News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Time to replace my DSLR....any advice?

Started by 1995hoo, April 06, 2015, 10:21:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1995hoo

I have a Canon EOS 20D I purchased new back in March 2005. Love the camera, but it's nearing the end of its run. Among other issues, only one autofocus point is working anymore, so I usually focus manually. That can cause problems from time to time, of course. Given the camera's age, I think it probably makes more sense just to buy a new one (or a used newer model from a place like B&H) than it would to have my current one repaired.

I want to stick with Canon for obvious reasons of lens compatibility. I see B&H have the 60D, which has been discontinued, for $479 (body only). That's an excellent price for a DSLR body. The 7D (again body only) is available for $749. The 7D has a faster shutter and uses CF cards (same as my 20D); the 60D uses SD. The 7D's controls also look more similar to what I have now, though after a few weeks one easily gets past that. But the 60D's price is hard to beat.

Anyone have any thoughts on either of those models or any other advice? I haven't really paid a lot of attention to camera bodies over the past ten years because I liked my 20D and saw no reason to replace it, so I don't have a huge sense for what's out there now.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

AsphaltPlanet

I have a 60D, and have been pretty happy with it.  My only gripe is that the autofocus works very slowly when using the live-view function instead of using the viewfinder.  (I generally use the viewfinder anyways).  The image quality is pretty good, (probably a big improvement over the 20D).  I have had good experiences with the Sony Translucent lens cameras as well, but of course they won't work with your existing Canon lenses.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.