News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Pro or college sports?

Started by golden eagle, March 11, 2014, 03:13:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which do you prefer: pro or college sports?

Pro
8 (34.8%)
College
6 (26.1%)
Neither
1 (4.3%)
Depends on the sport
8 (34.8%)

Total Members Voted: 23

golden eagle

I have a huge passion for college football, and I much rather watch college basketball than the NBA.

agentsteel53

pro all the way.  the NCAA is feces.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

jeffandnicole

I guess, because I grew up in an area without much in the way of big colleges, and I went to a school without sports (well, we had soccer...and softball), I just never cared about college athletics.

hotdogPi

Pro. Especially because I watch baseball.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

realjd

College football and basketball, pro soccer.

The NCAA may be feces but I still enjoy their product.

texaskdog

NFL is boring, college football is exciting

CNGL-Leudimin

Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

hotdogPi

Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Brandon

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Brandon

Quote from: texaskdog on March 11, 2014, 05:38:05 PM
NFL is boring, college football is exciting

Much agreed.  There's a reason it's called the No Fun League.

College basketball is much more fun as well.  Hockey is fun at both levels, and baseball is more fun at the pro level.  Soccer sucks no matter what you call it.  Give me curling, show jumping, and lacrosse instead please, they're enjoyable to watch, and actually involve strategy.  Soccer has got to be the most boring team sport I've ever seen.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Molandfreak

Neither. High school sports are the only thing worth anyone's time. And even then I don't follow anything closely, so this is my first post in the Sports board...
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

Zeffy

Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 11, 2014, 04:03:12 PM
I guess, because I grew up in an area without much in the way of big colleges, and I went to a school without sports (well, we had soccer...and softball), I just never cared about college athletics.

This. Except I didn't go to a college yet. But still, Pro all the way.

Quote from: Brandon link=topic=11823.msg284965#msg284965
Soccer sucks no matter what you call it. Soccer has got to be the most boring team sport I've ever seen.

This x1000.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

realjd

Quote from: Brandon on March 11, 2014, 05:58:25 PM
Soccerbaseball sucks no matter what you call it.  Give me curling, show jumping, and lacrosse instead please, they're enjoyable to watch, and actually involve strategy. Soccerbaseball has got to be the most boring team sport I've ever seen.

FTFY. If you like watching guys standing around doing absolutely nothing for 4 hours, baseball's your game!

Seriously though. Soccer is the world's most popular sport. Don't you think, maybe for a second, that you just don't really understand the game? Because if you think soccer has no strategy, you clearly don't. I'm admittedly like that with baseball. I literally see a bunch of guys standing around for 4 hours. I know how the game works from a mechanical perspective (hit the ball, run the bases, etc.), but I recognize zero strategy. Is there none? No, I just don't know what to look for.

Here's a hint with soccer: if you're watching the guy with the ball, you're missing most of the game. Pay attention to the entire field to see how the teams are running plays.

Alps

Baseball or hockey: pro (which includes minor leagues)
Football: Both, equally
Basketball or lacrosse: college
Soccer: neither

Added "Depends on the sport" option to poll

Brandon

Sorry, realjd, soccer is dull.  Baseball has real strategy.  You're just not watching the game right.  Soccer is slow, hockey and lacrosse are lightning fast.  If you want strategy on the fly, watch those two.

hotdogPi

Baseball and football both have times where a team is likely to score. The others don't have that "getting close to scoring" part to them.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50

realjd

Quote from: Brandon on March 11, 2014, 08:04:50 PM
Sorry, realjd, soccer is dull.  Baseball has real strategy.  You're just not watching the game right.  Soccer is slow, hockey and lacrosse are lightning fast.  If you want strategy on the fly, watch those two.

And you're not watching soccer right. That was exactly my point. I have absolutely no idea what goes on during a baseball game other than throwing the ball, hitting the ball (or not), rinse, repeat for 9 innings. Just like you clearly have no idea what goes on during a soccer game other than kicking the ball back and forth for 90 minutes.

texaskdog

Baseball is boring and getting worse with instant replay.  They need pitch clocks like football has play clocks.  Soccer needs more offense in whatever way it takes to get there.

Brandon

Quote from: texaskdog on March 11, 2014, 08:58:13 PM
Baseball is boring and getting worse with instant replay.  They need pitch clocks like football has play clocks.  Soccer needs more offense in whatever way it takes to get there.

I can see that.  Some of these pitchers are ridiculous with as long as they take.  Then we get the morons who walk into and out of batter's box constantly.  Call strikes on these twits.

74/171FAN

Quote from: Brandon on March 11, 2014, 09:34:00 PM
Quote from: texaskdog on March 11, 2014, 08:58:13 PM

I can see that.  Some of these pitchers are ridiculous with as long as they take.  Then we get the morons who walk into and out of batter's box constantly.  Call strikes on these twits.

No one was as bad as Steve Trachsel with that though.  If you could handle watching him pitch, you could probably handle anybody.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

kurumi

For me:
NFL > NCAAFB (opinion would probably change if SEC fan)
NCAABB > NBA
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

ET21

Basketball: Both college and pro
Baseball: Pro
Football: College
Hockey: college and pro
Soccer (Football for you Euros): Pro
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

cpzilliacus

No interest in college sports since my alma mater is joining the execrable Big Ten.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

realjd

Quote from: cpzilliacus on March 13, 2014, 11:24:08 PM
No interest in college sports since my alma mater is joining the execrable Big Ten.

What's wrong with the Big Ten? It may not be the power conference it used to be, but it's always competitive and makes for entertaining competitions.

Brandon

Quote from: cpzilliacus on March 13, 2014, 11:24:08 PM

People need to stop believing everything the Equine-ass SEC Promotion Network tells them.  They're still pissy that the B1G chose to make their own network.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.