News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Corridor H

Started by CanesFan27, September 20, 2009, 03:01:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1995hoo

Quote from: seicer on November 05, 2021, 11:19:31 AM
Yikes. For reference, it's at https://goo.gl/maps/hMgyxMhc842Uzutp6

Seems to me the campground shown on the map there should be located southeast of town, IF you know what I mean...

:bigass:
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

seicer

Quote from: Alps on November 04, 2021, 06:08:22 PM
Quote from: seicer on November 04, 2021, 02:01:38 PM
Interesting.

Also from a recent trip up that way, US 48 is being asphalted west of Elkins for a number of miles. That segment is older than I had thought (1994) and the concrete joints were all deteriorating. WVDOH has invested a lot to replace practically every joint. I'm surprised they just didn't diamond grind it down afterward.

And it's good to see the state investing in recessed reflective markers. Kentucky recessed its markers decades ago and only recently began doing it state-wide. I noticed Virginia doing the same on newly paved routes.
I find it interesting that the joints didn't even last 30 years. I can't swear to it, but the joints of the same age along I-287 here appear to still be original and those see much heavier traffic and similar freeze/thaw.

As Brian noted, I wonder if they were not jointed. It reminds me of I-88 condition - not necessarily with slabs faulting, but with the joints separating. There is much about concrete's chemistry that I do not understand but it's interesting that it's not uniform.

It reminds me of I-99 near State College. The northernmost segment built in 1997 just got repaved after the slabs were faulting. Segments just to the south were built in 2001 and are in perfect condition. On the surface they looked the same.

hbelkins

That bridge closing sounds like the contractors did shoddy work. Those structures should still be in pristine condition.

And why should they close the entire section? Why not detour traffic along CR 1 that passes under the bridge and has a connection to the four-lane?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

froggie

I doubt CR 1 would be able to handle the traffic volume.  While it's paved, it's a tad narrow and also lacks edge striping.

Also, using CR 1 as you suggest would require five turns that would not exist with the planned CR 219/86 detour route.

Bitmapped

Quote from: hbelkins on November 05, 2021, 08:47:25 PM
That bridge closing sounds like the contractors did shoddy work. Those structures should still be in pristine condition.

And why should they close the entire section? Why not detour traffic along CR 1 that passes under the bridge and has a connection to the four-lane?

It's faster and easier just to have traffic stay on Old US 219 (CR 219/86). It's a straight shot, no turns required, and you can drive 55mph without any trouble. With the four-lane highway ending just a couple miles north of the work zone, there's no advantage to having traffic get on this short portion of road.

A substantial percentage of locals continued to use Old US 219 all along rather than bother getting on/off Corridor H if they're heading north from Elkins. Traffic counts are actually higher (about 2800 VPD versus 2400) on Old US 219 versus Corridor H.

Great Lakes Roads

Looking through Corridor H's website from WVDOT, it looks like the Parsons to Davis as well as the Wardensville to Virginia state line sections are "tentatively scheduled to start construction in 2024". Getting closer to a full four-lane highway from I-79 in WV to I-81 in VA!

SP Cook

The governor stated yesterday that it was his plan to have all sections under construction before he leaves office (he is term limited and cannot run in 24). 

No idea about Virginia, but I would assume the change in party makes things like finishing H and Q better, just looking at the color map.

froggie

^ However, the new Virginia governor is from Northern Virginia so I would expect more of a push from him there than for finishing the Corridors.

cl94

The Corridors really aren't a big priority for Virginia at this point. The unbuilt portions of H and Q would do little for Virginia. Far more things that would actually benefit the state, such as US 220 south of Roanoke, I-81, I-64, and I-95.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Life in Paradise

Quote from: cl94 on January 27, 2022, 12:49:04 PM
The Corridors really aren't a big priority for Virginia at this point. The unbuilt portions of H and Q would do little for Virginia. Far more things that would actually benefit the state, such as US 220 south of Roanoke, I-81, I-64, and I-95.
You just never know, if WV gets all of their work done to the VA state line, that short stretch will stand out, and perhaps from VA legislators and DC types that like to take skiing or other recreational trips to Northern WV will start to make some noise.

The Ghostbuster

I highly doubt US 48/Corridor H will ever be a four-lane highway in the state of Virginia. The four-lane highway segment will likely always have its eastern terminus right where it is today, just west of the town of Wardensville, West Virginia. I think the WV 55 designation should end at is junction with US 48 in Mooresville, and 48 should continue as the sole designation east of there to Interstate 81 in Strasburg, Virginia (the VA 55 duplex with 48 should be eliminated as well). As I've stated before, all of VA 55 to its eastern terminus at US 29 in Gainesville should be part of US 48.

sprjus4

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on January 27, 2022, 04:36:11 PM
The four-lane highway segment will likely always have its eastern terminus right where it is today, just west of the town of Wardensville, West Virginia.
Wardensville to Virginia state line begins construction in 2024.

A safer bet is that the eastern terminus will end up there... not where it is today.

The Ghostbuster

Dirt Roads

The four-lane highway segment will likely always have its eastern terminus right where it is today, just west of the town of Wardensville, West Virginia.

Quote from: sprjus4 on January 27, 2022, 04:49:39 PM
Wardensville to Virginia state line begins construction in 2024.

A safer bet is that the eastern terminus will end up there... not where it is today.

I highly doubt US 48/Corridor H will ever be a four-lane highway in the state of Virginia. The four-lane highway segment will likely always have its eastern terminus right where it is today, just west of the town of Wardensville, West Virginia. I think the WV 55 designation should end at is junction with US 48 in Mooresville, and 48 should continue as the sole designation east of there to Interstate 81 in Strasburg, Virginia (the VA 55 duplex with 48 should be eliminated as well). As I've stated before, all of VA 55 to its eastern terminus at US 29 in Gainesville should be part of US 48.

Quote from: Life in Paradise on January 27, 2022, 12:55:18 PM
You just never know, if WV gets all of their work done to the VA state line, that short stretch will stand out, and perhaps from VA legislators and DC types that like to take skiing or other recreational trips to Northern WV will start to make some noise.

It was always my impression that VDOT would never build a four-lane US-48 to help out West Virginia, but then VTGoose posted this in the Virginia thread yesterday:

Twenty million won't even touch the engineering costs for this section, but there should be enough planning money to get the ball rolling.  However, the same factions that stopped the upgrade of US-15 through Loudoun will be in play here.

VTGoose

Quote from: Dirt Roads on January 27, 2022, 10:12:12 PM

It was always my impression that VDOT would never build a four-lane US-48 to help out West Virginia, but then VTGoose posted this in the Virginia thread yesterday:

Twenty million won't even touch the engineering costs for this section, but there should be enough planning money to get the ball rolling.  However, the same factions that stopped the upgrade of US-15 through Loudoun will be in play here.

Sen. Mark Warner made that announcement. What isn't clear is if that is an additional $20 million for those two highways (U.S. 48 and U.S. 460) or if it is just a specific part of  what has already been tagged in the infrastructure act: Appalachian Development Highway System: $102,835,469

Bruce in Blacksburg
"Get in the fast lane, grandma!  The bingo game is ready to roll!"

1995hoo

Notice also the graphic says "eligible." "Eligible for" is not the same thing as "slated for" or similar. (Put differently, I'm "eligible" to be elected President of the United States.)

froggie

Given the focus on completing Corridor Q, which has active projects and studies going on, I would suspect/expect that the $20M would go there.

Mapmikey

VA 9 serves as a counter-example to this idea...

It probably would require legislative action to get US 48 4-laned in Virginia.  VDOT has never put out anything, even in long range stuff suggesting they are looking at improving US 48.

1995hoo

Quote from: Mapmikey on January 28, 2022, 09:17:37 AM

VA 9 serves as a counter-example to this idea...

That's an excellent point–arguably Virginia doubled down on not "upgrading" and widening Route 9 by abandoning the proposal to bypass Hillsboro and instead building the roundabouts at each end of the town, installing sidewalks, and reducing the amount of on-street parking.

cl94

Quote from: froggie on January 28, 2022, 08:42:22 AM
Given the focus on completing Corridor Q, which has active projects and studies going on, I would suspect/expect that the $20M would go there.

Isn't Q down to two unopened segments of the entire thing? Grundy-Breaks in VA and 80-195 in Kentucky are the only things that stand out to me, with the KY one under construction.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

froggie

Yes, Q is down to Grundy-Breaks in VA, but that will still cost well into the 9-digits.  And studies are still underway on most of it.

rte66man

Quote from: seicer on November 05, 2021, 01:16:09 PM
Quote from: Alps on November 04, 2021, 06:08:22 PM
Quote from: seicer on November 04, 2021, 02:01:38 PM
Interesting.

Also from a recent trip up that way, US 48 is being asphalted west of Elkins for a number of miles. That segment is older than I had thought (1994) and the concrete joints were all deteriorating. WVDOH has invested a lot to replace practically every joint. I'm surprised they just didn't diamond grind it down afterward.

And it's good to see the state investing in recessed reflective markers. Kentucky recessed its markers decades ago and only recently began doing it state-wide. I noticed Virginia doing the same on newly paved routes.
I find it interesting that the joints didn't even last 30 years. I can't swear to it, but the joints of the same age along I-287 here appear to still be original and those see much heavier traffic and similar freeze/thaw.

As Brian noted, I wonder if they were not jointed. It reminds me of I-88 condition - not necessarily with slabs faulting, but with the joints separating. There is much about concrete's chemistry that I do not understand but it's interesting that it's not uniform.

It reminds me of I-99 near State College. The northernmost segment built in 1997 just got repaved after the slabs were faulting. Segments just to the south were built in 2001 and are in perfect condition. On the surface they looked the same.

Most likely one of two reasons: Either the concrete wasn't specced (specked?) correctly or the bed wasn't sufficiently compacted.  I would put my money on the former. I work for a concrete company and was stunned to learn we have literally hundreds of mix designs, many of which are custom to a particular DOT job. DOT's are always looking for ways to save money by using a less than adequate mix design, especially when the bids come in over estimate.
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

Great Lakes Roads

https://www.wvnews.com/news/wvnews/west-virginia-officials-announce-corridor-h-bid-award/article_3b7ab8a2-93ea-11ec-a35d-776695beb3d4.html

Construction will be underway on another section of the Corridor H project in eastern West Virginia- the 3300-foot long Cheat River Bridge.

lepidopteran

Tucker County residents seek "better route"  for Corridor H in Davis-Thomas area
https://wvmetronews.com/2022/07/31/471182/

SP Cook

These people are the BANANA/NIMBY crew that has held up this road for decades.  While they talk about "alternatives"  their goal is the same as it has been for 60 years.  Kill the project. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.