News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Super Bowl XLVI

Started by Roadmaestro95, January 22, 2012, 11:17:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who's going to win? Pats or Giants?

New York Giants
New England Patriots
Both Lose

Alps

Quote from: Roadmaestro95 on February 04, 2012, 09:39:29 AM
This game is nothing like four years ago. However, it will finally make all the Jet fans (who are rooting for the PATRIOTS)
???? Only an idiot Giants fan would think that. (And the name calling stops here.)

kurumi

It sucks that Gronkowski won't be 100% for the game; hopefully he'll still be a factor. Go Pats.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Roadmaestro95

Quote from: Steve on February 04, 2012, 09:54:38 AM
Quote from: Roadmaestro95 on February 04, 2012, 09:39:29 AM
This game is nothing like four years ago. However, it will finally make all the Jet fans (who are rooting for the PATRIOTS)
???? Only an idiot Giants fan would think that. (And the name calling stops here.)
Actually no...its been like that around at my school...I don't understand it either
Hope everyone is safe!

tdindy88

I've been around Downtown Indianapolis the last few days and it has been completely crazy out there with positive reviews by mostly everyone about Indianapolis (other than the obligatory there's no beaches or mountains or pretty scenery and its cold, if you call 50 degrees cold.) As for in the city, nearly everyone has become Giants fan which is odd since the Patriots are the home team. This may be one of the few times where the home team gets more boos at a game than the "away" team. I wonder if there has been another instance where the people of the host city were so one-sided as to which team they support.

drrosenrosen

Quote from: tdindy88 on February 04, 2012, 03:29:06 PM
As for in the city, nearly everyone has become Giants fan which is odd since the Patriots are the home team. This may be one of the few times where the home team gets more boos at a game than the "away" team. I wonder if there has been another instance where the people of the host city were so one-sided as to which team they support.

I don't think the team designated the "home" team in the Super Bowl matters a bit.  The "visitor" gets to call the coin flip and "home" gets their choice of jersey color, but otherwise, it's irrelevant.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Bowl#Home_team_designation

The "visitor" record in the game is slightly better than "home", at 25-20.

Alps

I wonder if there has been another instance where the people of the host city were so one-sided as to which team they support.
Ever seen the Yankees play in Tampa Bay?

Zmapper

I couldn't care less about the actual game except for the fourth quarter, but I did want to see the commercials. One that really impressed me was the "Clint Eastwood: Halftime in America" commercial by Chrysler.

It appears America has finally progressed from morning to halftime.  ;-)

corco

Yep, that commercial was the only reason I watched any part of the Super Bowl. Totally worth it- Chrysler definitely knows how to pull the right heart strings

Alps

My favorite was the Toyota "reinvented" commercial. I absolutely agreed with every concept they had.

Roadmaestro95

Did anyone notice MIA flip off America? Or no one gave a damn about that half time show...I sadly suffered through it. Where's U2?
Hope everyone is safe!

SSOWorld

yep.  I noticed it - I also noticed NBC "whiffed" on trying to censor it.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

1995hoo

Quote from: Roadmaestro95 on February 06, 2012, 04:22:48 AM
Did anyone notice MIA flip off America? Or no one gave a damn about that half time show...I sadly suffered through it. Where's U2?

That halftime show left my ears feeling "Like a Virgin": Bloody and sore.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Takumi

Sounds like I missed a pretty good game. Ah well, 3 weeks until Daytona.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

PAHighways

I liked the NFL Evolution commercial showing the league morphing through the decades.

Henry

I missed the game, but just read that the Giants had won. I really wasn't rooting for either anyway, so you can count me among the ever-growing "who cares?" crowd.

BTW, any chance you saw the controversial post-apocalyptic Chevy truck commercial that Ford wanted taken off the air?
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

1995hoo

Quote from: Henry on February 06, 2012, 12:14:32 PM
I missed the game, but just read that the Giants had won. I really wasn't rooting for either anyway, so you can count me among the ever-growing "who cares?" crowd.

BTW, any chance you saw the controversial post-apocalyptic Chevy truck commercial that Ford wanted taken off the air?

Much ado about nothing by Ford. I wondered if Hostess chipped in for the cost of the ad because Twinkies were prominent.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

rawmustard

Quote from: 1995hoo on February 06, 2012, 02:50:47 PM
Much ado about nothing by Ford. I wondered if Hostess chipped in for the cost of the ad because Twinkies were prominent.

It seems like there were quite a few cross-promotions. The GE ad which explained they built the turbines which generated the power to produce Budweiser was prominent among them.

mgk920

Quote from: Steve on February 05, 2012, 04:09:01 PM
I wonder if there has been another instance where the people of the host city were so one-sided as to which team they support.

Or the Packers play at Tampa Bay?  For the last few years when they were in the same division as the Packers, the Buccaneers even went as far as to require that anyone who bought a seat to their annual home game vs Green Bay also buy a seat to a pre-season game, this to cut down on the number of Packer fans who were by then making up about 3/4 of the fans in the stadium.

Anyways, as for SB XLVI, that was absolutely *HORRIBLE* clock management on the part of the Giants in the last two minutes of the game!  If I were the Giants' brain trust, I would have started taking knees after that play that got them that first down on the 12 or 13 and then try that point-blank field goal to win the game with 3 seconds left.  That TD play with one minute left and one of the league's best two-minute guys as QB of the Patriots?  INEXCUSABLE!

The Giants were very LUCKY to have won it!

Mike

mgk920

Quote from: PAHighways on February 06, 2012, 11:38:34 AM
I liked the NFL Evolution commercial showing the league morphing through the decades.

I liked that ad, too.

BTW, that running back wearing number 3 was Tony Canadeo ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Canadeo ), one of the greats in the history of the Green Bay Packers and one of the team's five retired numbers, the others being 14 (Don Hutson), 15 (Bart Starr), 66 (Ray Nitshcke) and 92 (Reggie White).

Mike

texaskdog

Quote from: mgk920 on February 07, 2012, 01:35:41 PM
Quote from: Steve on February 05, 2012, 04:09:01 PM

Or the Packers play at Tampa Bay?  For the last few years when they were in the same division as the Packers, the Buccaneers even went as far as to require that anyone who bought a seat to their annual home game vs Green Bay also buy a seat to a pre-season game, this to cut down on the number of Packer fans who were by then making up about 3/4 of the fans in the stadium.

Anyways, as for SB XLVI, that was absolutely *HORRIBLE* clock management on the part of the Giants in the last two minutes of the game!  If I were the Giants' brain trust, I would have started taking knees after that play that got them that first down on the 12 or 13 and then try that point-blank field goal to win the game with 3 seconds left.  That TD play with one minute left and one of the league's best two-minute guys as QB of the Patriots?  INEXCUSABLE!

Mike

Call them lucky all you want as long as you call them winners!

Shout out to Jason Garret for icing his own kicker to help make it happen

Beltway

Quote from: mgk920 on February 07, 2012, 01:35:41 PM
Or the Packers play at Tampa Bay?  For the last few years when they were in the same division as the Packers, the Buccaneers even went as far as to require that anyone who bought a seat to their annual home game vs Green Bay also buy a seat to a pre-season game, this to cut down on the number of Packer fans who were by then making up about 3/4 of the fans in the stadium.

Anyways, as for SB XLVI, that was absolutely *HORRIBLE* clock management on the part of the Giants in the last two minutes of the game!  If I were the Giants' brain trust, I would have started taking knees after that play that got them that first down on the 12 or 13 and then try that point-blank field goal to win the game with 3 seconds left.  That TD play with one minute left and one of the league's best two-minute guys as QB of the Patriots?  INEXCUSABLE!
Mike

Point blank last second field goals can be missed ... see Packers in NFC championship game.

Patriots were lucky they didn't get beat worse ... they gave up a safety on their first play from scrimmage, and they kicked off to the Giants, who then made it 9-0.   12 minutes into the game the Pats had only that one play from scrimmage.  Very bad way to start a Super Bowl!
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

english si

Giants wanted to stop inches from the line, giving them time for two downs to try and score - it's not the team's poor time management, it's the guy who fell over's fault alone. Pats let the guy have a clean run (in a surprising move!), and then tried to push him over the line (though they didn't get there before he fell over) on that down, but they would surely make it incredibly difficult if there wasn't enough time to get back to the other end?

I know it was a mistake from their plan, and could have cost them the game if the Pats' Hail Mary play at the end had worked, but how much more would they have kicked themselves if they did stop to make it 3rd and inches, and then didn't score then - maybe losing yardage, and then not getting the last second kick on the 4th down? It's certainly not the case that they would have scored - they reckoned (and rightly so) that it was more likely.that they would score than the Pats would get to the other end and score in the time remaining (and the Pats made the same call - they would have had next-to-no chance with under 30 seconds). However when faced with a certain chance to go 5 points up, with the odds of the other team scoring in 57 seconds still low, its a much more difficult choice than a few seconds before. The odds were still against the Pats coming back, so it wasn't lucky that the Giants won it, despite their mistake - it would have been lucky for the Pats to win it with 57 seconds to get from one end of the field to the other and successfully pull off a Hail Mary play (which after all are considered "chuck it and pray" plays that rarely come off).

formulanone

Quote from: Beltway on February 07, 2012, 02:57:24 PM
Point blank last second field goals can be missed ... see Packers in NFC championship game.

Which is why it's so utterly annoying to hear all the post-game bloviating...how is Bradshaw not going for six points, and forcing the other team to score a TD not a better strategy? Especially when everyone forgot that the Ravens were a chip shot away from sending the AFC championship game away into OT? Or that half-centimeter that changed the trajectory of a wayward bounce during a landed punt in the NFC championship game?

Seriously, I think the talking heads of sports media have blown the minutiae of the game out of proportion at times, citing small-ball stuff like the A's SaberMetrics...a team that hasn't exactly participated in a World Series in 20+ years.

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: Zmapper on February 05, 2012, 10:11:21 PM
I couldn't care less about the actual game except for the fourth quarter, but I did want to see the commercials. One that really impressed me was the "Clint Eastwood: Halftime in America" commercial by Chrysler.

It appears America has finally progressed from morning to halftime.  ;-)

Yeah! :clap:

And it wasn't the only very good commercial then I liked, here 2 other ones then I enjoyed. Apologies to Ford fans on the forum for posting the 2nd ad.  :paranoid:

Beltway

Quote from: formulanone on February 07, 2012, 04:44:25 PM
Quote from: Beltway on February 07, 2012, 02:57:24 PM

Which is why it's so utterly annoying to hear all the post-game bloviating...how is Bradshaw not going for six points, and forcing the other team to score a TD not a better strategy? Especially when everyone forgot that the Ravens were a chip shot away from sending the AFC championship game away into OT? Or that half-centimeter that changed the trajectory of a wayward bounce during a landed punt in the NFC championship game?

Seriously, I think the talking heads of sports media have blown the minutiae of the game out of proportion at times, citing small-ball stuff like the A's SaberMetrics...a team that hasn't exactly participated in a World Series in 20+ years.

Plus Brady showed obvious signs of injury after an earlier sack, and had been nowhere near as effective in passing as before that in the game.  Definitively would have been challenging for him to score a TD in 57 seconds with only one timeout.  If he had 2:00, it would have been more feasible.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.