News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Pro or college sports?

Started by golden eagle, March 11, 2014, 03:13:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which do you prefer: pro or college sports?

Pro
8 (34.8%)
College
6 (26.1%)
Neither
1 (4.3%)
Depends on the sport
8 (34.8%)

Total Members Voted: 23

pianocello

Quote from: cpzilliacus on March 13, 2014, 11:24:08 PM
No interest in college sports since my alma mater is joining the execrable Big Ten.

The feeling is mutual.

To actually contribute to this thread, I prefer college sports over pro. Growing up in the Quad Cities, I never really had a geographic pro team to be loyal to, but it was easy for me to jump on the local Hawkeye bandwagon (I have since become a Michigan State fan, but that's another story).
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

triplemultiplex

Some college sports can be fun to watch but I will always prefer watching athletes who are fairly compensated for their labor in a multi-billion dollar industry.

There is a certain appeal to college hoops, though, because smaller schools can compete more readily with big schools.  Look at Wichita State this year.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

DandyDan

Before I moved to Nebraska, I would have definitely said pro sports are better.  But having lived here since 1996, I can appreciate what college sports are about much better, since Nebraska has no real pro teams to speak of.  (While it's fun to go to an Omaha Storm Chasers baseball game, the fact remains they are a farm team of the Kansas City Royals, so they can't count for anything.)  OTOH, the only college sport I can say that is truly better than its pro counterpart is basketball, because the NBA is fixed, as far as I am concerned.  Football is equal and so is hockey.  (I personally believe every team ever in hockey has the same goal celebration, FWIW.)  I'm never seen pro volleyball to see if it compares to college volleyball, so I can't fairly say on that one, and everything else seems to favor the pros.  I can definitely say pro soccer is better than college soccer for sure.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

cpzilliacus

Quote from: realjd on March 14, 2014, 03:23:01 PM
No interest in college sports since my alma mater is joining the execrable Big Ten.

What's wrong with the Big Ten? It may not be the power conference it used to be, but it's always competitive and makes for entertaining competitions.

Nothing wrong with the Big Ten - except for my school joining it - it's a midwestern league, and always will be. 
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Brandon on March 14, 2014, 04:07:17 PM

People need to stop believing everything the Equine-ass SEC Promotion Network tells them.  They're still pissy that the B1G chose to make their own network.

I don't really care about the Big Ten Network, as I will not be watching it (though I do admit to an intense dislike of Delany's "partner" in that venture, Murdoch's FoX).
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.