News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Best resturants to have in service plazas?

Started by HighwayStar, February 23, 2022, 06:04:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott5114

Quote from: Rothman on February 24, 2022, 06:33:04 PM
Five Guys > Wendy's

Even if so, I don't like a lot of toppings on my burger. I'll happily eat a burger mustard and ketchup only, or if I'm feeling fancy mayo and lettuce only. I don't usually add bacon unless I'm extremely hungry, and I don't add onions to fast food burgers because they will invariably add so many of them that I can't taste anything but onion.

Therefore, for me:
The price of Five Guys > what a Five Guys meal is actually worth
The price of Wendy's = what a Wendy's meal is actually worth
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

tolbs17

Five Guys over Wendy's for me! 5 Guys has nice burgers and what not. But they are slightly more expensive

kevinb1994

I'm all for Culver's or Five Guys myself. It was just Five Guys for awhile, especially when Smashburger went away.

dlsterner

Quote from: jmacswimmer on February 24, 2022, 03:00:51 PM
Meanwhile on the Maryland side of the DC area - The last 2 I knew of were in Silver Spring & Parole (Annapolis suburb), and I think I made it to each one once at some point in 2018.  They've both closed at some point since then, and with that there are no longer any Fuddruckers in the entire state of Maryland.

I miss the various Fuddruckers in Maryland as well.  Although, if you have an excuse to travel there, there's a few in Pennsylvania not too far away - York, Lancaster, and Chambersburg.  All three have satisfied my itch.  Also one in Ashland VA which did not impress me much.

Also disappointed that Smashburger had left the area.  The burgers were pretty good, but the Smash Tots were awesome.

(For the record, I don't make those trips just for the food; rather I incorporate it into an existing road trip)

MaddogMicharski

MaddogMicharski

Don't park your Ford in my driveway.

webny99

Quote from: HighwayStar on February 24, 2022, 05:46:48 PM

Have you ever actually been to Fuddruckers? It was truly "build your own" ie, a massive well stocked fixings bar that you put whatever you wanted, in any quantity you wanted, on your sandwich by yourself.

Five guys however knows that that is expensive, and the bean counters know that if you want x, y, z on your burger it costs less to just include that behind counter, so they can control the quantity of ingredients used very carefully and get by with less fresh ingredients. Five guys is not "build your own", and its not as good of a value proposition.

I can't remember if I've been to Fuddruckers, maybe once or twice many years ago. The only one I knew of in this area was in Buffalo, and it's permanently closed now.

In any case, I know Five Guys isn't literally build your own, but being more of a fast casual chain, it's closer to build your own than not when compared to the true fast food restaurants. You sure don't see a list of dozens of toppings to select from on Wendy's or McDonald's online ordering platform.

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

wriddle082

Quote from: Rothman on February 24, 2022, 11:57:51 PM
Quote from: MaddogMicharski on February 24, 2022, 11:22:31 PM
Roy Rogers by far
What the freak is so good about Roy Rogers? 

Indeed, I had a roast beef sandwich from them a few months ago, and they still can't touch Arby's.

But regional favorites are what I like to see in service plazas.  I like how the Mass Pike service plazas have Papa Gino's pizza, for example.  Otherwise, McD's, Taco Bell, and some form of dessert such as Baskin Robbins or Cinnabon will do just fine.

Scott5114

Quote from: wriddle082 on February 25, 2022, 12:22:13 AM
Roy Rogers by far

Indeed, I had a roast beef sandwich from them a few months ago, and they still can't touch Arby's.

But regional favorites are what I like to see in service plazas. [...] and some form of dessert [...]

This implies that every Oklahoma turnpike rest area should have a Braum's. :D
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

jeffandnicole

Why is anyone comparing Five Guys to fast food restaurants anyway? They are different leagues in terms of their food. Might as well start comparing a White Castle burger to a freshly made burger at a steakhouse.

As far as Fuddruckers goes, I never saw the sense in ordering a cheeseburger there, being that they have two different types of cheese at the condiment bar.

Rothman

Roy Rogers by far

But regional favorites are what I like to see in service plazas.  I like how the Mass Pike service plazas have Papa Gino's pizza, for example.  Otherwise, McD's, Taco Bell, and some form of dessert such as Baskin Robbins or Cinnabon will do just fine.
As someone who grew up in MA, Papa Gino's is terrible.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

epzik8

From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

1995hoo

But regional favorites are what I like to see in service plazas. ....

I care less about this issue at service plazas than I do when I stop for the night. If I'm making a long drive (most or all of the day, like from somewhere in Canada home to Virginia or from Virginia to Jacksonville), I want someplace fast and reliable for lunch, and the national fast food chains are fine for that–on the drive south to Florida, for example, we usually stop at the Arby's directly across US-52 from the I-95 off- and on-ramps near Florence, SC. (Last summer, the inside seating was closed, so we had to sit outside on the curb after going through the drive-thru.)

But when I stop for the night and want dinner, I'd rather go somewhere that's not the same thing we have at home. (I'll concede we've gone to the Longhorn Steakhouse at the JAX Airport exit several times and they're a chain, but they don't have any location that's particularly convenient to where we live, so it's not a place we ever eat except on trips.) If, of course, the drive is such that we'll keep driving after dinner–such as coming back from Toronto on two hours' notice in June 2019–then fast food it is (Wendy's in Bedford, PA, in that case).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Ted$8roadFan

I remember the Roy Rogers that used to be on the Mass. Pike service area in Charlton prior to the early-00's remodeling which removed it. Burger and fries, yes, but it was more interesting than McDonalds. 

abefroman329

Roy Rogers by far
Frankly, probably the fact that there aren't very many of them and they're concentrated in an area where I don't live.  Sonic was much less tasty once they built one ten minutes from my house.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: abefroman329 on February 25, 2022, 12:41:10 PM
Roy Rogers by far
Frankly, probably the fact that there aren't very many of them and they're concentrated in an area where I don't live.  Sonic was much less tasty once they built one ten minutes from my house.

Bingo. Service area Roy Rogers never thrilled me anyway. Always felt the food was generic for the service area. Take down the Roy Rogers signs and slap another sign up, take away the fixin's bar and have the employees put the toppings on themselves, and the rest of the food is exactly the same as nearly every other restaurant that could occupy the same spot.

Flint1979

I now remember what Roy Rogers was like and to me it's no different than a Hardee's or Carl's Jr. I was thinking it was Kenny Rogers Roasters which I did like for awhile when they were open. In fact I went to wikipedia to look Roy Rogers and Kenny Rogers Roasters up and Kenny Rogers Roasters has a picture of the former location in Saginaw I thought heck that building looks familiar.

MATraveler128

Quote from: epzik8 on February 25, 2022, 06:25:54 AM
Roy Rogers is number one.

I’ve only been to Roy Rogers once in one of the New Jersey Turnpike service plazas and I remember liking it. There used to also be one in Sturbridge, Massachusetts off I-84 where the Pilot is.

Not a restaurant, but as someone who has spent frequent time in Pennsylvania, I wish Wawa was more common, especially up my way in New England. I find myself stopping at Wawa every time I go down there for their coffee and prepared foods.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

catch22

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 25, 2022, 12:43:54 AM
Roy Rogers by far

But regional favorites are what I like to see in service plazas. [...] and some form of dessert [...]

As a frequent visitor to the in-laws in Oklahoma City from Michigan, I'm perfectly OK with that.

HighwayStar

Quote from: webny99 on February 24, 2022, 11:47:26 PM
Quote from: HighwayStar on February 24, 2022, 05:46:48 PM

Have you ever actually been to Fuddruckers? It was truly "build your own" ie, a massive well stocked fixings bar that you put whatever you wanted, in any quantity you wanted, on your sandwich by yourself.

Five guys however knows that that is expensive, and the bean counters know that if you want x, y, z on your burger it costs less to just include that behind counter, so they can control the quantity of ingredients used very carefully and get by with less fresh ingredients. Five guys is not "build your own", and its not as good of a value proposition.

I can't remember if I've been to Fuddruckers, maybe once or twice many years ago. The only one I knew of in this area was in Buffalo, and it's permanently closed now.

In any case, I know Five Guys isn't literally build your own, but being more of a fast casual chain, it's closer to build your own than not when compared to the true fast food restaurants. You sure don't see a list of dozens of toppings to select from on Wendy's or McDonald's online ordering platform.

Its really not fast casual, its fast food being sold at fast casual prices. Especially next to a Fuddruckers, which actually is fast casual, it has the look, feel, and taste of a fast food burger joint.
The long list of ingredients is a minor point, McDonald's, Burger King, Wendy's etc. all sell a line of burgers with different combinations. Whataburger closely approximates Five Guys in topping choices but at a considerably lower price point.

Then there is the price issue. The last time I went to Five Guys and Fuddruckers within a few weeks of each other in the same general area I paid $16 at Five Guys for a double burger with fixings, a large drink, and a standard size fries. I paid $17 at Fuddruckers for a 1lb burger with bottomless fries and bottomless drink. I am willing to bet Five Guys was about 2/3 of a lb of meat, no refill on the fries, and lower quality for a buck difference.
There are those who travel, and those who travel well

US 89

Quote from: catch22 on February 25, 2022, 02:08:43 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on February 25, 2022, 12:43:54 AM
Roy Rogers by far

Indeed, I had a roast beef sandwich from them a few months ago, and they still can’t touch Arby’s.

As a frequent visitor to the in-laws in Oklahoma City from Michigan, I'm perfectly OK with that.

If turnpikes had Braum's, I would absolutely make an effort to use them and deal with OTA getting more of my money. I'm still annoyed I didn't get to make a Braum's stop when I drove through Oklahoma last year. Used to go all the time when my grandparents lived in Bartlesville.

HighwayStar

Quote from: jeffandnicole on February 25, 2022, 01:38:19 AM
Why is anyone comparing Five Guys to fast food restaurants anyway? They are different leagues in terms of their food. Might as well start comparing a White Castle burger to a freshly made burger at a steakhouse.

As far as Fuddruckers goes, I never saw the sense in ordering a cheeseburger there, being that they have two different types of cheese at the condiment bar.

Yep, you don't have to pay extra that way.

HighwayStar

Roy Rogers by far

It is an interesting concept for one thing. They serve burgers, roast beef, and chicken. Its like a cross between a Wendy's, Arby's, and a KFC. In my experience the quality was always good, although like any place someone can say theirs was not and neither of us is necessarily lying.
The first time I encountered Roy Rogers I had been on the road for upwards of 2000 miles and seen enough signs for McDonald's et al. to make you dizzy. Roy Rogers? Like the cowboy and the song about the cowboy? Count me in!

dlsterner

Roy Rogers by far

It's a matter of taste.  Some people like Roy Rogers better and some people like Arby's better - and that's OK.

Personally, having dined at both chains many times, I will say that the Roy's roast beef sandwich looks like real beef sliced from a real hunk of meat, where Arby's roast beef looks to me like some kind of "loaf" that's been reconstituted.

I will also say that I consider stand-alone Roy Rogers >> service plaza Roy Rogers.

I will eat at both (especially since Arby's came to their senses and started providing Coke products), but prefer Roys.  And Arby's is more prevalent outside the MD/DC/VA area.

Rothman

That's it.  I am going to give Roy another chance and then come back here and say you're all out of your minds.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.