News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Fairbanks, Alaska &c., November 2011

Started by 6a, November 09, 2011, 09:36:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

6a

Olnes and only by halah1.geo, on Flickr

I've been to Fairbanks before in the summer (sister in law lives there) and I told myself I would go back in the winter to see the aurora.  Lifelong dream, and all that.  Well, I went back in the winter...and it was cloudy every fucking night.  I did, however, get a couple days with just me and the rental car to go roadgeeking about the Fairbanks North Star Borough.  Admittedly there aren't that many roads :biggrin: but that isn't the point here for crying out loud, it's Alaska.

The roads

The scenery

Gentlemen of the forum, you are welcome to use any pictures you wish

Zmapper

I have to wonder how much that one person paid in taxes last year and how much that sign costs.  :hmmm:

xonhulu

It (the sign) has been there for years.  I saw it back in the mid-90's.

Zmapper

Remember folks, if he (or she) ever decided to get married and have kids, it would be the fastest growing town in the states.  :-P

Alps

See that plow? That's what happens when your state has a surplus. You can afford those things.

Brandon

Quote from: Steve on November 10, 2011, 10:50:48 PM
See that plow? That's what happens when your state has a surplus. You can afford those things.

Nah.  That's just being smart enough to repurpose a grader for snow plow duty.  It's done around here, and we even re-use our garbage trucks for snow plow duty.  Throw a plow blade on the front and go.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

oscar

Quote from: Brandon on November 11, 2011, 07:25:22 AM
Quote from: Steve on November 10, 2011, 10:50:48 PM

Nah.  That's just being smart enough to repurpose a grader for snow plow duty.  It's done around here, and we even re-use our garbage trucks for snow plow duty.  Throw a plow blade on the front and go.

And with a lot of unpaved roads (including some state highways) in the Fairbanks region, you need lots of graders around to smooth out frost/permafrost heaves and other road damage.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

xcellntbuy

I particularly like the last sign cautioning about a jet blast area.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.