News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Alps' Roads UPDATE!

Started by Alps, August 29, 2009, 04:10:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

For the first time since the forum restarted, I finally have an update to announce!  The PA State College meet in April now has a page, along with various sights from the meet on various pages, and there's a lot of NJ work too including Bergen County.  If you like old route shields, you'll love Bergen and its many new CR pages.  So head on over to http://www.alpsroads.net/roads!

Mr. Matté

Thanks for the update but all the links on the updated section from "Garden State Parkway" and down link to the US 404 page.

Alps

And that is totally FIXED!  My bad.

Alps

It took six months for one update and now 6 days for the next one.  The second half of the update is all things Florida.  Check out button copy and bridges on I-275 and I-95, or feast on 193 photos (and a video) from US 1 starting in Miami and continuing down to Key West.  Enjoy more Bahia Honda Bridge and Seven Mile Bridge than you thought possible!  http://www.alpsroads.net/roads has the new Florida update listed with handy links.

Ian

Hey alps, do you need Maine photos? You seem to lack Maine on your site.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Alps

Quote from: PennDOTFan on September 05, 2009, 09:34:22 AM
Hey alps, do you need Maine photos? You seem to lack Maine on your site.
Funny you mention it.  Next update has 331 photos and 3 videos from that great state!

Ian

UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Alps

florida

On this page http://www.alpsroads.net/roads/fl/i-95/s.html

"FL 817 NB and SB at FL 848, which also goes west to FL 823, but who really cares about that road? There appears to have at one point been another sign on each assembly, so that could have been a WEST 848. I believe these are courtesy Costa Ioannidis - please correct or confirm."

Yes, that's correct.
So many roads...so little time.

Alps

New updates!  My Memorial Day trip is up along with all the photos from New England - especially Maine - and a good number from Maryland.  http://www.alpsroads.net/roads has the gooey details.

Alex

Quote from: AlpsROADS on October 27, 2009, 06:28:31 PM
New updates!  My Memorial Day trip is up along with all the photos from New England - especially Maine - and a good number from Maryland.  http://www.alpsroads.net/roads has the gooey details.

What roads do you add coverage for in Maryland? I am looking at your MD-272 page and don't think that you had it before. I love the Turkey Point area at the south end of MD-272. Have hiked there many times!

Alps

The front page tells all re: the updates.  Yes, MD 272 (Elk Neck) page is one of the new ones.  I went up and down the coastline of the northern Chesapeake.

Alex

Sign rot:
https://www.aaroads.com/mid-atlantic/district_of_columbia/independence_av_sw_wb_app_15th_st_sw.jpg - in 2005
http://www.alpsroads.net/roads/dc/ind_ave/w15.jpg

I've never taken the I-695 spur westbound or saw this sign http://www.alpsroads.net/roads/dc/i-295/b9.jpg

Since you did some hiking around Elk Neck, next time you are in northeastern MD take MD-24 to Rocks State Park. Definitely worth a visit!

shadyjay

Funny that a good chunk of your I-95 CT signs are now history.... everything from NY to Exit 30 has been replaced, and they're working right now on Exits 35-42 and 47-50.

Alps

As of this moment, Alps' Roads has well over 1,000 more photos from the great state of New York.  Coverage includes the entirety of Long Island (including Shelter Island), the Highland Road Meet on October 3 (aka Poughkeepsie, aka Newburgh), and some pre-Highland festivities that not everyone at the meet got to see (Wallkill Valley Railroad Bridge, Perrine's Bridge on NY 213).  So you owe it to the gringoes to bip on over and check out the latest, greatest, NY photos.  As always, the full update digest is on http://www.alpsroads.net/roads, and comments/corrections/submittals/etc. are always welcome.

P.S.  Why only 75% complete?  Well over 400 photos of the Long Island Motor Parkway will be coming your way shortly!  Stay tuned.

Alps

Quote from: AlpsROADS on November 28, 2009, 02:21:43 AM
P.S.  Why only 75% complete?  Well over 400 photos of the Long Island Motor Parkway will be coming your way shortly!  Stay tuned.

The update has been completed.  Come over to the Long Island Motor Parkway at http://www.alpsroads.net/roads/ny/limp and see nearly 450 photos of just about as many sections of the old Parkway as can possibly be traversed along with a detailed history and directions on how to access all of the same sections I found.  As always, especially with a significant project like this, comments and corrections will be welcomed.  I am especially looking for input from/relating to the other major Parkway websites as linked on the front LIMP page.

Alps

Since I will be leaving for even more Old Northwest photos tomorrow, I thought it would be good to get some of them into an UPDATE!  At http://www.alpsroads.net/roads you will find highlights including a new Puerto Rico page, Michael Summa's sign collection (it's dandy), the original brick National Road in Illinois, the 2009 Indianapolis Road Meet, bridges of Cincinnati, hundreds of new Michigan photos including the Historic Bridge Park, abandoned Troy Meadow Rd. in NJ, and a whole bunch of button copy in Indiana and New Jersey.  I expect to see you at http://www.alpsroads.net/roads.  May the New Year bring you more happy travels and less Clearview!

agentsteel53

wow, Mike S has a West Virginia turnpike coffin shield?  excellent!

I'll be seeing him around Jan 25th ... definitely looking forward to that visit. He's been an incredible help with the shield gallery as he has been taking photos and collecting signs since 1969.  The only person I know who regularly took photos longer ago than that is Jim Lindsay (1953 to today, and still going strong - the shield gallery has photos from him from the 50s, and photos from him from last month).
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Alps

I've just added 1,500 photos (out of 2,900 total) to my Ohio empire.  Feast on the treats of the Waldvogel Viaduct, abandoned Maryland Ave. and Torrence Rd. in Cincinnati, and plenty of other Interstate, US, and state highway goodies around the state!  As always, comments/corrections/questions and, of course, submittals are welcome!  The details are in the link:

http://www.alpsroads.net/roads

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: AlpsROADS on March 14, 2010, 11:03:17 PM
I've just added 1,500 photos (out of 2,900 total) to my Ohio empire.  Feast on the treats of the Waldvogel Viaduct, abandoned Maryland Ave. and Torrence Rd. in Cincinnati, and plenty of other Interstate, US, and state highway goodies around the state!  As always, comments/corrections/questions and, of course, submittals are welcome!  The details are in the link:
http://www.alpsroads.net/roads

I'll try to keep my following comments specific to each page of yours, but general to the regions.
Cleveland
I-490 started out as (proposed) I-80 N then I-290 (which was to have gone out along Shaker Blvd (Oh 87) to I-271) before its current status.  I don't know of any freeway extensions east of I-271 into Geauga County other than US 422 (and US 322 4 laning that ends at the county line)
Dennison Expwy (I-71/I-90/Shoreway West connectors) was to have continued south as mainline I-71 through Parma and North Royalton as late as 1957.  By 1960, I-71 south's routing had changed to the present routing.
I-480 N (the connector between I-480 and US 422) was originally intended to be US 422 all the way to the Oh 14 exit (according to Marc Fannin). Thus the extra space on the BGS for exit 26B (Rockside Rd) from I-271 NB.
Youngstown
I don't understand what you're saying about US 422 with the bypasses of Warren & DT Youngstown with surface routes.
Columbus
What is now I-670 (from I-70 west to I-71) was originally to be I-70.  By the mid 60s ODOT/Columbus had already decided that bringing I-70 west traffic into the Spring-Sandusky interchange was a bad idea, thus the present routing of I-70 from I-670 to I-71/315 (and a reconstruction of the then Mound-Sandusky interchange into what it is today)
Thus the (old) funky signage for I-670 @ Grandview Ave. for many years (prior to I-670 being completed).  I-70 was completed to Grandview Ave. in the late 60s and left like that till the "reroute" was completed in the mid 70s.
Also, I-71 was NEVER routed on Oh 315, between the innerbelt and I-270.  In fact, the 315 interstate wasn't completed till 1982 (I-71, in comparison was completed through Columbus by 1966).
I-670 east (I-71 to I-270) was conceived and built to connect DT C-bus and Port Columbus.
The actual purpose of the US 62 freeway (from west of the Airport on into Gahanna), prior to I-670 is unknown to me.  But all those photos were taken after I-670 was extended east in the mid 90s. Thus all those signs have yet to be replaced.
I-270 west used to have Indianapolis as the control city before the "Dayton tape job"
Also that "exit only" tab on 315 (on your I-270 index page) wasn't a "tape job" just shoddy work.
The reason for the exit spacing on I-270 between I-670 and Oh 161 (Easton area) was done on purpose.  The developers (Leslie Wexner of The Limited clothing fame) wanted to (esentially) have exclusive access from the Easton exit to New Albany. They paid ODOT handsomely (both above and below table) for this to happen.  It was a favorite subject between me and one of my Geography professors @ Ohio State.
Signage around I-270 and I-71 north has changed (again) due to construction in the last year or two.
All BGS signage at Polaris now includes the 750 shield within the signs, not as an extra appendage.
Oh your US 33 page, you have a I-270 south Wheeling sign photo.  I believe that sign is along Oh 161 east.  Notice the blue directional sign beneith the BGS.  It has 161 on it, not 33.
Central Ohio
Oh 13 was to be a 4 lane expressway from Mansfield to Newark (according to state plans from 1961 & 1972). Only parts built were from the Mansfield city limits to near Belleville and the bypass to the west of Fredricktown. Though, a map of Mt. Vernon, from the 1980s show a proposed Oh 13 bypass to the west of Mt. Vernon.

(You can go ahead and kick this to the Great Lakes forum sub-section)
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Alps

Though this may be too esoteric, I will try to address the points in order.  No one else may be interested...

Quote from: osu-lsu on March 15, 2010, 11:36:43 PM
I-490 started out as (proposed) I-80 N then I-290 (which was to have gone out along Shaker Blvd (Oh 87) to I-271) before its current status.  I don't know of any freeway extensions east of I-271 into Geauga County other than US 422 (and US 322 4 laning that ends at the county line)
I had found information about considering such an extension.  I'm not distinguishing between ideas vs. realistic/drawn plans when I write, so it may never have made it onto paper.

QuoteDennison Expwy (I-71/I-90/Shoreway West connectors) was to have continued south as mainline I-71 through Parma and North Royalton as late as 1957.  By 1960, I-71 south's routing had changed to the present routing.
Not sure that changes what I have written on any of my pages... I'm not telling a full history of routes, I'm only telling history as it is relevant to what I'm showing.

QuoteI-480 N (the connector between I-480 and US 422) was originally intended to be US 422 all the way to the Oh 14 exit (according to Marc Fannin). Thus the extra space on the BGS for exit 26B (Rockside Rd) from I-271 NB.
I'll make a note of that on the I-271 page - thanks!

QuoteI don't understand what you're saying about US 422 with the bypasses of Warren & DT Youngstown with surface routes.
I think I was referring obliquely to OH 82 and PA 60 (now I-376 anyway).  I'll fix it.

QuoteWhat is now I-670 (from I-70 west to I-71) was originally to be I-70.  By the mid 60s ODOT/Columbus had already decided that bringing I-70 west traffic into the Spring-Sandusky interchange was a bad idea, thus the present routing of I-70 from I-670 to I-71/315 (and a reconstruction of the then Mound-Sandusky interchange into what it is today)
Thus the (old) funky signage for I-670 @ Grandview Ave. for many years (prior to I-670 being completed).  I-70 was completed to Grandview Ave. in the late 60s and left like that till the "reroute" was completed in the mid 70s.
Thanks for that info - I'll update the pages with it.

QuoteAlso, I-71 was NEVER routed on Oh 315, between the innerbelt and I-270.  In fact, the 315 interstate wasn't completed till 1982 (I-71, in comparison was completed through Columbus by 1966).
I-71 did use 315 as far as I-670.  I had heard elsewhere that it was studied to continue straight north from there as well.  I'll clarify.

QuoteI-670 east (I-71 to I-270) was conceived and built to connect DT C-bus and Port Columbus.
The actual purpose of the US 62 freeway (from west of the Airport on into Gahanna), prior to I-670 is unknown to me.  But all those photos were taken after I-670 was extended east in the mid 90s. Thus all those signs have yet to be replaced.
It seemed like the signs were taken before the airport interchange was reconstructed.  But John K. did make multiple passes through there, apparently.  I'll update accordingly - also will recaption the last photo now that I see where it is.

QuoteI-270 west used to have Indianapolis as the control city before the "Dayton tape job"
Got it, thanks.

QuoteAlso that "exit only" tab on 315 (on your I-270 index page) wasn't a "tape job" just shoddy work.
Is that your observation, theory, or is that confirmed?

QuoteThe reason for the exit spacing on I-270 between I-670 and Oh 161 (Easton area) was done on purpose.  The developers (Leslie Wexner of The Limited clothing fame) wanted to (esentially) have exclusive access from the Easton exit to New Albany. They paid ODOT handsomely (both above and below table) for this to happen.  It was a favorite subject between me and one of my Geography professors @ Ohio State.
I'll word it tactfully.

QuoteSignage around I-270 and I-71 north has changed (again) due to construction in the last year or two.
All BGS signage at Polaris now includes the 750 shield within the signs, not as an extra appendage.
Not changing the caption, but thanks for the info.

QuoteOh your US 33 page, you have a I-270 south Wheeling sign photo.  I believe that sign is along Oh 161 east.  Notice the blue directional sign beneith the BGS.  It has 161 on it, not 33.
OH 161 intersects both sides of I-270, as a freeway, and one of them has US 33.  I just chose the wrong side.

QuoteOh 13 was to be a 4 lane expressway from Mansfield to Newark (according to state plans from 1961 & 1972). Only parts built were from the Mansfield city limits to near Belleville and the bypass to the west of Fredricktown. Though, a map of Mt. Vernon, from the 1980s show a proposed Oh 13 bypass to the west of Mt. Vernon.
Thanks for the info - not adding to the caption at this time but will keep it in mind if I add more to the page.

florida

The Waldvogel Viaduct is uber-cool!! Along with the abandoned roads (which I'll have to look up on google to see how/why they were replaced) and the bridges!
So many roads...so little time.

Scott5114

When do we get to see your Tulsa Meet stuff? ;)
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

rawmustard

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 23, 2010, 09:56:04 AM
When do we get to see your Tulsa Meet stuff? ;)

I think he said in the chat that he wanted to get Detroit meet stuff up first. And I should be able to recognize some of those because I drove him over for that. :sombrero:

Hellfighter

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.