News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Dashcam videos

Started by 1995hoo, September 24, 2013, 05:52:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1995hoo

Quote from: Alex on March 31, 2014, 05:29:53 PM
Really enjoyed that! The wife bickering was an added bonus.  :nod:

Thanks. Note also the discussion during the second clip about the new APL signs that were then going up in Springfield.

Edited to add: BTW, if Takumi watches that, I bet he can figure out the parts in which I'm driving my wife's car instead of mine. The sound of the DOHC inline-4 as opposed to my SOHC V-6 is rather distinctive.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

1995hoo

Here is the follow-up compilation I assembled over the weekend:

BTW, at about the four-minute mark this one includes a clip of the new 11th Street Bridge in DC, including the new outbound ramp to the bridge that opened in February.

1995hoo

Compilation about one of my pet peeves–people who leave way too much space between vehicles when they stop:

Brandon

Quote from: 1995hoo on April 07, 2014, 09:46:29 PM
Compilation about one of my pet peeves–people who leave way too much space between vehicles when they stop:

My favorites are the ones who leave a full car length between them and the stop line.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

hbelkins

Quote from: Brandon on April 07, 2014, 09:56:14 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on April 07, 2014, 09:46:29 PM

My favorites are the ones who leave a full car length between them and the stop line.

And then they complain when the light doesn't change.

I haven't watched the video, but I tend to leave more space than others might prefer when I'm stopped behind someone so if I get rear-ended, I won't get knocked into the back of the vehicle in front of me. It also gives me a little room to maneuver if something happens, such as the car in front of me stalls and can't move.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

agentsteel53

Quote from: hbelkins on April 08, 2014, 06:33:05 PMI tend to leave more space than others might prefer when I'm stopped behind someone so if I get rear-ended, I won't get knocked into the back of the vehicle in front of me. It also gives me a little room to maneuver if something happens, such as the car in front of me stalls and can't move.

I generally do that as well.  if I'm on a hill, I also tend to roll back an inch or two when someone is getting behind me, just to give them a heads-up that I may roll backwards several inches because hey, stick shift on a hill.  (I only use the e-brake if it's a fairly major hill, or someone crowds me from behind and I don't have 6 or 8 inches of breathing room.)
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

1995hoo

I sometimes roll back intentionally on hills too. Scared the crap out of a student driver one time.

I know what you mean about leaving room in case you're rear-ended. But I've always tried to keep an eye out so I can move over in the lane if needed to help someone get into the turn lane or the like. People used to do that as a matter of routine. Nowadays it seems like nobody pays attention anymore.

signalman

I also tend to roll back a little bit in order to clue folks in that I need a bit of roll back room when starting on a hill.  Sadly, in my experience, it seems folks either don't know what or why I'm doing it or they just flat out don't give a shit.  As a result, I've become quite good over the years rolling back very little when starting on hills.

I just watched several of your erratic DC driver videos.  Man, some of the drivers down there are absolutely horrible.  Seems to be a lot of dickheadedness as well.  I see you love blasting the horn too.  Well done, it's a heavily used tool on my car as well.

1995hoo

Quote from: signalman on April 09, 2014, 04:04:24 PM
....  I see you love blasting the horn too.  Well done, it's a heavily used tool on my car as well.

Both of my parents grew up in Brooklyn (Mom in Bay Ridge, Dad in Flatbush), and many of their relatives either lived there for many years afterwards or still live there, so I suppose I have enough New Yorker in me to make frequent use of the horn a genetic thing.  :-D

I have to say I like having a very nice, loud horn!

signalman

Quote from: 1995hoo on April 09, 2014, 04:11:18 PM
Quote from: signalman on April 09, 2014, 04:04:24 PM
....  I see you love blasting the horn too.  Well done, it's a heavily used tool on my car as well.

Both of my parents grew up in Brooklyn (Mom in Bay Ridge, Dad in Flatbush), and many of their relatives either lived there for many years afterwards or still live there, so I suppose I have enough New Yorker in me to make frequent use of the horn a genetic thing.  :-D

I have to say I like having a very nice, loud horn!
Yeah, I'd say that you have a bit of New Yorker in your blood.  I know that you have mentioned it not only here, but in other threads as well. 

I also like your loud aggressive horn.  I wish my car had a more aggressive tone to it.  Mine is a bit weak and wimpy...like "meep, excuse me"  I want something more aggressive that conveys  "fuck you, asshole!"  Current car is a 2006 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V.  I'll be getting rid of it soon for a 2014 Honda Civic Si.  Unfortunately, the Civic's horn is also wimpy.  However, I know that can be changed.  I may just have to do that.

1995hoo

My horn is the stock horn (2004 Acura TL), but the low horn driver has failed three times over the years, which I find quite bizarre. Each time it was replaced under warranty (factory or the extended warranty), but the extended warranty expired in December so I'll have to pay myself next time or else just get aftermarket horns. It sounds rather.....effeminate, for lack of a better word, when only the high driver sounds. I've never had that happen on any other car and I have no idea why it happened even a single time, let alone three times.

Griot's Garage has audio samples online for the various horns they sell. I like that idea and I wish other merchants would do the same. The Hella Horns shown in the Griot's catalog sound rather high-pitched for my taste, though.

Regarding New Yorker, perhaps it's more a Jersey influence, if you consider the amount of Springsteen playing in the most recent videos!

signalman

Quote from: 1995hoo on April 09, 2014, 04:35:52 PM
Griot's Garage has audio samples online for the various horns they sell. I like that idea and I wish other merchants would do the same. The Hella Horns shown in the Griot's catalog sound rather high-pitched for my taste, though.

Regarding New Yorker, perhaps it's more a Jersey influence, if you consider the amount of Springsteen playing in the most recent videos!
I like the idea of having audio samples of the horns available too.  That's a great idea.

I can definitely tell that you like Bruce and you curse plenty when complaining about other driver's driving.  Sounds like Jersey influence to me.  Well done!

1995hoo

How I spent Friday afternoon:

I highly recommend this, especially if you can get a discount voucher (my wife got it for half price through Groupon or one of those similar outfits). Loads of fun.

Zeffy

Quote from: 1995hoo on May 04, 2014, 02:57:27 PM

I highly recommend this, especially if you can get a discount voucher (my wife got it for half price through Groupon or one of those similar outfits). Loads of fun.

That sounds fun as hell! Too bad I'm dirt poor and can't afford anything.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

signalman

(video link removed)

I've seen this offered at other race tracks, and I've always wanted to do it.  It looks like a lot of fun.  I know regular NASCARs don't have speedometers in them, so I'm guessing this one didn't either.  I'm curious as to how fast you got to go.  I didn't hear you shift past third gear (their rules, I'm guessing).

1995hoo

Quote from: signalman on May 05, 2014, 05:01:19 AM

(video link removed)

I've seen this offered at other race tracks, and I've always wanted to do it.  It looks like a lot of fun.  I know regular NASCARs don't have speedometers in them, so I'm guessing this one didn't either.  I'm curious as to how fast you got to go.  I didn't hear you shift past third gear (their rules, I'm guessing).

I was up to fourth gear, actually; they want you in top gear before you leave the apron as you enter the track. According to the certificate they gave me afterwards, I got to 96.76 mph. I could have gone faster had the acceleration point coming out of the corners been further back, but oh well....you know, hitting 96 mph on a straightaway that's less than half a mile long when you were required to be completely off the accelerator prior to that straightaway isn't bad. (As you say, there was no speedometer in the car. The spotter tells you to take it up to a particular RPM level.)

signalman

That's really cool. Apparently I missed the third to forth shift.  In any case, I'll have to do this one day.

Galaxy S3

KEVIN_224

They had no issue with you recording the run? WOW! Also, is there a person with you, in case you lose control of the car? (Sorry, I'm not into auto racing at all.)

1995hoo

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on May 05, 2014, 08:58:27 AM
They had no issue with you recording the run? WOW! Also, is there a person with you, in case you lose control of the car? (Sorry, I'm not into auto racing at all.)

They provide the camera (for an extra fee, of course). You're not allowed to bring your own.

No passenger.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.