News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

9 Degrees in Dallas?

Started by roadman65, February 16, 2021, 10:22:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

I can't believe Texas is below freezing in temps including Galveston.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Max Rockatansky

Why not?  The only place that has never had freezing temperatures in the lower 48 states is the Florida Keys. 

kphoger

Galveston's record low temperature is below 32°F for every day between December 14 and February 18.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

hotdogPi

Quote from: kphoger on February 16, 2021, 11:02:56 AM
Galveston's record low temperature is below 32°F for every day between December 14 and February 18.

Two things:
1. There's a huge difference between 9° and 32°, especially on the coast.
2. 9:22 AM (the time of the OP) is about 4 hours after the coldest part of the day.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

kphoger

Quote from: 1 on February 16, 2021, 11:06:49 AM

Quote from: kphoger on February 16, 2021, 11:02:56 AM

Two things:
1. There's a huge difference between 9° and 32°, especially on the coast.
2. 9:22 AM (the time of the OP) is about 4 hours after the coldest part of the day.

Two things:

1.  Galveston is not Dallas.
2.  The low in Galveston last night was 21°F, not 9°F.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Stephane Dumas

triplemultiplex

"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Scott5114

It is pretty strange to see palm trees covered in snow like you're seeing in some images of south Texas. The thought of the Corpus Christi area getting snow is bizarre.

By the way, it got down to —7° last night in Norman. Normally the coldest it gets here is around 20°.

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Bruce

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 16, 2021, 03:22:55 PM
It is pretty strange to see palm trees covered in snow like you're seeing in some images of south Texas. The thought of the Corpus Christi area getting snow is bizarre.

Heck, we had the same in the upper left corner. For some reason, a lot of car dealerships around here have palm-like trees.

GaryV

My wife just showed me a picture from Facebook, a snowman with the Parthenon in the background.

Road Hog

DFW actually got down to -2ºF this morning, tied for the second-lowest temperature ever recorded there. All-time record is -8ºF in 1899.

ET21

This has happened before, just not in a very long time. The two years that come up I've seen are 1989 and 1899. 2011 was a close 3rd
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

CoreySamson

It got down to 15 at my house in southern Houston. Definitely haven't seen something like this before with my own eyes.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

kernals12

allniter89

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 16, 2021, 10:37:45 AM
Why not?  The only place that has never had freezing temperatures in the lower 48 states is the Florida Keys. 
In 2014 in the FL panhandle we had an ice storm that closed everything including Interstate 10 for 3 days. Miraculously we didnt lose power.
BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: allniter89 on February 17, 2021, 10:59:02 PM
In 2014 in the FL panhandle we had an ice storm that closed everything including Interstate 10 for 3 days. Miraculously we didnt lose power.

I remember, I was a Florida resident at the time.

US 89

Relating this storm back to highways:

Early on the morning of February 17, weather stations in Brownsville and McAllen, Texas reported light snow. Presumably, this means snow fell on I-2, I-69C, and I-69E ... which means snow has now fallen on every 1- and 2-digit interstate in the continental 48 US states.

bwana39

Quote from: CoreySamson on February 17, 2021, 08:00:47 PM
It got down to 15 at my house in southern Houston. Definitely haven't seen something like this before with my own eyes.

In 1958, my dad built a house in Deer Park. He and the contractor had words over the fact dad wanted the water pipes (in the attic) insulated. A year or two later, his was the only house in the subdivision without at least frozen pipes and many had broken ones. Dad was awfully smug about it. The point being that this has happened a time or two in the interim.

We moved a few years later, but that house still looks really good to eb over 60 years old.
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

ozarkman417

Highway related:

I have seen photos of Texarkana on Reddit of stateline road where the Arkansas side of the border is well-plowed, while the Texas side is covered in snow.

bwana39

Quote from: ozarkman417 on February 18, 2021, 01:30:22 AM
Highway related:

I have seen photos of Texarkana on Reddit of stateline road where the Arkansas side of the border is well-plowed, while the Texas side is covered in snow.

Ahhh the two Texarkanas. That shows how disfunctional the two are. Thirty years ago, they had a single police department and the fire departments worked together, today they barely adknowledge that they coexist. As a ruke, they don;t even return on the wrong side of Stateline except right at the Bi-state Justice Center (which in itself is much less Bi-state than it was back in the ninties.)

But I will say, Stateline Avenue is the most important N/S street for TA. It MIght fall in the top 5 for TT.  It is US-71 which is truly an Arkansas road in spite of it being partially in Texas.
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

kernals12

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 17, 2021, 11:12:25 PM

I remember, I was a Florida resident at the time.

Don't you mean Florida Man?

webny99

kphoger

Quote from: webny99 on February 18, 2021, 03:03:37 PM

Quote from: kphoger on February 18, 2021, 10:00:18 AM

In 2014

Ah yes, how quickly we forget...

[img snipped]http://darkroom.baltimoresun.com/2013/12

Forgot what year that was...

Yeah, I was searching for pictures of the February 2014 blizzard, not realizing it was actually February 2013.  That one might not even have messed up Dallas.  It messed up Kansas City, though.  Anyway, I was too lazy to remove what I had already typed in the post when I realized the date was different than what I was replying to.

I do remember a snowstorm within the last decade that basically shut Dallas down for about three days.  For some reason, I can neither remember exactly when that was nor figure it out searching on Google.  It might have been that December one, but I'm not sure.  I specifically remember the storm because I was responsible for calling customers to reschedule their Time Warner cable appointments.

Quote from: kphoger on February 21, 2013, 12:39:17 PM
Kansas has been getting dumped on recently.  My 13-minute commute to work took 40 minutes today; I arrived 15 minutes late, and I was the first one here.  My boss took a half hour just to get out of his alley.  I would have made it pretty much on time, except that they closed down I-135–while I was on it.  Fortunately, I was at at the I-235/K-96 exit and could take an alternate route–which got hairy when the flatbed wrecker in front of me got stuck at a light, and then when the pickup in front of me couldn't make it up a railroad overpass on Broadway. . . I just drove on the left side of Broadway instead for a little while.  By 9:00 this morning, our crew in Kansas City already had four stuck work trucks and one wrecked, and the rest of their work for the day has all been rescheduled.  Omaha is supposed to get hit this afternoon; with their hills, we'll see how that goes.

The owner of the company told me, "˜You did great, getting here in that minivan.'  Are you kidding?  Other than ground clearance issues (my battery connections got wet two blocks from my house), I'd much rather have a heavy front-wheel drive minivan than some RWD pickup in this stuff.  All in all, I really didn't worry about getting stuck except when I was behind vehicles that were getting stuck.

Here are two pictures from my trip to work, on the Canal Route northbound:

Above 9th Street.  Between Kellogg and about 21st Street, there were basically two lanes through the snow.

Approaching the K-96 exit.  From about 21st Street to I-235/K-254, the usable portion of the highway narrowed to about one lane (out of three or four).  At the I-235/K-254 interchange, traffic was at a total standstill; apprently there was a wreck and they closed the highway.  One of our techs was stuck waiting in traffic there for an hour on his way to work.

I tried to take a picture of some tire tracks through deeper snow, but I started to lose traction (as did the car in front of me), so I couldn't hold my hands steady enough for a decent picture.
Male pronouns, please.

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on February 18, 2021, 03:19:41 PM
Quote from: webny99 on February 18, 2021, 03:03:37 PM
Forgot what year that was...
... Anyway, I was too lazy to remove what I had already typed in the post when I realized the date was different than what I was replying to.

And now you've spent much longer explaining it than it would have taken to fix. The best kind of irony.  :-P

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.