AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
 on: Today at 01:11:42 PM 
Started by Max Rockatansky - Last post by 1
Your problem isn't using it. Your problem is treating it like religious people treat the Bible.

on: Today at 01:11:36 PM 
Started by Revive 755 - Last post by Plutonic Panda
^^^^ ď $140 million to modify interchange at the U.S. 63 Connector and Interstate 70 in Columbia.Ē

Thatís a pretty big investment will they be adding flyovers?

on: Today at 01:08:46 PM 
Started by Max Rockatansky - Last post by Crash_It
Even other travel blogs use it as a source. Like this one for example

https://lm.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Ffal.cn%2F3oYK2&h=AT1L58yypN_1mlG3Ahd2SsdOy_P4ldD_0HqkpYwFiOLc8C4J3qW1YxeQA9RycbjGY6VGfxVEQmZxFssdHwX-zH4Skduwp8eqZ_FwJgdA5EafSXbZ4AWULpPXcF0KyUauTkostEtecbLngp2WpA

on: Today at 01:05:57 PM 
Started by Mdcastle - Last post by TheHighwayMan394
Huh.  Always just heard it as "Mille Lacs" (Mill Lacks) rather than "Lake Mille Lacs".

I hear/see both. The real shibboleth is if someone calls it by its official name of "Mille Lacs Lake", which THAT term is never used here outside of official DNR contexts.

on: Today at 01:00:42 PM 
Started by Terry Shea - Last post by sprjus4
That obviously was the gap being that it went from freeway to surface street back to freeway. But it's a US highway not an Interstate so it isn't required to be a freeway that is my point.
I know itís not required to be freeway, Iím just saying it fills a gap on what would otherwise be an all freeway routing. Designation aside.

on: Today at 12:47:59 PM 
Started by Terry Shea - Last post by GaryV
Then why say a short "gap" is being filled, when there are far longer gaps farther south to get to Kentucky (whichever city was meant). And why say it comes from Mackinaw (close) when there is a long non-freeway section from there to Ludington?

And if you're trying to emphasize the long distance-ness, why stop in Kentucky? Why not mention Mobile, AL?

Interesting: if you type US 31 into Google, a map shows up that ends in the Louisville area. Huh.

on: Today at 12:45:10 PM 
Started by kernals12 - Last post by Chris
The Netherlands was one of the first countries to construct freeways in the 1930s, by World War II, the Netherlands had the largest freeway network in Europe after Germany, in fact it may have had the third-longest freeway network in the world at that time (after the U.S. & Germany).

However car ownership was still pretty low at that time. Car ownership exploded after World War II, there was a brief period of time, especially in the 1950s and early 1960s, when almost everything was still centered in the historic town and city squares, which turned into large parking lots. However later in the 1960s, new suburban neighborhoods were built and the importance of city centers declined significantly, this also gave the opportunity to shift car usage mainly to those new areas and pedestrianize old towns.

It should be noted that the Netherlands has had the largest population growth in Europe after World War II, the population grew from 9.3 million in 1945 to 15.5 million by 1995. Highway construction initially kept pace with this large population growth, but it started to lag after the 1980s. A major change occurred in the early 1990s when women entered the workforce, female labor participation changed very rapidly in only a few years. As a result, the vehicle miles traveled exploded during the 1990s. On some motorways the traffic volume doubled in less than 15 years.

It was forecasted in the early 2000s that the Dutch population growth would slow significantly. However due to mass migration, population growth continued and the projection of 17 million inhabitants was achieved in less than half the time experts thought it would. The Dutch population is still growing by a million people each decade and population projections have shifted upward to over 20 million.

This is a small country and this scale of growth has proven unsustainable in many areas: natural values, traffic congestion, public transport overcrowding, even bike lane overcrowding is a thing. There is a huge housing crisis ongoing, housing prices have essentially doubled in a decade while incomes did not, making it practically impossible for young people to get into the housing market. I know several 30-somethings that have a stable, good-paying job, but live with their parents because they cannot find a house.

on: Today at 12:39:58 PM 
Started by Max Rockatansky - Last post by GaryV
Wikipedia says it was started as a site to rate and review financial professionals. Wonder how it veered off into lifestyle/adventure ratings? (Much like threads on this site often veer into uncharted territory.)

on: Today at 12:39:14 PM 
Started by Revive 755 - Last post by mvak36
This article has all the major projects listed in the Draft STIP: https://www.columbiamissourian.com/news/state_news/major-projects-in-modots-proposed-five-year-road-and-bridge-plan/article_06af8706-dd23-11ec-8d18-df4755b2cc88.html

iPhone

on: Today at 12:38:37 PM 
Started by PickupMan - Last post by skluth
There's some really bad GIS work on the map. The freeway interchanges on the Bloomington/Normal inset are particularly bad. The two freeways at the I-55/74/Veterans Parkway interchange don't come together at a point; every GIS student knows how to snap to a point or line. I-74 doesn't meet I-55 at the other interchange point. I-39 has an interchange yet weirdly loops south of it; I know that's how the northbound I-39 ramp works but it's not standard cartographic practice. I have no idea why so many of the non-freeway divided highways look like crap; IL 110/336 north of Quincy to Monmouth looks like a bunch of little segments the cartographer was too lazy to clean up. The text for Monmouth also overprints the symbol. Text along rivers should be smoother and not follow individual line segments of a drain; check out the North Fork Vermilion River east of Pontiac for a particularly ugly example. I have no idea why some <1000 population city/village points have a white buffer around them and others don't. They should also have reduced the clutter around Chicago because the map there is essentially useless; the whole point of having an inset map of Chicago is so all that detail can be shown at a larger scale.

I could accept this workmanship if the map was a one-off product for something. But this is the official state map. It should look far more professional especially since they're just updating the map every couple years. I'm guessing very little effort is being done for the map, just change what's needed and use all the default lettering and symbology without any cleanup.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.