News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

US routes that are signed perpendicular to the direction implied by their number

Started by usends, December 08, 2019, 06:04:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

usends

Inspired by this thread, I'd like to come up with a list of all US routes that are signposted with directions that do not match the direction implied by their numbers.  A well-known example is US 24: an even-numbered US route implies an east-west bearing, and US 24 is mostly signed east-west, but in Michigan it is signed north-south.

Isolated sign goofs don't apply here.  We're looking for routes (or route segments) that the DOT (or local signing authority) intentionally signs with directionals that don't match the direction implied by the route number. 

If you want to discuss interstates or state routes that fit the criteria, please start a different thread.

Here's what I've got so far, and I'll update this list with any other examples that you contribute.

Odd-numbered US routes that are signed east-west:
* US 33 in Ohio, West Virginia, and Virginia.
* US 35 in Ohio.
* US 41 in Miami-Dade County (FL).
* US 83 between Harlingen and the Starr/Hidalgo county line (TX).
* US 91 at its "south" terminus in Brigham City UT.
* US 101 between Sappho and Discovery Bay (WA).
* US 211 in its entirety (VA).
* US 275 in Nebraska.

(Even though three-digit US routes are technically not bound by number-direction parity, I'm including them because there are so few that violate the guideline.)

Even-numbered US routes that are signed north-south:
* US 4 in New York.
* US 6 in California.
* US 24 in Michigan.
* US 42 in Ohio.
* US 52 in Minnesota and Iowa.
* US 52 in North Carolina, Virginia, and West Virginia.
* US 54 in most of New Mexico (from Santa Rosa south to the Texas line).
* US 62 in some of New Mexico (from Carlsbad south to the Texas line).
* US 62 in New York and Pennsylvania.
* US 68 in Ohio.
* US 84 in most of New Mexico (north of Ft. Sumner) and in Colorado.
* US 96 in its entirety (Texas).
* US 98 between Perry and Lake Okeechobee (FL).
* US 130 in its entirety (NJ).
* US 202 in Massachusetts and northern Connecticut.
* US 202 in Delaware and New Jersey.
* US 206 in its entirety (NJ and PA).
* US 218 in its entirety (MN and IA).
* US 220 in its entirety (PA, MD, WV, VA, NC).
* US 222 in its entirety (PA and MD).
* US 250 in West Virginia.
* US 258 in its entirety (VA and NC).
* US 310 in Montana.
* US 340 in West Virginia and Virginia.
* US 522 in its entirety (PA, MD, WV, VA).
* US 550 in its entirety (CO, NM).

Historic US routes:
* US 666 was signed N-S (UT, CO, NM, AZ)
usends.com - US highway endpoints, photos, maps, and history

TheStranger

There are some ramp signs within San Fernando Valley along the Ventura Freeway for US 101 East/West, even though the overall route signage is still north-south (and the actual signage along the freeway remains north-south as well).

IIRC, wasn't US 1 in Connecticut signed at times as east-west?  I've seen that before mentioned here and on MTR but I might be misremembering.

The former US 666 was an entire north-south route.

Chris Sampang

US 89

It may not be long enough to matter, but the southernmost 2 miles of US 91 (between US 89 and I-15) are signed east-west:

corresponding EAST 91 reassurance marker

jp the roadgeek

Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

usends

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on December 08, 2019, 06:51:29 PM
Still a few of these left over in CT
https://goo.gl/maps/HtxCUsSCEPHLxeAk7
Was there a time when all of US 1 in CT was uniformly signed E-W?  And today is it just isolated leftover signs?

cl94

3-digit US routes do not need to follow the even/odd convention. They just often do because they tend to be parallel to their parent.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

usends

Quote from: cl94 on December 08, 2019, 08:11:52 PM
3-digit US routes do not need to follow the even/odd convention.
True, but...

Quote from: cl94 on December 08, 2019, 08:11:52 PM
They just often do because they tend to be parallel to their parent.
...this seems to imply the numbers were chosen first and then the highways were built.  Of course what actually happened (in most cases) is that the roads had already been built, and later they were given US route designations.  With few exceptions, the numbers that were assigned did follow the even-odd convention (including 3dUS routes).

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: usends on December 08, 2019, 07:18:14 PM
Quote from: jp the roadgeek on December 08, 2019, 06:51:29 PM
Still a few of these left over in CT
https://goo.gl/maps/HtxCUsSCEPHLxeAk7
Was there a time when all of US 1 in CT was uniformly signed E-W?  And today is it just isolated leftover signs?

The only part that I remember seeing significant East-West signage on US 1 was East of New Haven; mostly between there and Old Saybrook.  I specifically remember it on the Hammonasset Connector.   99% of the signage now has been corrected to the conventional north-south
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

CNGL-Leudimin

Quote from: usends on December 08, 2019, 06:04:27 PM
* US 33 in Ohio.
* US 35 in its entirety (OH, WV, VA).

I think these two are switched. And even in that case, US 33 enters Indiana, where it is signed "correctly" (i.e. North-South).
* US 54 in most of New Mexico (between Santa Rosa and the Texas line). [Disambiguation needed]
* US 62 in some of New Mexico (between Carlsbad and the Texas line). [Disambiguation needed]

Both US 54 and US 62 cross the TX/NM border twice.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

usends

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on December 09, 2019, 10:49:59 AM
* US 33 in Ohio.
* US 35 in its entirety (OH, WV, VA).
I think these two are switched. And even in that case, US 33 enters Indiana, where it is signed "correctly" (i.e. North-South).

* US 54 in most of New Mexico (between Santa Rosa and the Texas line). [Disambiguation needed]
* US 62 in some of New Mexico (between Carlsbad and the Texas line). [Disambiguation needed]
Both US 54 and US 62 cross the TX/NM border twice.

All valid points, fixed, thank you.

Kacie Jane

Quote from: paulthemapguy on December 09, 2019, 11:08:11 AM
US199 kind of runs east-west, but it's signed north-south.  I used it to get from the Pacific Coast to I-5 and vice versa.  Here are some pictures to make things interesting.  These reassurance markers say "north" but they made more sense as "east" in my brain as I was driving.

That's the opposite of what the thread is about though. 199 is an odd number, so N/S is correct.

In fact, that may be why the chose to sign it N/S instead of E/W when either would have worked. It had to be an odd number since it only intersected 99 and 101, so they figured they might as well sign it the "odd" direction.

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

sparker

Prior to the '64 renumbering, CA featured multiple examples of this phenomenon:
     (1)  US 50, signed E-W on its multiplex with US 99 between Stockton & Sacramento.
     (2)  US 99, signed N-S on its multiplex with US 60 and/or 70 and later I-10.
     (3)  US 6, signed E-W just about everywhere the DOH districts didn't avoid bannering.
     (4)  US 91 west of Riverside.

Obviously it didn't much matter with the state's 3dus routes, particularly the decidedly E-W US 299 and the L-shaped US 399.  Hard to believe it's been 55+ years since the renumbering!

cwf1701

Henry

US 83 in TX is signed east-west where it runs along the Mexican border.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

sturmde

US 1A (the original US 1 pre-Waldo-Hancock Bridge) through Bangor, Maine is generally signed EAST/WEST (when signed) from the south of Bangor to its terminus in Ellsworth.
Of course it was also part of the pre-1926 New England Interstate NEI-1 which of course being odd-numbered was an EAST/WEST highway.  That also accounts for some of the older signage of US 1 in Connecticut....
An ASIDE:  Did any state other than Ohio once use midcardinal points?  N-EAST/S-WEST 22, 42, and 62 and N-WEST/S-EAST 33 and 35... leap to mind.  (And you already have US 68 [former US 125] which is NORTH/SOUTH.)

hotdogPi

Do you have any more information about US 125? This forum knows nothing about it.
Clinched, plus NH 38, MA 286, and MA 193

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
Many state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25

New: MA 193 clinched and a tiny bit of CT 193 traveled

My computer is currently under repair. This means I can't update Travel Mapping and have limited ability for the image threads.

sturmde

Quote from: 1 on December 10, 2019, 10:46:28 AM
Do you have any more information about US 125? This forum knows nothing about it.

Somewhere about 1932, thought an original proposal was to turn OH SR 10 into a US 125, but it became a northern extension of US 68 instead.  US 68 first shows up on the Ohio DoH 1933 map.  It wasn't there in 1932.
http://www.dot.state.oh.us/Divisions/Planning/TechServ/TIM/Official_Transportation_Maps/1932.pdf

bing101

Inspired by this thread, I'd like to come up with a list of all US routes that are signposted with directions that do not match the direction implied by their numbers.  A well-known example is US 24: an even-numbered US route implies an east-west bearing, and US 24 is mostly signed east-west, but in Michigan it is signed north-south.

Isolated sign goofs don't apply here.  We're looking for routes (or route segments) that the DOT (or local signing authority) intentionally signs with directionals that don't match the direction implied by the route number. 

If you want to discuss interstates or state routes that fit the criteria, please start a different thread.

Here's what I've got so far, and I'll update this list with any other examples that you contribute.

* US 33 in Ohio, West Virginia, and Virginia.
* US 35 in Ohio.
* US 41 in Miami-Dade County (FL).
* US 83 between Harlingen and the Starr/Hidalgo county line (TX).
* US 91 at its "south" terminus in Brigham City UT.
* US 101 between Sappho and Discovery Bay (WA).
* US 211 in its entirety (VA).
* US 275 in Nebraska.

* US-101 from the San Fernando Valley to Santa Barbara County is East/West even though its officially North/South route.

usends

Quote from: bing101 on December 10, 2019, 10:38:26 PM
* US-101 from the San Fernando Valley to Santa Barbara County is East/West even though its officially North/South route.

If it's signed north-south (and it looks like it is, according to GSV), then it doesn't qualify.

usends

Quote from: cwf1701 on December 09, 2019, 11:53:02 PM
US-10 Between Detroit and Bay City was signed North-South
I don't think US 10 ever went to Bay City until it was truncated out of Detroit.  Do you mean between Detroit and Saginaw?

pianocello

I feel like US 66 in Illinois could have been signed N-S, but I can't seem to find anything confirming or disproving that. Maybe someone here would know?
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

Flint1979

Quote from: Kacie Jane on December 09, 2019, 11:39:33 AM
Quote from: paulthemapguy on December 09, 2019, 11:08:11 AM
US199 kind of runs east-west, but it's signed north-south.  I used it to get from the Pacific Coast to I-5 and vice versa.  Here are some pictures to make things interesting.  These reassurance markers say "north" but they made more sense as "east" in my brain as I was driving.

That's the opposite of what the thread is about though. 199 is an odd number, so N/S is correct.

In fact, that may be why the chose to sign it N/S instead of E/W when either would have worked. It had to be an odd number since it only intersected 99 and 101, so they figured they might as well sign it the "odd" direction.
That's not how the 3-di on the US system works. The odd and even thing doesn't apply the same way as the interstate system. The 3-di US highways go in numerical order along the parent highways route. So the first spur gets 1xx, then 2xx and so on.

Flint1979

Quote from: usends on December 11, 2019, 12:47:39 PM
Quote from: cwf1701 on December 09, 2019, 11:53:02 PM
US-10 Between Detroit and Bay City was signed North-South
I don't think US 10 ever went to Bay City until it was truncated out of Detroit.  Do you mean between Detroit and Saginaw?

It followed I-75 and US-23, then just I-75 into the 1980's between exits 162 and 93.

US-10 was switched from the route into Saginaw (present day M-47 and M-58) to the freeway in the early 60's.

kphoger

Quote from: Flint1979 on December 11, 2019, 07:02:08 PM
That's not how the 3-di on the US system works. The odd and even thing doesn't apply the same way as the interstate system. The 3-di US highways go in numerical order along the parent highways route. So the first spur gets 1xx, then 2xx and so on.

pssssst  ...  the i in 3di stands for interstate.

Roadgeek Acronyms
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.