News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Purple Text/Colorblind Users

Started by Molandfreak, February 09, 2015, 09:05:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Molandfreak

I'm not colorblind, but I'm wondering if colorblind users can see the purple text that is used by the moderators/admins to weed out rude behavior or explain the rules. It's pretty dark and seems very similar to the normal black text. Red gets the attention of users better, and I'm sure colorblind users can make out the difference. I'm skeptical that colorblind users can see the difference between this and black.
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

hotdogPi

* 1 still needs the /me command though
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

rickmastfan67

I think it was Alex that first used the purple and we all adapted to it when we moderate.  Maybe we could in the future add the bold tag to it and make it a little stronger, like so.

kphoger

I just asked my coworker if she could tell the difference in the previous post.  She didn't believe me that "like so" was purple.  It looks like normal black text to her, except that it's also bold.  So your answer is no:  colorblind users likely would not be able to distinguish purple text from black text.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Zeffy

The red the forum uses though hurts my eyes. What about this color?
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

hotdogPi

How about a compromise? (The color is "#CC00CC", as you can see when attempting to quote me.)

NE2

Quote from: 1 on February 10, 2015, 02:35:34 PM
How about a compromise? (The color is "#C0C", as you can see when attempting to quote me.)
Compacted, you dic.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

kphoger

Quote from: 1 on February 10, 2015, 02:35:34 PM
How about a compromise? (The color is "#CC00CC", as you can see when attempting to quote me.)

To my coworker's eyes, that color appears red, identical to the text in the OP.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

hotdogPi

AA00AA
BB00BB
CC00CC

Any optimal color?

kphoger

To my coworker's eyes:

Quote from: 1 on February 10, 2015, 04:53:53 PM
770077 - Black

880088 - Black

990099 - Black

AA00AA - Black

BB00BB - Makes her angry because, depending on how close she is to the monitor or what angle, it either looks black or red

CC00CC - Red
Male pronouns, please.

US81

There may be a mistake here in thinking of colorblindness as a homogenous entity. There are many kinds of colorblindness, red and red-green colorblindness being among the most common forms, but even within this group there are several variants of red and red-green colorblindness, some of whom purportedly see colors that those with normal vision do not. Magenta, turquoise and blue are supposed to be easiest to distinguish for the majority of individuals with color blindness (despite the existence of persons with yellow-blue colorblindness). As a side note, that fact that kphoger's coworker happens to be female is fascinating because far fewer females than males are affected; most types are X-linked recessive although some more rare variants are linked to a chromosome 7 mutation.

I can't begin to speak to any aspect of color-rendering on computer monitors and any relevant info therein, but I'm sure others on this forum can do so.

tl, dr: I think kphoger's coworker's experiences are relevant and worthy of discussion, I just want to interject the caution that not everyone (maybe no one) experiences colorblindness in the same way. So what's true for her may or may not be true for other colorblind users of the forum.

vtk

As i understand it, teal should be distinct from black in the most common red green color blindness. Perhaps we should test this empirically with whatever color blind subjects are available.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

DaBigE

What about skipping the color altogether and putting the moderated text in italics with some kind of unique brackets on either end, like:

<<< moderated text >>>

or

{{ moderated text }}
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

Pete from Boston

Quote from: DaBigE on February 11, 2015, 01:06:48 AM
What about skipping the color altogether and putting the moderated text in italics with some kind of unique brackets on either end, like:

<<< moderated text >>>

or

{{ moderated text }}

Here's a wild idea: type "Moderator's note:" before the text. 

jakeroot

Quote from: Pete from Boston on February 11, 2015, 01:16:56 AM

<<< moderated text >>>

or

{{ moderated text }}

Meh, not obvious enough.

I prefer colored text, since it's more obviously a separate thought from the rest of the post when glazing around the page at high speed (e.g. scrolling). Wrapping the text on either side is a good substitute for color (as in DaBigE's post), but, IMHO, it's still not obvious enough.

signalman

<<< moderated text >>>

or

{{ moderated text }}

Here's an even crazier idea: Read the rules and follow said rules.  Then moderators won't need to use a different color to reiterate the guidelines.

NE2

In before a moderator tells Jardine that one of the rules says don't tell others to follow the rules.

In before a moderator tells me the same.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Alex

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on February 10, 2015, 02:14:15 AM
I think it was Alex that first used the purple and we all adapted to it when we moderate.[/color].

Credit for that goes to Scott N.

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on February 10, 2015, 02:14:15 AM
Maybe we could in the future add the bold tag to it and make it a little stronger, like so.

If members stayed away from politics, religion, personal attacks and triple posting, there would be little need for purple.  :-P

Pete from Boston

Quote from: jakeroot on February 11, 2015, 01:52:35 AM

<<< moderated text >>>

or

{{ moderated text }}

Meh, not obvious enough.

Bold these words then.  Use all caps.  If a heading with both of these is not obvious enough, then other people are over-formatting their posts.  If it needs to be more obvious than this treatment makes it, reading attention needs to improve.   

vtk

How about this:

<<Moderator's note: There is no spoon.>>

It stands out without shouting, yet doesn't rely entirely on color to set itself apart (which is an accessibility no-no).
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

kphoger

Well, I'm no good anymore. That coworker just got fired this morning.
Male pronouns, please.

Pete from Boston

hbelkins

How many colorblind people do we have here, anyway?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

hotdogPi

Pete from Boston

Has anyone looked into, you know, an established standard for colorblind-accessible text?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.