News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Can anyone identify this likely Northeast toll booth?

Started by Pete from Boston, March 25, 2022, 01:10:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete from Boston

I found this photo among some pictures belonging to my dad from shortly before he shipped out to Korea in 1953. It's almost definitely somewhere in the Northeast, and based on accompanying photos likely somewhere between New York and Washington. Anyone care to speculate where?

froggie

Looks like a bridge downstream from the toll booth that curves to the left.  Could be a clue.

1995hoo

It's almost certainly not the New Jersey Turnpike based on overall appearance. It can't be I-95 in Maryland or the Delaware Turnpike based on the time period you cited, and while the first span of the Delaware Memorial Bridge opened in 1951, it seems pretty clear that's not it for several reasons. It can't be the Baltimore Beltway's Key Bridge because that wasn't built until the 1970s.

What other tolled facilities were there at that time period that would have involved some sort of bridge crossing?
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Mapmikey

Pete from Boston

froggie

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.