Interstate you are the closest to clinching?

Started by TravelingBethelite, August 27, 2021, 12:39:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CtrlAltDel

Here's something else I found:

How much do you think it is?
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

DandyDan

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on August 28, 2021, 02:58:42 PM
Here's something else I found:

How much do you think it is?
I have a large chunk of I-94 traveled, assuming Dad stuck to it completely when I was 5 (which I know he didn't, because they have a pic of me in downtown Fargo) and we went to Montana. Then again, I don't know how much traveling when you are 5 should count. Going WB, I have never driven on it past MN 55, which just seems weird.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

epzik8

The Maryland iteration of I-270; I have less than four miles of it left.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

webny99

Quote from: cabiness42 on August 28, 2021, 10:24:20 AM
Quote from: SkyPesos on August 28, 2021, 10:10:47 AM
This sounds like the debate of whether using the exit and entrance ramps in an interchange instead of the through freeway would count as a clinch again...

It's more of a debate as to whether what exists beyond the I-81 ramps is a short segment of freeway followed by a separate interchange, or if it's a longer set of ramps that is a part of the same interchange.

Somewhat similar to the debate about the short segment of I-65 between I-90 and US 12/20.

In both cases, I would suggest that they are both segments of freeway based on the presence of mileage markers.

Up in Ontario, the short segment of ON 427 south of the QEW is another example.

I really can't fault anyone for requiring these segments to clinch the route - that is factually correct - but it's also so trivial that, even as a somewhat pedantic person myself, I'd still consider them clinched without said segment(s) for all practical and functional intents and purposes.

Max Rockatansky

I-605 likely given I have never driven it south of I-105. 

achilles765

Hmm. Probably I-81. I only would have the stretch from I-84 to the Canada border.
After that I dunno. Everything else I've driven or ridden on I have either clinched or only been on relatively short stretches. I have done I 95 from Boston to dc..and I 20 from ft worth to Birmingham.

For 3dis I came close to clinching 278, 395 (DC), and 635 (dfw)
I love freeways and roads in any state but Texas will always be first in my heart

paulthemapguy

I tried clinching I-59 in January 2019, just in time for the viaducts to shutdown for reconstruction in downtown Birmingham.  So I got a clinch of I-459 out of it instead.

For I-94, I'm only missing four small portions: Madison to Milwaukee, Glendive to Billings, through Detroit, and through Minneapolis.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

cpzilliacus

I-95.  Missing about 120 miles in Florida between Golden Glades (Exit 12A) and Fort Pierce (FL-70, Exit 129) because the last time I was in that part of the world, I took the Turnpike instead of I-95. 

I would like to re-clinch all of it sometime.

Also missing a fairly short section of I-81. Have all of it from the I-90 (Thruway) interchange south to I-40 in Tennessee.  Need the roughly 95 miles from the Thruway north to the Ontario border.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: paulthemapguy on August 29, 2021, 12:05:18 PM
I tried clinching I-59 in January 2019, just in time for the viaducts to shutdown for reconstruction in downtown Birmingham.  So I got a clinch of I-459 out of it instead.

For I-94, I'm only missing four small portions: Madison to Milwaukee, Glendive to Billings, through Detroit, and through Minneapolis.

For I-94, I'm missing between Minneapolis and St. Cloud because I detoured to visit the biggest ball of twine in Minnesota.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

dfilpus

For 2di, my percent clinched for I-76 (East) and I-77 are the same (98.9%).
On I-76, I am missing the Walt Whitman bridge from exit 347 in PA to exit 354 in NJ.
On I-77, I am missing from I-480 north.
For 3di, I have two with stubs left ( I-476 (PA) and I-395 (ME) ). The ramps to US 11 have been discussed already. I-395 in ME technically extends to the first road north of I-95.
For non-stubs, I am missing the Hudson River bridge on I-787 (92.61%).

Alex

Finally clinched I-90 in NY and overall, I-86 in NY, and the newest sections of I-73, I-785 and I-840 within the last two weeks. That leaves me with I-81 north of Syracuse (90 miles / 10%), sections of I-49 at Shreveport and across the AR/LA line (22 miles / 21%), and I-11 along the Boulder City bypass (12 miles / 56%).

Have all the 3-digit routes complete except for I-781 (4.37 miles).

Konza

I-88 in New York.  Just need a few miles around Oneonta where I detoured to go to Cooperstown.

I-93.  Just the segment south of I-95 through Boston.

I-24: Need the stretch from Paducah to Clarksville.. Clinched.

I-94:  Just need to cross the bridge into Canada.

I-10:  Need only the segment east of I-75.
Main Line Interstates clinched:  2, 4, 5, 8, 10, 11, 12, 14, 16, 17, 19, 20, 24, 25, 26, 27, 29, 30, 37, 39, 43, 44, 45, 55, 57, 59, 65, 68, 71, 72, 74 (IA-IL-IN-OH), 76 (OH-PA-NJ), 78, 80, 82, 86 (ID), 88 (IL)

clong

I have I-16, 22, 24, 59 and 85 clinched, but I have more mileage on I-20, 40, 64, 65, 75 and 95 that any of the clinched 2di routes.

For 3di, missing .18 miles (Seaside Fwy to N Gaffey St) of I-110 CA. Honorable mention to I-190 IL at .86 miles, I-676 PA/NJ at 1.84 miles, I-185 SC at 2.81 miles and I-710 CA at 3.05 miles.
For 2di, missing .68 miles of I-66 in DC. Honorable mention to I-97 at 7.25 miles.

Breadman17

2DI: I-79 in both PA and WV, i'm missing the portion that's between Charleston and the southern terminus of I-79's concurrency with US-19, and i'm missing the part between its northern terminus and I-90. That would be about 65-70% travelled.
I-77 in NC also, there I'm only missing a portion around charlotte because we used to take I-85 to get to greensville a long time ago instead of I-77. About 85% travelled in the state of NC alone.
I-70 in PA is definitely a contender to this, i'm only missing the section between the crystal springs exit and the Maryland border, and the portion west of I-79 in PA. Probably about 65-70%.

3DI: Interstate 376 i'm definitely close on. only missing portion from end of Beaver Valley Expressway to I-80.
I-485 I've almost gone the whole way around. About 75%
I-476 is about 50% done, pretty impressive considering it's so long for a 3di.
I-190 in Chicago I'm almost 95% done. pretty not impressive considering it's super short...
I-279 HOV (if that counts) just because it hasn't been open for so long, i haven't gone the whole way on it yet. missi ng the southernmost portion
ASU or bust!!!

SkyPesos

If we're doing interstates within a single state now, I'll nominate I-65 in KY for myself. I've been on all of I-65 in the state (in the SB direction only) except the northernmost 0.7 mile between the I-64/71 interchange and the IN border, as I entered I-65 from I-71.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: SkyPesos on August 31, 2021, 12:26:39 PM
If we're doing interstates within a single state now, I'll nominate I-65 in KY for myself. I've been on all of I-65 in the state (in the SB direction only) except the northernmost 0.7 mile between the I-64/71 interchange and the IN border, as I entered I-65 from I-71.

My closest overall is the same as my closest in one state: I-55 in IL missing from Cicero to Lakeshore.

Chris

ethanhopkin14

I drove I-40 from Knoxville, TN to Oklahoma City, OK knocking out the illusive section from Little Rock to Oklahoma City.  Now all I have left is from US-281 west of El Reno, OK to the I-27 junction in Amarillo, TX to finish off I-40 once and for all. 

JayhawkCO

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on August 31, 2021, 02:04:49 PM
I drove I-40 from Knoxville, TN to Oklahoma City, OK knocking out the illusive section from Little Rock to Oklahoma City.  Now all I have left is from US-281 west of El Reno, OK to the I-27 junction in Amarillo, TX to finish off I-40 once and for all.

I also find that spot harder to hit for my travel patterns.  When I lived in Kansas City, I took I-49/US71/I-540 down to I-40 all the time, and I've passed through Oklahoma City heading southwest, but still don't have Oklahoma City-Fort Smith and don't know anytime soon when I'll get it.

Chris

jp the roadgeek

I would have to say I-87 for a 2di.  I've traveled 302 of 333 miles; the only stretch not traveled being Thruway Exit 17-19.  I-84 and I-89 would battle it out for 2nd.  For I-84, I've traveled  all but the westernmost 53 miles from Drumore to Matamoras.  As for I-89, I've traveled up to VT Exit 12 (MP 83), which leaves 47 miles untraveled. 
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: jayhawkco on August 31, 2021, 02:06:48 PM

I also find that spot harder to hit for my travel patterns.  When I lived in Kansas City, I took I-49/US71/I-540 down to I-40 all the time, and I've passed through Oklahoma City heading southwest, but still don't have Oklahoma City-Fort Smith and don't know anytime soon when I'll get it.

Chris

I was finally able to cover that section because I wanted to steer clear of I-30 on account of it getting too close to Ida's path.  Mainly the high winds in a motorhome. 

It's been a hard one to do for a long time.  Living in Austin, TX, it's difficult to find a good reason to drive that route between Little Rock and Oklahoma City. 

Now the El Reno to Amarillo section will be even tougher.  Something about a trip that leaves Texas, then goes back into Texas sounds way out of the way and wrong.  I know I have a trip planned to Denver in February, so I just need to work in a stop along that path as to why we need to go that way.  I am already planning...…….

JayhawkCO

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on September 01, 2021, 11:41:56 AM

Chris

I was finally able to cover that section because I wanted to steer clear of I-30 on account of it getting too close to Irma's path.  Mainly the high winds in a motorhome. 

It's been a hard one to do for a long time.  Living in Austin, TX, it's difficult to find a good reason to drive that route between Little Rock and Oklahoma City. 

Now the El Reno to Amarillo section will be even tougher.  Something about a trip that leaves Texas, then goes back into Texas sounds way out of the way and wrong.  I know I have a trip planned to Denver in February, so I just need to work in a stop along that path as to why we need to go that way.  I am already planning..........

El Reno trading post when I was a kid was fun.  Not sure if it's still there.  I just always tell my wife it only takes 15 minutes longer (whether or not it actually does).

Chris

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: jayhawkco on September 01, 2021, 11:51:32 AM

Chris

I was finally able to cover that section because I wanted to steer clear of I-30 on account of it getting too close to Irma's path.  Mainly the high winds in a motorhome. 

Now the El Reno to Amarillo section will be even tougher.  Something about a trip that leaves Texas, then goes back into Texas sounds way out of the way and wrong.  I know I have a trip planned to Denver in February, so I just need to work in a stop along that path as to why we need to go that way.  I am already planning..........

El Reno trading post when I was a kid was fun.  Not sure if it's still there.  I just always tell my wife it only takes 15 minutes longer (whether or not it actually does).

Chris

I think it's the same amount of time when you ask your wife if she is ready to go, and she says "I'll be ready in five minutes"  Thirty minutes later you are still waiting.  I think that makes it a wash!

kphoger

Something about a trip that leaves Texas, then goes back into Texas sounds way out of the way and wrong.

I wonder how US-54 feels about that...   :hmmm:
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: kphoger on September 01, 2021, 11:55:02 AM
Something about a trip that leaves Texas, then goes back into Texas sounds way out of the way and wrong.

I wonder how US-54 feels about that...   :hmmm:

But US-54 doesn't have a wife asking why it left Texas then came back, in another part, to get to another place not in Texas. 

webny99

The upthread discussion of I-476 is more relevant for me now that I've started using travel mapping. So I haven't technically clinched the final 0.28 miles of I-476, but somehow, that's not the interstate I'm closest to clinching.

It's actually I-395 (ME), where I'm missing the final 0.22 miles west of I-95.
Obviously, I-476 is still much closer in percentage terms, but in terms of mileage, I-395 it is.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.