News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

March Madness 2014

Started by US 41, March 10, 2014, 12:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US 41

It's about to begin. Who's going to win it all? This will be a better topic when the bracket comes out. For now we could talk about the conference tourneys.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

ET21

There really isn't a solid #1 team. Yes Florida is a good choice for #1, but you have so many other teams in the top 15 that could easily take the #1 spot. This will be a hellish yet fun bracket to make  :)
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Alps

I can see having 5 different winners in the 5 brackets most contests let you enter. I don't see Wichita State making it. FL and AZ are probably the two most likely. Nova, Wildcats, and thanks to their recent success, Virginia are all possibilities. Duke, Michigan, and K-State are also outside shots. I think anything below Syracuse is really stretching it, but fans are going to argue why their own teams are the best.

Go blue!

US 41

I honestly don't think Wichita State will get past the Sweet 16, if they even make it to the Sweet 16. They have struggled against some of the MVC teams and had a lot of help from the refs to stay undefeated. Dunk City won't be back as they lost to Mercer. Manhattan won the MAAC today.

I think that the NCAA should just let all of the teams in. Put the teams on a bracket by random drawing. It would only add 2-3 rounds to the tourney. The selection committee is too biased. Stephen F Austin was 27-4 last year and didn't get an at large. The Southland isn't the greatest conference, but 27-4 speaks for itself. SFA probably would've lost in the second (1st not counting the play in games) round, but they still deserved to go.

ET21

It will depend on the matchups Wichita State gets. If they can get favorable matchups, I'm taking another Final Four for them. But if they get screwed with matchups, Sweet 16 max

Clinched:

pianocello

IMO, Wichita State is going to either win the whole thing or lose to the 8 or 9 seed in their bracket.

As for the winner, I have no idea. Both Michigan and UNC look good, but anything can happen. I'm expecting to see Iowa State make it pretty far, but not enough to win it all.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

triplemultiplex

Once the teams I care about get eliminated (Wisconsin and UWM), I will be pulling for anyone that hasn't won it all in my lifetime.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

US 41

Stephen F. Austin might be a Cinderella. They're projected to be a 12 seed. The funny part is that they have a 31-2 record. It's sort of hard to believe they aren't in the top 25. SFA is the same team that didn't get an at large bid last year with a 27-4 record.

1995hoo

WAH HOO WAH! ACC Champs!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

JawnwoodS96

Virginia's recent success has me looking, but I still feel I have to go with MSU. I also have ISU winning in another bracket. Other possibilities are Kansas, Arizona, Michigan, Duke, and Florida.

I think that Wichita State will lose in the Sweet Sixteen.
Major interstates driven: i64, i264(VA), i66, i68, i70, i270(DC & OH), i71, i74, i75, i275 (Cin), i76, i376, i476, i77, i79, i279, i579, i80, i480 (OH), i81, i83, i283, i85, i185(GA), i285, i485, i90, i95, i295(VA & NJ), i495, i695(MD), i99

Go Steelers, Pirates, and Penguins!

1995hoo

Quote from: JawnwoodS96 on March 17, 2014, 10:43:53 AM
Virginia's recent success has me looking, but I still feel I have to go with MSU. I also have ISU winning in another bracket. Other possibilities are Kansas, Arizona, Michigan, Duke, and Florida.

I think that Wichita State will lose in the Sweet Sixteen.

I have us losing to Michigan State as well, though I hope I'm wrong about that!
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Alps

While we're on the topic...

Yahoo is now requiring a phone number verification in order to create a bracket. The terms of this include that they have the right to text me marketing offers. So, no more Yahoo.

Someone please create a pool somewhere - any site will do - and post it here? "Real" games start Thursday, so we need to have it by then!

cu2010

This is cu2010, reminding you, help control the ugly sign population, don't have your shields spayed or neutered.

Alps

Quote from: cu2010 on March 17, 2014, 09:17:52 PM
How about ESPN?

http://games.espn.go.com/tournament-challenge-bracket/2014/en/group?groupID=492248

password is "interstate99"
Ha! I just created my own group as well! Forget it, I'll join yours. Kewl.

US 41

I'll try to join the pool tomorrow. I'm not done making my bracket yet.

Zeffy

If everyone wants me to, I'll join, but uh, I'm absolutely clueless on any of the teams in the NCAA bracket. So it would be me just throwing in random guesses and seeing how lucky I can get.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Thing 342

My Final Four consists of Florida, Arizona, Michigan State, and Louisville, with Louisville winning it all over Florida.

Alps

Quote from: Zeffy on March 17, 2014, 10:03:04 PM
If everyone wants me to, I'll join, but uh, I'm absolutely clueless on any of the teams in the NCAA bracket. So it would be me just throwing in random guesses and seeing how lucky I can get.
that's how these things work! i have two brackets, one consisting of likely upsets, the other my honest attempt to do as poorly as possible*. have at!

*as well as possible, but i suck

ET21

I'll need to make my picks, but I'll certainly join in

Clinched:

Zeffy

Quote from: Alps on March 17, 2014, 10:41:06 PM
Quote from: Zeffy on March 17, 2014, 10:03:04 PM
that's how these things work! i have two brackets, one consisting of likely upsets, the other my honest attempt to do as poorly as possible*. have at!

*as well as possible, but i suck

Yay, sounds like fun. I'll join.

Edit: Joined. My bracket name does and doesn't have anything to do with Alanland.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

US 41

picked L'ville. BTW I'm mvfcfan

ET21

Final Four is Virginia, Florida, Arizona, and Louisville.
Championship is Virginia and Louisville.
Champ is Louisville

Clinched:

CNGL-Leudimin

I'll enter as well. I know nothing, so it will be pure guess...

Quote from: Zeffy on March 18, 2014, 12:27:08 AMEdit: Joined. My bracket name does and doesn't have anything to do with Alanland.

Mine is an extreme case of sporclitis, but this time the quiz site is not involved...
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

pianocello

Quote from: Thing 342 on March 17, 2014, 10:31:53 PM
My Final Four consists of Florida, Arizona, Michigan State, and Louisville, with Louisville winning it all over Florida.

Weird, I have the exact same teams in. My only difference is that I have Florida beating Louisville.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

US 41

Final 4: Florida, Virginia, Wisconsin, Louisville
NC Game: FL vs. L'ville
Winner: L'Ville
Cinderellas: (12) N. Dakota State and (14) NC Central with both advancing to the elite 8

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.