CP-KCS Merger | Highway Proposals

Started by edwaleni, March 05, 2022, 04:40:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

edwaleni

Several Chicago suburbs have banded together to demand several road remediation activities to offset the expected train traffic from the merger of the Canadian Pacific and the Kansas City Southern.

CPKC expects freight traffic to increase from 3 freights daily to 11 post merger, so the towns along what is commonly called the Metra - Milwaukee West Line (Union Station- Elgin) want some blood (dollars in return)

The coalition says mitigation measures should include:

–  Construction of train stations, related facilities, and track upgrades in Elgin at a cost of $5 billion to $8.9 billion. (?)

– Nine grade-separated crossings in Bensenville, Itasca, Wood Dale, and Barlett at a cost of $315 million.

– Construction of a major state highway interchange in Bensenville for $125 million.

– Safety upgrades at 20 grade crossings.

– Dozens of measures to mitigate increases in vibration, noise, and potential damage to underground utilities.

I suspect the Bensenville "major highway interchange" is IL-83 (Busse Road) and Irving Park Road.

Between Foster and Irving Park is this weird local street access which forces all of this traffic for IL-83 to traverse local neighborhoods.

I can't find how they think this intersection will work because Irving Park Road is right next to the tracks and IL-83 is bridged over.

The big banana (to me) is the intersection of Wood Dale Road and Irving Park Road over in Wood Dale. The railroad crosses at an odd angle blocking both roads.

With train lengths reaching epic proportions and upping the frequency from 3 to 11 daily, make this intersection a trouble spot.

If anyone can find any diagrams on how this will work, please post.

Revive 755

^ Wood Dale had their chance to get a grade separation for the Irving Park - Wood Dale Road intersection, but instead went with modifications to the existing intersection that were constructed a few years ago.

edwaleni

Quote from: Revive 755 on March 05, 2022, 11:28:14 PM
^ Wood Dale had their chance to get a grade separation for the Irving Park - Wood Dale Road intersection, but instead went with modifications to the existing intersection that were constructed a few years ago.

What were the reasons given for not doing the grade separation?

US20IL64

Wealthy burbs can pitch in, since e-commerce is one of the causes of increased RR traffic. Chicago city has viaducts dating to 1910's.

People buy all these little shipments of individual items, and then complain about effects on transportation.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: US20IL64 on March 07, 2022, 01:53:03 PM
These wealthy burbs can pitch in, since e-commerce is one of the causes of increased RR traffic.

I don't understand this.  What is a "wealthy burb?"  Do they use e-commerce more than non-wealthy burbs?  On a percentage basis AND and actual one?
And if that is the case, and because e-commerce has increased railroad traffic, that means that they should pay more for at-grade separations for railway crossings?  So do "wealthy burbs" get a break on gas taxes then since they aren't wearing and tearing up the road as much?

edwaleni

Quote from: US20IL64 on March 07, 2022, 01:53:03 PM
These wealthy burbs can pitch in, since e-commerce is one of the causes of increased RR traffic.

- Not all suburbs are wealthy.
- The railroads had to rise up because the city of Chicago had to ( I saw your post prior to the re-edit)
- In the case of CPKC, it will mostly be auto parts from Mexico to Michigan and Canada and farther west, shale oil to the petro coast
- Ecommerce from China will be coming into Bensenville
- A lot of agriculture will be pass through (like the oil)

From what I have seen, most suburbs (when its important to them) do pay their way when remediating railroad, otherwise they rely with their state DOT

US20IL64

Elmhurst IL built an underpass in 1977 and helped with congestion. NIMBY's shut up after it was opened and now no one can imagine it not built.

Anyway, I stand by post.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: US20IL64 on March 07, 2022, 02:12:46 PM
Elmhurst IL built an underpass in 1977 and helped with congestion. NIMBY's shut up after it was opened and now no one can imagine it not built.

Anyway, I stand by post.

If your argument is that NIMBYs shouldn't shut down these projects because it would benefit transportation around the area, I agree with you.

But if your argument is that wealthier suburbs should pay for these things because their populace buys a lot of things that the railroad carries, then...well...I have questions that you can't seem to answer.

edwaleni

Quote from: US20IL64 on March 07, 2022, 02:12:46 PM

Anyway, I stand by post.

After years of demands from Elmhurst for some kind of underpass due to backups on York Street in downtown, it was through the actions of several state and county level politicians that it was able to get the state dollars needed to get the downtown bypass built (Robert Palmer Drive). Which today is a county road.

Pate Philip - President of the Illinois Senate (Elmhurst resident)
Jack Knuepfer - President of DuPage County Board (Elmhurst resident) Also was State Rep for 40th District previously.
Phil Crane - US House of Rep. 8th District, (12th District at the time which included parts of Elmhurst) who served on the House Ways & Means

They helped Elmhurst get the needed dollars to build it after they couldn't do the whole thing themselves.

I believe Elmhurst had to enact a special tax to cover their share. FWIW: Elmhurst population declined 12% the year after it opened due to changing demographics and had to close 6 schools.

The recent modernization of the Elmhurst Metra stations with parking was paid for with a grant from Metra.

Rick Powell

This change in rail traffic is much less impactful than the CN's acquisition of the former EJ&E belt line around Chicago according to the numbers provided. CN was made to provide the majority of funding for two grade separations (US 34 and US 30) along with some other local mitigation. I can't see hundreds of millions being required for mitigation in an STB ruling here.

edwaleni

Quote from: Rick Powell on March 07, 2022, 03:52:46 PM
This change in rail traffic is much less impactful than the CN's acquisition of the former EJ&E belt line around Chicago according to the numbers provided. CN was made to provide the majority of funding for two grade separations (US 34 and US 30) along with some other local mitigation. I can't see hundreds of millions being required for mitigation in an STB ruling here.

There seems to be a variation of opinion on how much impact additional freight will have on a E-W rail line that already hosts several Metra trains per day against a N-S line (EJ&E) which had barely 6 movements a week! and no commuter service.

If you ask the mayors of Bensenville, Wood Dale, Bartlett and Hanover Park, the world will become a parking lot. There have been people trying to make parallels to the EJ&E acquisition and this one when it comes to highway remediation.

I tend to agree with you Rick, its not the same. CN runs about 6 to 8 consists a day on the EJ&E, more than the "J" ran in a week.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.