News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

RIRO Intersections

Started by someone17, October 18, 2020, 06:56:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

someone17

Ah, yes. RIROs, one of the most common intersections on limited access highways. Are there any other great examples other than King's Highway 11 in Ontario?

Thanks, y'all!

jeffandnicole

Quote from: someone17 on October 18, 2020, 06:56:02 PM
Ah, yes. RIROs, one of the most common intersections on limited access highways. Are there any other great examples other than King's Highway 11 in Ontario?

Thanks, y'all!

Thousands.  Use the search feature to locate other existing threads about RIROs.

Ned Weasel

I-25 in Colorado has a pair of true RIRO intersections: https://goo.gl/maps/NcVotQKgRaEP9eDP9 .  Plenty of other Interstates have exit and entrance ramps so tight, they're almost T-shaped RIRO intersections.
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

STLmapboy

Some of the intersections on CA-71 in Pomona became RIROs when lights were removed. The Arroyo Seco Parkway also famously has some tight RIROs.

Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

webny99

Just name dropping NY 17 (future I-86). Here is one of several examples between Binghamton and I-87.

MCRoads

Quote from: stridentweasel on October 18, 2020, 08:30:01 PM
I-25 in Colorado has a pair of true RIRO intersections: https://goo.gl/maps/NcVotQKgRaEP9eDP9 .  Plenty of other Interstates have exit and entrance ramps so tight, they're almost T-shaped RIRO intersections.
Wow, driven past that, and thought it was just a rural pull off, but no, it's an actual exit!
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

thefraze_1020

Washington State has one on I-5 at the Toutle River (exit 59) https://www.google.com/maps/@46.4183335,-122.8907187,3a,75y,243.73h,82.16t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sPuG2ahvVaqSR-tw48-gNgw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

They have decent room for deceleration and acceleration, but these are very tight for Washington standards.

I recall that I-90 in Wyoming has a bunch between Buffalo and Sundance.
Alright, this is how it's gonna be!

TheHighwayMan3561

Two I can think of in the MSP area:

US 169 northbound at 16th St in Hopkins. The corresponding southbound RIRO was removed a couple years ago.

US 10 at Prior Ave in Shoreview, which was part of a project to remove as many at-grade turns as possible off the stretch between 35W and 694.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

danzarblx

Does exit 339 on I-75 in Michigan count? I believe that's one, It's right before the Mackinac Bridge.
"Studying New Jersey's roads, one click at a time."

I-55

US-24 at Bruick Rd in Allen County, IN.
Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

GenExpwy

Quote from: webny99 on October 19, 2020, 08:47:42 AM
Just name dropping NY 17 (future I-86). Here is one of several examples between Binghamton and I-87.

Interesting that there is just a string of closely-spaced delineators – not guardrail – in the median, where the gravel suggests that a lot of people have cut across

roadman65

A few that are part of an interchange lie in NJ.

US 22 at Bloy Street in Hillside are two RIRO making the exchange to be an actual intersection rather than interchange. The Jersey barrier median is the control to make it the RIRO on Route 22.

Many others in the Garden State as well. One on I-80 at Hainesville Road too.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

webny99

Quote from: GenExpwy on October 20, 2020, 02:38:26 AM
Quote from: webny99 on October 19, 2020, 08:47:42 AM
Interesting that there is just a string of closely-spaced delineators – not guardrail – in the median, where the gravel suggests that a lot of people have cut across

Indeed. I would guess that was a legal maneuver at one point in time.

US 89

Quote from: MCRoads on October 19, 2020, 10:36:42 AM
Quote from: stridentweasel on October 18, 2020, 08:30:01 PM
Wow, driven past that, and thought it was just a rural pull off, but no, it's an actual exit!

Surprisingly close to Pueblo for something like that, too. I know of multiple very tight exits on I-80 in Wyoming, but nothing comes close to that Colorado "exit".

KCRoadFan

In Massachusetts, I believe Route 9 through Shrewsbury east of Worcester - and again through Framingham and Natick - has long stretches of RIRO driveways and side roads, meaning that you have to drive a long way out of your way to reach a property on the opposite side of the road. (Anyone in MA who can attest to this?)

I-55

Here you can see a RIRO under construction in Ohio on US-35 in Jackson.
Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

cpzilliacus

U.S. 50 E/U.S.301 N approaching Sandy Point, Maryland and the WPL (Chesapeake Bay) bridge - RIRO on the cheap.

U.S. 50 and U.S. 301 at Chester, Maryland, on Kent Island east of the WPL Bridge - both sides of the road.

Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

sparker

Quote from: STLmapboy on October 20, 2020, 10:12:09 AM
Quote from: KEK Inc. on October 20, 2020, 03:20:57 AM
There's a few in San Mateo on US-101

In Vancouver, WA-500 has had all of its signals removed between I-5 and I-205.  Many of the intersections are just RIRO.

Here's one in Commerce, CA on I-5.
Fixed the links for you.

I wouldn't describe the two CA instances as true RIRO's; they're more "folded diamonds", although the I-5 example is pretty "scrunched up" between the NB carriageway and Telegraph Road (I've used the offramp several times, it's a real PITA!).  There are some remaining RIRO's on CA 99, notably north of Delano and in Chowchilla. 

Evan_Th

Quote from: sparker on October 22, 2020, 05:03:44 PM
I wouldn't describe the two CA instances as true RIRO's; they're more "folded diamonds", although the I-5 example is pretty "scrunched up" between the NB carriageway and Telegraph Road (I've used the offramp several times, it's a real PITA!).  There are some remaining RIRO's on CA 99, notably north of Delano and in Chowchilla.
I'd say the same about the Toutle River, WA example upthread.

kphoger

Quote from: STLmapboy on October 20, 2020, 10:12:09 AM

Quote from: KEK Inc. on October 20, 2020, 03:20:57 AM
There's a few in San Mateo on US-101

In Vancouver, WA-500 has had all of its signals removed between I-5 and I-205.  Many of the intersections are just RIRO.

Here's one in Commerce, CA on I-5.

Fixed the links for you.

Disagree.  They look like RIROs to me.  The one on US-101 doesn't even have a corresponding exit on the other side of the highway.  Hardly a diamond at all, folded or not.  For the one on I-5, the two sides of the highway don't even connect to the same road;  but it's an edge case, because they look a lot like Oklahoma City's exits to frontage roads on I-35.

A folded diamond interchange has loop ramps.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Ned Weasel

Quote from: kphoger on October 22, 2020, 07:28:05 PM

Disagree.  They look like RIROs to me.  The one on US-101 doesn't even have a corresponding exit on the other side of the highway.  Hardly a diamond at all, folded or not.  For the one on I-5, the two sides of the highway don't even connect to the same road;  but it's an edge case, because they look a lot like Oklahoma City's exits to frontage roads on I-35.

A folded diamond interchange has loop ramps.

If these count as RIROs, let's not forget I-68 in Cumberland, Maryland:

https://goo.gl/maps/VeR9isYUe83Ucftn8
https://goo.gl/maps/fYcreR4tzwckr243A
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

vdeane

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

ErmineNotyours

My favorite: US 12, Walla Walla, built at the place where the elevated freeway went down to ground level for a railroad crossing that has since been removed.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.