News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

North Carolina

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 11:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mapmikey

Quote from: Thing 342 on December 28, 2014, 10:45:21 PM

I believe (though someone else will probably correct me on this) that the VA-48 designation is used for describing the right-of-way around the BRP and Skyline Drive that the NPS maintains, as all references to it in CTB notes are related to land transactions. 

This is correct...

Here is the 1957 route log:

Mapmikey

Henry

Deja vu in the Queen City, as its unlit freeways are the subject of a news headline once again...
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2015/01/02/5420568/dozens-of-burned-out-street-lights.html#.VKcUJGfQcdU
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

WashuOtaku

Quote from: Henry on January 02, 2015, 05:00:26 PM
Deja vu in the Queen City, as its unlit freeways are the subject of a news headline once again...
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2015/01/02/5420568/dozens-of-burned-out-street-lights.html#.VKcUJGfQcdU

Yea, they fixed all the interstate lights just before the Democratic Convention a few years ago.  As expected, the maintenance hasn't kept up since; part of the problem though is the system is pretty out-dated and the whole system should be re-wired.

Third Strike

NCDOT is "confident" construction on the long awaited Monroe Bypass will start this Spring, and end in 2018. It'd be interesting if this project is not halted by more lawsuits, like the one currently from the Southern Environmental Law Center.

http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/story/27775757/dot-says-its-confident-monroe-bypass-begins-this-spring

wdcrft63

New I-495 signage at the interchange with I-440.
http://ow.ly/i/8spyd

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

WashuOtaku

Quote from: NE2 on January 30, 2015, 08:31:25 PM
North?

Why are you surprised its north-south?   :confused:  Rocky Mount is northwest of Raleigh.

bob7374

Speaking of NCDOT posted photos, anyone have information about this one, posted about 3 months ago?

from http://ow.ly/i/7p3ce

WashuOtaku

Quote from: bob7374 on January 30, 2015, 11:27:04 PM
Speaking of NCDOT posted photos, anyone have information about this one, posted about 3 months ago?

You talking about the signs used for the run on I-485?  That's long gone and I'm sure the signs are either in the trash or kept as a collector item.

NE2

Quote from: WashuOtaku on January 30, 2015, 11:08:08 PM
North?

Why are you surprised its north-south?   :confused:  Rocky Mount is northwest of Raleigh.
East-northeast.

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

wdcrft63

Plus the road (495/64) connects Raleigh to I-95 North, so it carries plenty of northbound traffic.

WashuOtaku

Quote from: NE2 on January 31, 2015, 08:25:32 AM
Quote from: WashuOtaku on January 30, 2015, 11:08:08 PM
North?

East-northeast.

Opps, sometimes I get my northwest and northeast mixed-up.  Regardless, it's still going in a northerly direction, similar to I-85 in the state.

NE2

It's more east than north. I suppose as a connection to I-95 north makes sense.

WashuOtaku

Quote from: NE2 on January 31, 2015, 10:15:01 AM
It's more east than north. I suppose as a connection to I-95 north makes sense.

Generally, people that take that route continue north into Virginia from Raleigh and vice-versa.  To go south on I-95, they would take I-40.

NE2

So I-40 should be signed south. And I-40 west should be signed south, since it's the route to I-85 south. But wait, I-495 will be the route to US 58 east, so it and I-95 should be east.

WashuOtaku

Quote from: NE2 on January 31, 2015, 07:32:36 PM
So I-40 should be signed south. And I-40 west should be signed south, since it's the route to I-85 south. But wait, I-495 will be the route to US 58 east, so it and I-95 should be east.

I-495 is not be the route to US 58 east, the road continues as US 64 east to the Outer Banks.  There is no future interstate "planned" between Raleigh and Virginia Beach; and if there was, it wouldn't be a super long 3di.

NE2

I-495 is not be[sic] the route to I-95 north,[sic] the road continues as US 64 east to the Outer Banks.

froggie

QuoteThere is no future interstate "planned" between Raleigh and Virginia Beach

Some business boosters and even the Governor's transportation plan argue otherwise...

As I recall, we had this discussion/argument about north-south vs east-west for I-495 when the number was first announced.  Though I disagree with the decision to sign it north-south (there is no requirement that 3dis be signed the same directions as their parent), I can understand it.  There would be confusion regardless of whether it's signed east-west or north-south.

roadman65

Considering that I-495 is a spur of its parent it should be East- West.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

WashuOtaku

Quote from: froggie on February 01, 2015, 03:28:55 PM
QuoteThere is no future interstate "planned" between Raleigh and Virginia Beach

Some business boosters and even the Governor's transportation plan argue otherwise...

As I recall, we had this discussion/argument about north-south vs east-west for I-495 when the number was first announced.  Though I disagree with the decision to sign it north-south (there is no requirement that 3dis be signed the same directions as their parent), I can understand it.  There would be confusion regardless of whether it's signed east-west or north-south.

There is talk about an interstate, but that it is... talk.  A decade ago there was talk of extending I-20 to Wilmington that went no where; there was talk of I-99 along US 17, which has also gone no where.  What I am saying is that NCDOT has no immediate plans to build an interstate between the two cities is all.  In the future that may change, but at the moment it's simply a proposal.

WashuOtaku

Quote from: roadman65 on February 01, 2015, 03:31:38 PM
Considering that I-495 is a spur of its parent it should be East- West.

Why should it be east-west?

Mapmikey

NCDOT's website has added three more county atlas books to their historical collection:

1980, 1990, and 1999-2000

All can be downloaded here (scroll to very bottom) - http://www.ncdot.gov/travel/statemapping/default.html#county_maps

Mapmikey

bob7374

Quote from: Mapmikey on February 11, 2015, 01:24:28 PM
NCDOT's website has added three more county atlas books to their historical collection:

1980, 1990, and 1999-2000

All can be downloaded here (scroll to very bottom) - http://www.ncdot.gov/travel/statemapping/default.html#county_maps

Mapmikey
Thanks. Speaking of maps, anyone heard when, or if, there will be a new NC state map? The NCDOT website still proudly proclaims that the new 2013-2014 map is now available.

Mileage Mike

Quote from: Third Strike on December 05, 2014, 07:03:10 PM
Looks like the Charlotte region is going to have some pretty big projects going on in the next ten years (mostly funded by toll roads). They are:

I-77 South. The road will be widen by four toll lanes, along with replacing most of the bridges for the needed ROW. Construction is slated to start around 2024.

I-85 in Rowan County and in Gaston County. The road will be widened to eight lane highway between Lane Street and US 29/US 601 Connector in Rowan County, and as well in Gaston County between US 321 and NC 273. This will make I-85 an eight lane highway through much of the metro Charlotte area, and will also make the road consistently eight/six lanes between Gastonia to Hillsborough.

I-485 in South Charlotte. The remainder of the road between Rea Road and US 74 will be widened to a total of eight lanes, with two of those lanes being toll lanes. This project will also add toll lanes to the existing section of I-485 that was just widened (the two lanes are currently being used as a large shoulder), and adding two lanes for tolls between US 521 and Rea Road. Construction could start as soon as 2018.

US 74 in Southeast Charlotte. The road will be converted to a controlled access highway, and the major intersections will be grade separated for over/underpasses. The two inner lanes will be used as toll/express bus lanes. Construction is slated to start around 2022, though conversion of the existing busway to reversible toll lanes, from Uptown Charlotte to NC-24/27, could start as soon as 2017.

Any source on the I-77 widening?  Four toll lanes so expanded to 5 total lanes on each side?  If so that's very impressive and should be sufficient capacity for the next 30-40 years at least.

Third Strike

Quote from: Cemajr on February 17, 2015, 09:27:39 AM
Quote from: Third Strike on December 05, 2014, 07:03:10 PM
Looks like the Charlotte region is going to have some pretty big projects going on in the next ten years (mostly funded by toll roads). They are:

I-77 South. The road will be widen by four toll lanes, along with replacing most of the bridges for the needed ROW. Construction is slated to start around 2024.

I-85 in Rowan County and in Gaston County. The road will be widened to eight lane highway between Lane Street and US 29/US 601 Connector in Rowan County, and as well in Gaston County between US 321 and NC 273. This will make I-85 an eight lane highway through much of the metro Charlotte area, and will also make the road consistently eight/six lanes between Gastonia to Hillsborough.

I-485 in South Charlotte. The remainder of the road between Rea Road and US 74 will be widened to a total of eight lanes, with two of those lanes being toll lanes. This project will also add toll lanes to the existing section of I-485 that was just widened (the two lanes are currently being used as a large shoulder), and adding two lanes for tolls between US 521 and Rea Road. Construction could start as soon as 2018.

US 74 in Southeast Charlotte. The road will be converted to a controlled access highway, and the major intersections will be grade separated for over/underpasses. The two inner lanes will be used as toll/express bus lanes. Construction is slated to start around 2022, though conversion of the existing busway to reversible toll lanes, from Uptown Charlotte to NC-24/27, could start as soon as 2017.

Any source on the I-77 widening?  Four toll lanes so expanded to 5 total lanes on each side?  If so that's very impressive and should be sufficient capacity for the next 30-40 years at least.

There's an interactive map towards the bottom, that gives some info on the project:
http://www.ncdot.gov/strategictransportationinvestments/

More info can be found in this excel document. The project is broken up into several different pieces:
https://connect.ncdot.gov/projects/planning/STIData/Highway_STI_Data.xlsm

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.