News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Signage on the Last Interchange at the End of an Interstate

Started by ethanhopkin14, February 14, 2022, 12:50:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadfro

Quote from: mrsman on February 22, 2022, 12:11:39 PM
This on-ramp for the unsigned CA-275 freeway is signed for Biz-80.  It is interesting that the E-W portion of Biz-80 has been de-emphasized on freeway signage.  For example at I-5, the freeway is only referred to as US 50.  But Biz-80 signage still exists at practically every freeway entrance from a surface street, especially on the freeway entrance signs.  (IMO the Biz-80 designation should be totally removed, but it should especially be removed on the part that coexists with US 50, especially given that the overhead signs are not in agreement with the ground level freeway entrance signs.)

This has been discussed a bit previously in a thread in Pacific Southwest: Caltrans has consciously removed references to Biz-80 on the part that overlaps US 50 in recent years (it may have been during the "Fix 50" project a few years ago). However, I'm not sure that all the side street signage was changed to reflect this. The part of Biz-80 that is separate from US 50 and is concurrent with unsigned SR 51 would take more work to have the Biz-80 designation removed–California's highway code has a specific stipulation that SR 51 be referred to as I-80 Business and/or Capital City Freeway. I certainly agree with you that the stipulation isn't really necessary nowadays, and having the freeway be signed as SR 51 instead would probably be more useful for navigation purposes.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

TheHighwayMan3561

I found one example in Minnesota of signage at the last interchange on a route being different from the route you're getting on. Getting from MN 3/Robert St onto eastbound I-494 puts you on eastbound MN 62 to get onto 494, but only 494 East is signed, not even an EAST 62/TO 494 EAST/TO US 52 (probably done to minimize confusion due to the actual I-494/Robert interchange only being a half-interchange).
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.