News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Farthest license plate you've seen from the jurisdiction you're in

Started by andrepoiy, March 15, 2022, 06:14:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andrepoiy

Yesterday, I came across a car plated with Northwest Territories plates in Kingston, ON.

Some of the farthest I've also seen include:

Distrito Federale, MX in Niagara Falls, ON
Morelos, MX in Toronto, ON
Yukon, CA in Sherbrooke, QC
German plates in Toronto, ON (it was a Mercedes-Benz corporate car)
I've also seen Hawaii somewhere in the lower 48

What are some of the farthest license plates you've seen?

hotdogPi

Hawaii, among plates that actually function (so excluding decorative European plates).
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Max Rockatansky

I see every state at some point during the year in California.  Sure helps that I work on a military base, there is always variety with the enlisted people.

MATraveler128

I've seen Alaska and Hawaii plates in my area before. There was even a time when I saw a Mexican plate (I forget what state) and even Puerto Rico on a trip to Mystic Seaport.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

kphoger

Arizona in Switzerland
Québéc in Coahuila
Quintana Roo in Kansas
Guam in Kansas
Germany in Colorado
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

HighwayStar

There are those who travel, and those who travel well

oscar

Commonwealth of the Northern Marianas Islands, a U.S. territory north of (but not including) Guam, which I saw somewhere in the D.C. area. The car might've belonged to CNMI's non-voting delegate in the House of Representatives, which might explain how that car got transported to the D.C. area, and also kept its CNMI plates.

I've also seen Alaska and Hawaii plates here. Maybe those states' Congresscritters, or military personnel relocated here (the military has generous relocation allowances, to help get their vehicles here along with their other belongings).

Many years ago, I saw a Sterling with plates from Guernsey (British dependency in the English Channel), at a rest area along I-70 in Colorado near Vail Pass. It sounded, from a chat with the occupants, that they were permanently relocating to the U.S., so their plates might've had to be changed out once they established residency.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Ted$8roadFan

1995hoo

I've seen a Guam plate several times here in the DC area. I regularly see Alaska and Hawaii plates. The other day I was out for a walk and a lady with a Hawaii plate stopped to let me cross the street and seemed surprised when I gave her the shaka sign.

On our most recent trip to Florida, I saw a Distrito Federal plate in Weston.

In 1982, I saw Northwest Territories and Yukon plates on the Island of Newfoundland.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kphoger

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 15, 2022, 08:51:53 PM

Was it a legit rear plate?  How long ago was that?

I ask because there hasn't been any such thing as a Distrito Federal plate since the 2015 issue.  Every issue from 2016 through early 2019 has said CDMX instead, and everything from late 2019 until today has said Ciudad de México.  Plates from 2015 and earlier really shouldn't be circulating anymore by now.
Male pronouns, please.

1995hoo

Quote from: kphoger on March 15, 2022, 09:05:11 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on March 15, 2022, 08:51:53 PM

Was it a legit rear plate?  How long ago was that?

I ask because there hasn't been any such thing as a Distrito Federal plate since the 2015 issue.  Every issue from 2016 through early 2019 has said CDMX instead, and everything from late 2019 until today has said Ciudad de México.  Plates from 2015 and earlier really shouldn't be circulating anymore by now.

I posted it on the forum. I'll follow up and edit this post when I find it. I think you may have made the same observation when I posted it.

Edited to add a quote:

Quote from: kphoger on June 02, 2021, 03:46:48 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on June 02, 2021, 01:22:48 PM
Don't see this too often in Broward County! Parked next to us last night.

I'm surprised it's still got a current registration.  That base hasn't been issued since around 2007.  I haven't seen one in years–even in Mexico.

7/8

In Ontario:
- various Mexican plates (unfortunately I forget which states)
- I think I've seen Hawaii and Alaska at least once each
- All three territories (Nunavut only once, but that's still impressive!)

I was surprised to see several Quebec plates on Vancouver Island, a lot more than Ontario plates.

kphoger

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 15, 2022, 09:07:56 PM
I posted it on the forum. I'll follow up and edit this post when I find it. I think you may have made the same observation when I posted it.

I'm guessing they're in the US on some sort of visa that allows them to drive a vehicle with an expired registration.

A lot of Mexican states allow a US-plated car's license plates to be expired, so long as the vehicle importation permit is still up to date.  On the one hand, that's convenient if your tags expire before you need to make a border run.  But on the other hand, it makes it rather dicey to drive the rest of the way, between the border and your hometown tag office, when you eventually do decide to renew.  Several other Mexican states have passed laws in the last few years requiring even US registration to be kept up to date.
Male pronouns, please.

bm7

I've seen a Hawaii plate in Alabama, over 4200 miles away from its home. The farthest Mexican plate I've seen is Jalisco.

NWI_Irish96

In Indiana I've seen plates from all 50 states. From Canada I've seen Ontario, Quebec, New Brunswick, Manitoba and BC. I know I've seen a couple from Mexico but don't remember which states.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Bruce

Hawaii is the furthest U.S. state from Washington and it's not uncommon due to the Navy's presence in my county. I've also seen quite a few non-functional European plates on imported cars.

Takumi

Hawaii. Like others, due to military presence nearby.

I did temporarily put a non-functional Japanese plate on the front of my Toyota Aristo while I was waiting for its permanent plates to come last year. The DMV only gave me one for the rear. When the Virginia plates came I had to get an adapter because Japanese plates are slightly different, though not to the degree of Euro plates.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

1995hoo

Quote from: kphoger on March 15, 2022, 09:23:23 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on March 15, 2022, 09:07:56 PM

I'm guessing they're in the US on some sort of visa that allows them to drive a vehicle with an expired registration.

A lot of Mexican states allow a US-plated car's license plates to be expired, so long as the vehicle importation permit is still up to date.  On the one hand, that's convenient if your tags expire before you need to make a border run.  But on the other hand, it makes it rather dicey to drive the rest of the way, between the border and your hometown tag office, when you eventually do decide to renew.  Several other Mexican states have passed laws in the last few years requiring even US registration to be kept up to date.

I have no idea what the circumstances were because we simply parked next to the car (a nice white Mercedes S-Class, if memory serves–may have been an E-Class, but I think it was an S), I saw the plate and did a double-take and took a picture, and then we went to the restaurant where we were meeting our relatives for dinner (Tarantella, for those who know the Weston area) and when we came out afterwards that car was gone.

The only other Mexican plate I've ever seen in the USA was about three-quarters of a mile from home stopped at a red light, but I was just far enough away that I couldn't reach which state it was.

formulanone

Bahrain in Costa Mesa, California (about 7150 nautical miles):

Mexican license plates are quite rare in Southern Florida, I probably spotted 2 or 3 in my 25 years of living down there. Whereas they are quite common in most larger cities throughout Texas and not completely uncommon along the Gulf Coast region.

SP Cook

You see a lot of distant plates near any military base, DC, and near any large private college, as military, congressional representatives and some employees, and college students are exempt from the rules about changing registration when relocation, as they are considered to be just visiting.  I have seen all of the pacific territorial plates in DC and most in the Tidewater area.  Seen a lot of different states in Hawaii as well. 

As to the Mexican plate thing, in reverse, seen several US plates in Cancun, including Michigan and Florida.  These were on late model cars driven by obviously not Hispanic people, AKA tourists.  I get the whole RV thing, but driving the family car 1000s of miles deep into Mexico is something I wouldn't do. 

1995hoo

Quote from: SP Cook on March 16, 2022, 09:34:53 AM
You see a lot of distant plates near any military base, DC, and near any large private college, as military, congressional representatives and some employees, and college students are exempt from the rules about changing registration when relocation, as they are considered to be just visiting.  I have seen all of the pacific territorial plates in DC and most in the Tidewater area.  Seen a lot of different states in Hawaii as well. 

As to the Mexican plate thing, in reverse, seen several US plates in Cancun, including Michigan and Florida.  These were on late model cars driven by obviously not Hispanic people, AKA tourists.  I get the whole RV thing, but driving the family car 1000s of miles deep into Mexico is something I wouldn't do. 

I seem to recall I once saw a Texas plate on the Island of Cozumel, I believe on a pickup. That one really surprised me. I could potentially expect to see something like that in Cancun, but the car ferry to Cozumel is a hassle. I suspect it had to be someone who was down there for several months. The distance isn't totally crazy–Google Maps says it's 1551 miles from the southern end of I-35 in Laredo to just beyond the car ferry dock in Cozumel–but, as you note, you'd want to have a compelling reason to take your US-plated vehicle that deep into Mexico.

kphoger

Quote from: SP Cook on March 16, 2022, 09:34:53 AM

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 16, 2022, 10:04:50 AM
I seem to recall I once saw a Texas plate on the Island of Cozumel, I believe on a pickup. That one really surprised me. I could potentially expect to see something like that in Cancun, but the car ferry to Cozumel is a hassle. I suspect it had to be someone who was down there for several months. The distance isn't totally crazy–Google Maps says it's 1551 miles from the southern end of I-35 in Laredo to just beyond the car ferry dock in Cozumel–but, as you note, you'd want to have a compelling reason to take your US-plated vehicle that deep into Mexico.

Most likely expats living in Mexico more or less full-time.  When it's time to renew their tags, they make a border run–which they have to do every so often anyway if they're not on a resident visa.

As for why you'd take your US vehicle in such a case instead of buying a Mexican one, well there are several reasons:

1.  Non-residents cannot register a vehicle in Mexico.  If you're living there on back-to-back tourist cards or a non-resident visa, you have no choice but to use your US-tagged car.

2.  Comparable vehicles in the USA are less expensive to buy than in Mexico, due to low taxes and tariffs.

3.  Used vehicles from the USA are much more likely to have been maintained well than those from Mexico, as preventive maintenance isn't really a thing in Mexican culture.  Therefore, buying a used vehicle in Mexico is more of a gamble.

4.  Nationalizing a US vehicle in Mexico is an expensive process that requires a customs broker.  Also, it's only an option for NAFTA-built vehicles, and only for certain model years.  If you have, say, a 2013 Toyota that was built in Japan, then it cannot be nationalized in Mexico, therefore it cannot be registered with Mexican tags.
Male pronouns, please.

DandyDan

When I lived in the Omaha area, I lived close to Offutt AFB, so I would routinely see Hawaii and Alaska. I recall seeing Guam once. After moving to Mason City, I have seen Hawaii and Alaska, but not Guam. The most surprising one, though, is one of the other tenants of my apartment complex, when he first moved in, had one for Oaxaca, Mexico.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

golden eagle

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.