Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wanderer2575

New sign on sbd I-75 in Hazel Park MI following last year's reconstruction and widening:  a LANE ENDS sign over the second right lane.  WTF?!

(The right lane is exit-only at the next interchange, but the sign for that isn't until a half-mile farther along.)

Big John

hbelkins

Quote from: Big John on May 30, 2022, 07:57:53 PM
^^ What is the reason for no dashed lines?

Encouraging people not to change lanes in the sharp curve.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

JoePCool14

Quote from: hbelkins on May 30, 2022, 08:44:11 PM

That makes the placement of the Lane Ends sign even worse. That encourages people to try and change lanes there.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

jakeroot

Quote from: JoePCool14 on May 30, 2022, 10:46:39 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on May 30, 2022, 08:44:11 PM

That makes the placement of the Lane Ends sign even worse. That encourages people to try and change lanes there.

Totally agree. That sign is placed way too early and will result in movements that would seem to be otherwise undesirable.

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

ethanhopkin14

Texas can't make a good US Highway shield anymore to save their life.  It's depressing because they used to be so good at it.

7/8

I just posted this in Road Sign UNO, but damn this sign in Saskatoon looks ugly too me (particularly the right one). The "TCH 16" shield on the right is way too small and why is "WEST" written twice on the right sign (and in two different fonts)? I also feel like the down arrows are too big, but maybe that's personal preference.

(GSV link). Photo below taken in 2016 on my cell phone (so not the best quality :colorful:):

kphoger

Quote from: 7/8 on June 02, 2022, 11:43:14 AM
why is "WEST" written twice on the right sign

Is Circle Drive even part of TCH-16?  Advance signage seems to indicate that it is, but gore signage does not.

This signage is even more confusing, in my opinion.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

ClassicHasClass

ethanhopkin14

I just posted this in Road Sign UNO, but damn this sign in Saskatoon looks ugly too me (particularly the right one). The "TCH 16" shield on the right is way too small and why is "WEST" written twice on the right sign (and in two different fonts)? I also feel like the down arrows are too big, but maybe that's personal preference.

One of those WESTs is in Clearview correct?  If so, if there was some rando button copy (maybe the arrow) on that same BGS, then we would have the road sign hat trick!!

7/8

Quote from: kphoger on June 02, 2022, 11:55:11 AM
why is "WEST" written twice on the right sign

Is Circle Drive even part of TCH-16?  Advance signage seems to indicate that it is, but gore signage does not.

This signage is even more confusing, in my opinion.

Circle Drive is a mostly-freeway ring road around Saskatoon (not sure why it's called "Drive") and TCH 16 follows the NE half of it. I'm not sure what you mean about the gore signage.

Yeah your example is really bad. It seems to suggest that SK 11 and TCH 16 go along both sides of Circle Drive.

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

LilianaUwU

I'm really stretching the definition of "sign" here, as it's a sheet of paper with regulations on it. (It says "NO PARKING EXCEPT FOR STAFF - TOWING AT YOUR OWN EXPENSE".)

NO PARKING on a sheet of paper by Liliana Vess, on Flickr
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

roadman65

Punctuation or should I say lack of, is always interesting in abbreviations.
https://goo.gl/maps/TxfBQstmGdMSTaci7

https://goo.gl/maps/MQqYS8CMNzS997EQA

I know there are some users users on here who get mad over this kind of practice 😂
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

1995hoo

I was looking at Google Street View in the vicinity of Scranton and noted this sign on southbound I-81 in advance of the Northeast Extension. "All Vehicles Welcome" is strange wording for a BGS. If it were a sign for a rest area or something similar where large trucks sometimes aren't allowed, it wouldn't be so odd, but I can't say I've seen this sort of thing elsewhere (and the last time I went through there southbound was January 2006; Street View shows there was no equivalent sign back then).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Rothman

Quote from: 1995hoo on June 06, 2022, 09:09:41 AM
I was looking at Google Street View in the vicinity of Scranton and noted this sign on southbound I-81 in advance of the Northeast Extension. "All Vehicles Welcome" is strange wording for a BGS. If it were a sign for a rest area or something similar where large trucks sometimes aren't allowed, it wouldn't be so odd, but I can't say I've seen this sort of thing elsewhere (and the last time I went through there southbound was January 2006; Street View shows there was no equivalent sign back then).

Getting people used to toll-by-plate is a PR nightmare.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

1995hoo

Quote from: Rothman on June 06, 2022, 09:10:41 AM

Yeah, I saw Stanley Roberts's reports from San Francisco on the day cash tolls ended on the Golden Gate Bridge (notice the signs saying "Do Not Stop" and the red message saying "Please Proceed"):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svzY_uJtvWQ
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

GaryA

Not making it clear whether a toll tag is required or not (and whether drivers without a tag need cash or will be billed) is something that can leave drivers uncertain and likely to avoid a highway.  I think agencies are getting better at it, but it will take time.  As toll-by-plate becomes more common, the exceptions will need to be clearly signed.

An especially confusing case can be such as some California HOT lanes, where carpools do not pay a toll, but still need a FasTrak responder (and may need one with the "number of occupants" switch).

jeffandnicole

Quote from: GaryA on June 06, 2022, 12:11:49 PM

Not making it clear whether a toll tag is required or not (and whether drivers without a tag need cash or will be billed) is something that can leave drivers uncertain and likely to avoid a highway.  I think agencies are getting better at it, but it will take time.  As toll-by-plate becomes more common, the exceptions will need to be clearly signed.

An especially confusing case can be such as some California HOT lanes, where carpools do not pay a toll, but still need a FasTrak responder (and may need one with the "number of occupants" switch).

A lot of it is motorists don't look at signs that they don't think pertain to them. Drive up to a traditional toll plaza and motorists will ask how much the toll is, even if there's been multiple signs informing them of the toll. Toll roads with tickets are even worse...most motorists unfamiliar with the ticket don't even bother reading it, and just hand it over at Exit (if they remember they even got a ticket in the first place) and have the toll taker inform them of the amount.

kphoger

Quote from: roadman65 on June 06, 2022, 08:44:17 AM
Punctuation or should I say lack of, is always interesting in abbreviations.
https://goo.gl/maps/TxfBQstmGdMSTaci7

https://goo.gl/maps/MQqYS8CMNzS997EQA

I know there are some users users on here who get mad over this kind of practice 😂

What is the current guidance in the manual regarding punctuation?
Male pronouns, please.

riiga

I'm pretty sure this "no motor vehicles" sign is neither Vienna Convention nor MUTCD compliant...

Cool color though.

thenetwork

The Pennsylvania Turnpike: If our gas prices won't bankrupt you, our tolls will ‐‐ All Vehicles Welcome!!!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.