News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

New York

Started by Alex, August 18, 2009, 12:34:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

astralentity

Quote from: Rothman on May 12, 2022, 10:37:28 PM
Quote from: astralentity on May 12, 2022, 06:07:52 PM
Ok...  anyone have a clue when Sacandaga Road between Vley Road and the Scotia village line will ever be repaved?  It's literally a cobblestone road now.
Put a bobblehead on your dashboard and drive it, taking a video of it shaking.  That always gets NYSDOT's attention.

:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

roadman65

https://goo.gl/maps/etJHfw67w9vbkgoz9

I take the design of this water tower was by Robert Moses?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

SidS1045

Quote from: roadman65 on May 20, 2022, 08:36:01 AM
https://goo.gl/maps/etJHfw67w9vbkgoz9

I take the design of this water tower was by Robert Moses?

Yes, supposedly patterned after a campanile (Italian bell tower) he saw in Venice.
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

steviep24

I encountered a work zone with camera enforcement on NY 33A in Rochester today.

Rothman

Quote from: steviep24 on May 20, 2022, 06:20:42 PM
So it begins in NY.  New pilot program.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

MASTERNC

Quote from: Rothman on May 20, 2022, 08:20:21 PM

Did they ever announce it had officially been launched?  I don't even see a website.

cl94

Oh, NYSTA started using them last year, but they only issued warnings.

My concern is that they'll use cameras in work zones without active work for revenue enhancement, sort of how NYC uses "school zone" speed cameras 16 hours a day every week of the year. If the cameras are actually to keep workers safe instead of revenue enhancement, they won't be active outside of work hours. Some states are good with this, others are not.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

MASTERNC

Quote from: cl94 on May 20, 2022, 09:56:23 PM

My concern is that they'll use cameras in work zones without active work for revenue enhancement, sort of how NYC uses "school zone" speed cameras 16 hours a day every week of the year. If the cameras are actually to keep workers safe instead of revenue enhancement, they won't be active outside of work hours. Some states are good with this, others are not.

They might still be in beta test like PA was for a few months. When the program went live, there was a press release and a website.

vdeane

^ There have been numerous stories in the news about it.  The fact that these cameras are coming shouldn't be a surprise at this point to people who live in the state.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

D-Dey65

I don't remember whether this question has been asked in the past or not, but I see two metal poles sticking up from this long-sought Harlem Line bridge over US 202 and NY 22 in Croton Falls;
https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?61697
So are these signposts for a low clearance sign above the road? If not, it should be.

MASTERNC

Quote from: vdeane on May 21, 2022, 05:22:13 PM
^ There have been numerous stories in the news about it.  The fact that these cameras are coming shouldn't be a surprise at this point to people who live in the state.

Looks like the contract was just awarded at the beginning of April.

https://www.dot.ny.gov/doing-business/opportunities/consult-results

astralentity

I have been told of instances where people have gotten nailed for work zone speed infractions even when workers are not present.

Rothman

Quote from: astralentity on June 04, 2022, 09:19:28 AM

I have been told of instances where people have gotten nailed for work zone speed infractions even when workers are not present.

Already?  I don't think there is that restriction on the enforcement usage, though.  In NY, work zone safety is such a hot topic (intrusions and deaths happen every year) that I am sure the argument would be made that those who speed through work zones would do so if workers are present or not.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

MASTERNC

Quote from: Rothman on June 04, 2022, 10:58:33 AM

Already?  I don't think there is that restriction on the enforcement usage, though.  In NY, work zone safety is such a hot topic (intrusions and deaths happen every year) that I am sure the argument would be made that those who speed through work zones would do so if workers are present or not.

According to the RFP, the cameras are only used when workers are present. 

kalvado

One can argue that posting and enforcing empty work zones trains people to ignore those when not enforced.
Chicken and egg.

webny99

I don't know, personally I'm much more cautious in active work zones. If there's just a lane closure with no active work, I'll mostly try to just keep up with traffic or go up to 10 over just to prevent braking/slowdowns/backups. But caution takes precedence when there's active work going on.

kalvado

Quote from: webny99 on June 04, 2022, 12:48:28 PM
I don't know, personally I'm much more cautious in active work zones. If there's just a lane closure with no active work, I'll mostly try to just keep up with traffic or go up to 10 over just to prevent braking/slowdowns/backups. But caution takes precedence when there's active work going on.
You can only see active work from 0.5 mile away, probably less. That gives you little time to actually slow down.
Point of signage is to give an advance warning.
Great if you are dealing with roadwork on your daily drive and know what to expect. Outside of that familiar area, "roadwork next 6 miles" sign being the only sign of any work is... Confusing.

vdeane

On the Thruway at least, it seems like work zone speed reductions are happening closer to the actual work zone than in the past.  Before it felt like one was driving for half a mile before the work zone at the reduced speed, and then again after, but now the reductions seems to be right at the lane shifts (sometimes a little within them).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

cl94

The same psychology that applies to speed limits applies to work zone limits. If the limit is lowered excessively, people are trained to ignore it. If it is only lowered when necessary, people make damn sure to follow it. This is why speed limit adherence is garbage in the Northeast US and Canada- limits are underposted by 10-20 with the expectation people will drive 10-20 over. In my experience, average speeds on rural freeways are pretty consistent across the US despite differing speed limits.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Rothman

Quote from: MASTERNC on June 04, 2022, 12:19:39 PM

According to the RFP, the cameras are only used when workers are present.
Wonder what that means legally.  Contractor is enforcing limits via camera during times it shouldn't per the contract, but speeders are still breaking the law.

vdeane

Quote from: cl94 on June 04, 2022, 04:56:51 PM
The same psychology that applies to speed limits applies to work zone limits. If the limit is lowered excessively, people are trained to ignore it. If it is only lowered when necessary, people make damn sure to follow it. This is why speed limit adherence is garbage in the Northeast US and Canada- limits are underposted by 10-20 with the expectation people will drive 10-20 over. In my experience, average speeds on rural freeways are pretty consistent across the US despite differing speed limits.
Agreed.  This change is certainly welcome, and may well increase compliance.  Before, I tended to have to be very careful to keep my speed to 62 or less (my usual 7 over).  Now, I find that I'm naturally keeping to the 55-60 range, because I don't have a long lead-in where I feel like I'm crawling.

Honestly, I would love it if the northeast dumped its "underpost because everyone will go 10-20 over" mindset, freeways especially.  I'm a natural rule follower, so keeping exactly to a reasonable limit is far preferable to having to come up with a system for how much I should speed in a given area, especially as such tends not to be consistent.

It can get really bad if an underposted limit is combined with a long staging for a reduced limit or stop.  Driving I-81 approaching the Thousand Islands Bridge is downright painful because the 40 zone extends for a MILE before the bridge.  Ditto for either end of I-781.  And that's WITH my "7 over on freeways" system.

(personal opinion)

roadman65

https://goo.gl/maps/MQqYS8CMNzS997EQA

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.4280686,-73.7202356,15z

I see Google is showing the unsigned reference route number for the Exit 22 spur along I-87 in Lake George.  If it's correct that is.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

cockroachking

Quote from: roadman65 on June 06, 2022, 08:48:55 AM
https://goo.gl/maps/MQqYS8CMNzS997EQA

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.4280686,-73.7202356,15z

I see Google is showing the unsigned reference route number for the Exit 22 spur along I-87 in Lake George.  If it's correct that is.
It is in fact NY-912Q.

Google Maps also labels NY-954H, NY-920D/NY-920J, and NY-912M, to name a few.

They also label NY-990V and the likes, but they are actually posted as touring routes.

astralentity

Any news on further exit number conversions in NY?

SignBridge

Hasn't even started yet in NYS DOT Region-10 on Long Island.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.