake Ontario State Parkway
-NY 590 ending at Titus Ave
-NY 250 ending at Lake Ave

That's a fair few, provided the first five count for the thread. Seems fairly evident that being near a coast helps.

TheStranger

Quote from: roadman65 on July 12, 2018, 07:31:51 PM

The West Coast since CA decommissioned many US routes I do not think you have many in one place anymore.

What also makes it hard to find non-junction endings on the West coast is the presence of two long coastside roads (Route 1 in California, US 101 between Leggett, CA and the north end of Washington state) for other roads to end at.

San Diego might still have the most of this in California though:
I-5, Route 905, and soon Route 11 all end at the border
Route 209 once ended at Point Loma Lighthouse
Route 15 ends at I-5 officially but the true south end of the main carriageways is 32nd Street
I-8 ends near San Diego's Ocean Beach
Until the mid-1980s, Route 94 and Route 163 ended at the former US 80/395 south terminus of Harbor Drive (former US 101)

(Not in San Diego itself, but Route 282 ends at North Island NAS in Coronado)
Chris Sampang

fillup420

Wilmington, NC has four. US 74 and 76 end at dead ends on the north and south points of Wrightsville, respectively. US 421 ends at a parking lot south of Fort Fisher. US 117 ends at the state port.

bassoon1986

Louisiana tends to have many state routes that do not end at another numbered route, and not just because it has a lot of coastline.

I'd guess New Orleans and Baton Rouge probably have 10 or more routes that just end at city streets/blocked off railroad crossings, or at bodies of water.

iPhone

Roadsguy

Harrisburg I think has the most in Pennsylvania, though none are actually in the city limits. PA 39 and 443 both end at unnumbered Front Street (former US 22/322) and PA 441 ends at Paxton Street (former US 322). Not many compared to other cities mentioned.

EDIT: Also PA 283 actually ends at Eisenhower Blvd, though that's even farther from the city proper.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

DandyDan

If interstates count, Waterloo, Iowa has 2, I-380 and IA 281.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

dgolub

Well, it's not a city, but Long Island has a batch of these.  There's I-495, NY 101, NY 106, NY 107, NY 108, NY 110, NY 112, NY 135, and NY 878.  Some of these ending are at county routes, which others are at local streets.  There's also NY 25 that ends at the ferry and NY 27 that ends at a loop by the Montauk Point Lighthouse.

RobbieL2415

Let's see.  Hartford's got a couple:

CT 2
CT 189
CT 159 (fmr. US 5A)
CT 99 (fmr. CT 9 though it used to continue north)

New Haven:
US 5
CT 63/CT 10 (end at intersection with Whalley Ave.)
CT 17/CT 80

Flint1979

There are probably some that take you to a destination rather than a junction with another highway. M-247 north of Bay City serves the state park and just ends there. Around me most highways end at another highway, there are some in Detroit that end at a city street that isn't a state highway, US highway or Interstate highway US-12, M-8, M-85, M-1 all end at a non highway city street. M-143 in East Lansing runs from M-43 to the East Lansing/Lansing city limits. The only reason M-143 even exists is because it use to be part of M-43 and when they created the Capital Loop in Lansing they transferred control of the highway in the city of Lansing back to local control except for where the Capital Loop runs.

CapeCodder

Saint Louis comes to mind. I think MO 180 and 340 are hanging ends. MO 100 I think* is a hanging end. Even 366 might also be hanging on its eastern end. I don't think it touches I-55. I could be wrong on all of these, however.

Kulerage

mrcmc888

On the southeastern tip of New Jersey, Wildwood and Cape May have NJ-47, 109, 147, and 162.

bzakharin

Quote from: mrcmc888 on August 29, 2018, 08:52:43 PM
On the southeastern tip of New Jersey, Wildwood and Cape May have NJ-47, 109, 147, and 162.
To be fair, all of these but NJ 47 terminate at or concurrent with county routes. 162 is not even signed and there are multiple bridges that have unsigned NJ route numbers.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.