News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Only one stop sign? (On the right side) On an exit ramp

Started by tolbs17, February 25, 2022, 05:15:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FrCorySticha

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 25, 2022, 06:47:24 PM

If only that was true...  I really do dig solitude and 75 MPH surface highway speeds.

80(ish) on the Interstates is better. I feel like I'm crawling when driving in states with 70 MPH speed limits.

tolbs17

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 25, 2022, 06:46:35 PM
Quote from: tolbs17 on February 25, 2022, 06:43:35 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 25, 2022, 06:38:17 PM
Quote from: tolbs17 on February 25, 2022, 06:35:20 PM
Quote from: FrCorySticha on February 25, 2022, 06:20:36 PM
To duplicate stop signs at every rural exit would be an unnecessary waste of limited highway signage funds. I'd even argue that posting yield signs instead of stop signs at some of the "rural access" exits would be sufficient.
Well, this is a very rural area and it has dual stop signs.

https://goo.gl/maps/HhA2sjLkQJzffSPB9

And every other DOT should do the same because why?
To increase the visibility of seeing the stop sign.

Quote from: FrCorySticha on February 25, 2022, 06:39:50 PM
Quote from: tolbs17 on February 25, 2022, 06:35:20 PM
Quote from: FrCorySticha on February 25, 2022, 06:20:36 PM
To duplicate stop signs at every rural exit would be an unnecessary waste of limited highway signage funds. I'd even argue that posting yield signs instead of stop signs at some of the "rural access" exits would be sufficient.
Well, this is a very rural area and it has dual stop signs.

So basically you don't have a good reason other than you see it in North Carolina a lot.  How do you weigh the cost of extra signage given there is really no benefit to the traveling public.

See reply #21. It will answer your question.

Max Rockatansky

Totally doesn't, you haven't even broached explaining how the cost of extra signage is justified for what I assume is what you view as "enhanced safety."   How much of a safety enhancement do think dual stop signs is going to bring?  Have you actually bother to attempt to analyze if there is an actual safety benefit?  Have you run a cost analysis on the price of extra stop signs on every freeway exit corridor?

tolbs17

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 25, 2022, 06:56:15 PM
Totally doesn't, you haven't even broached explaining how the cost of extra signage is justified for what I assume is what you view as "enhanced safety."   How much of a safety enhancement do think dual stop signs is going to bring?  Have you actually bother to attempt to analyze if there is an actual safety benefit?  Have you run a cost analysis on the price of extra stop signs on every freeway exit corridor?
It will be more visible to the eyes if a truck or a bus is parked to the side and it will come to the point that you can't see the far right stop sign! A stop sign is $100. And for two it's $200. So that extra $100 would be wasted for just unnecessary shit? I guess so... And yes I ran a cost analysis. That would probably be trillions.

Max Rockatansky

I guess you never heard of payroll hours and installation trip costs?  Have you analyzed how many exits these installs would need to he done at so you can request a funding estimate? 

Also, where are your study results which illustrate one stop sign isn't sufficient?  Do you have actual accounts of the lack of dual stop signs on freeway exits contributing to accidents?

Given you threw out "trillions"  would it not be fair to say you shot from the hip and didn't really think this thread through as a general topic?

skluth

tolbs17

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 25, 2022, 07:06:03 PM
I guess you never heard of payroll hours and installation trip costs?  Have you analyzed how many exits these installs would need to he done at so you can request a funding estimate?
No? A installation trip cost would be around $65-$125.  Yes, there's roughly 3,000 interchanges that have stop signs.

So 4,000 x 200 = $800,000. That ain't too much to be honest.

tolbs17

Quote from: skluth on February 25, 2022, 07:08:58 PM
Seems like a personal problem to me
To have one or both stop signs at each exit ramp?

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: tolbs17 on February 25, 2022, 07:09:48 PM
No? A installation trip cost would be around $65-$125.  Yes, there's roughly 3,000 interchanges that have stop signs.

But you have to request funding for this hypothetical scenario.  Is the person/people you hypothetically going to agree with your funding justification given you can't really illustrate a benefit clearly?

Also, you're likely way low on those labor and trip estimates.  You aren't far off the cost of a 36x36 reflective stop sign for what it's worth.

tolbs17

Also, where are your study results which illustrate one stop sign isn't sufficient?  Do you have actual accounts of the lack of dual stop signs on freeway exits contributing to accidents?

Given you threw out "trillions"  would it not be fair to say you shot from the hip and didn't really think this thread through as a general topic?
http://www.trafficsign.us/signcost.html And no I don't have any accounts of the lack of dual stop signs at exits which contribute to exits. But, I have seen wrong-way crashes before. But that's off-topic

Well. maybe not trillions. It's closer to half a million.

tolbs17

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 25, 2022, 07:12:17 PM

But you have to request funding for this hypothetical scenario.  Is the person/people you hypothetically going to agree with your funding justification given you can't really illustrate a benefit clearly?
No. Not at all.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: tolbs17 on February 25, 2022, 07:12:48 PM

http://www.trafficsign.us/signcost.html And no I don't have any accounts of the lack of dual stop signs at exits which contribute to exits. But, I have seen wrong-way crashes before. But that's off-topic

One off accidents at specific locations isn't necessarily causality for taking a blanket measure.  These are the things you probably ought be considering before you come up threads like this, this isn't the fictional board.  There are a ton of DOT workers and government employees on this forum that will poke holes in financially wasteful concepts.

tolbs17

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 25, 2022, 07:17:33 PM

One off accidents at specific locations isn't necessarily causality for taking a blanket measure.  These are the things you probably ought be considering before you come up threads like this, this isn't the fictional board.  There are a ton of DOT workers and government employees on this forum that will poke holes in financially wasteful concepts.
Well, half of the DOTs agree and half don't.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: tolbs17 on February 25, 2022, 07:18:52 PM

You also haven't sampled the full set of exits you citing either.  Are you fully confident that every single exit or the majority of them in the states you are citing are dual stop signed as you say?

SkyPesos

So Utah's the furthest west state tolbs have posted a GSV link from now? Congrats for branching out of your NC bubble  :clap: :clap: :clap:

tolbs17

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 25, 2022, 07:20:40 PM

You also haven't sampled the full set of exits you citing either.  Are you fully confident that every single exit or the majority of them in the states you are citing are dual stop signed as you say?
Well, given in the states that I mentioned, Colorado, South Dakota, New Mexico, and Kansas used dual stop signed exit ramps. Most of them have them, but all of them might not. That's what I sample. I've looked at the Street View MANY times in those states and most of the exits there are dial stop signed.

tolbs17

Quote from: SkyPesos on February 25, 2022, 07:24:19 PM
So Utah's the furthest west state tolbs have posted a GSV link from now? Congrats for branching out of your NC bubble  :clap: :clap: :clap:
Yes sir, I post stuff from other states if I see something interesting from them.

hotdogPi

I tried to look in New Hampshire and Vermont for yield only but didn't find any with a quick look. Are they not rural enough?
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13,44,50
MA 22,40,107,109,117,119,126,141,159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; UK A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; FR95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New: MA 14, 123

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: tolbs17 on February 25, 2022, 07:24:38 PM

Well, given in the states that I mentioned, Colorado, South Dakota, New Mexico, and Kansas used dual stop signed exit ramps. Most of them have them, but all of them might not. That's what I sample. I've looked at the Street View MANY times in those states and most of the exits there are dial stop signed.

You gave a handful of examples, that's hardly a consensus that would qualify as an actual field survey.

Is it hard to admit that you just took the FritzOwl rationale of "I think this is needed"  and just call it a day?

tolbs17

Quote from: 1 on February 25, 2022, 07:28:25 PM
I tried to look in New Hampshire and Vermont for yield only but didn't find any with a quick look. Are they not rural enough?
Vermont is a very rural state with most residents siding in Burlington. New Hampshire...slightly different story but I don't know what you mean by "yield only".

tolbs17

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 25, 2022, 07:30:08 PM
Quote from: tolbs17 on February 25, 2022, 07:24:38 PM

You gave a handful of examples, that's hardly a consensus that would qualify as an actual field survey.

Is it hard to admit that you just took the FritzOwl rationale of "I think this is needed"  and just call it a day?
Thank you, and I guess, kind of. I'm not a FritzOwl person that wants interstates everywhere though...

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Scott5114

$125 seems really low. Oklahoma DOT workers appear to make somewhere in the $17-$19/hour range. So for a crew of, say, three people to do a four-hour job, it would be $17 × 4 × 3 = $204. (Remember, they have to be paid to go to the warehouse to pick up the sign, travel to the install location, do the install, and travel back.) And I imagine in coastal states it would be more expensive due to higher wages.

Gas for the truck is an added expense.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

rarnold

I think the OP must have a boatload of stop signs to sell and he is creating a demand for them? Or maybe a shill for the signpost lobby?

Either way, I don't see this affecting safety all that much, if at all. This would be even less impactful in the rural areas shown in the examples above.

wanderer2575

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 25, 2022, 09:19:29 PM

$125 seems really low. Oklahoma DOT workers appear to make somewhere in the $17-$19/hour range. So for a crew of, say, three people to do a four-hour job, it would be $17 × 4 × 3 = $204. (Remember, they have to be paid to go to the warehouse to pick up the sign, travel to the install location, do the install, and travel back.) And I imagine in coastal states it would be more expensive due to higher wages.

Gas for the truck is an added expense.

Don't forget the cost of the signs and posts, which is what the whole exercise is about.

tolbs17 is the Donald Trump of roads -- no credentials but he alone is the self-appointed expert on everything.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.