News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

PA Turnpike News

Started by mightyace, February 16, 2009, 05:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpzilliacus

Quote from: MASTERNC on May 04, 2021, 08:43:55 PM
Some good news here

Pennsylvania Turnpike adds nearly $200 million to capital spending as commercial traffic returns

This includes resumption of widening projects and the removal of toll plazas (starting in NE PA).  If the Legislature follows through with reducing the annual transit payments, the work will expand to interchange reconfiguration.

Reducing the transit subsidy payments from the Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission to PennDOT as mandated by Act 44 and then Act 89 is already on schedule to happen.  But that is not likely to cause tolls to go down nor the amount of money for turnpike improvements to go up that much.  That's because the Turnpike Commission did not have cash on hand to make those transit subsidy payments, but sold bonds secured by future toll revenues to come up with the cash.  Those bonds have billions of dollars in principal outstanding and will be slowly paid-down over the coming decades.  Until the bonds are paid-off, the burden of the transit subsidy payments will remain on the PTC and its patrons.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

tylert120

First look at new Southern Beltway toll road to connect I-79 to PIT via WPXI

I find it hard to believe PTC still does not have toll rates set.

https://www.wpxi.com/news/top-stories/first-look-new-southern-beltway-toll-road-connect-i79-pit/ZIV4PJYYMBDMXD5KQYKNFGEFJA

MASTERNC

Quote from: tylert120 on May 14, 2021, 12:46:19 PM
First look at new Southern Beltway toll road to connect I-79 to PIT via WPXI

I find it hard to believe PTC still does not have toll rates set.

https://www.wpxi.com/news/top-stories/first-look-new-southern-beltway-toll-road-connect-i79-pit/ZIV4PJYYMBDMXD5KQYKNFGEFJA

I wonder if they will have an "open house" like they did for the first section, where you can walk or bike on the new roadway.

Bitmapped

I was on the Uniontown-Brownsville part of the Mon-Fayette Expressway yesterday. The mainline toll plaza in this stretch was built with high-speed E-ZPass lanes. Even after to AET, they had kept the toll booths open but no longer. The exit to them is now blocked off with cones and they have taken down the overhead signs for the plazas.

MASTERNC

Might be venturing somewhat off topic, but the Post-Gazette examined the "secrecy" of many of the Commission's meetings.

https://newsinteractive.post-gazette.com/pennsylvania-turnpike-commission-sunshine-act-layoffs-gramian-lieberman-transparency/

jemacedo9

I noticed today, on PA 63 west, the BPS (Big Purple Signs) for E-Z Pass Only at the slip on-ramp have been replaced with regular BGS and with both the E-Z Pass and Toll-By-Plate logos.

I was on I-476 northbound last weekend, and nothing had changed in terms of how Exits 31A and 31B are signed.

Roadsguy

Quote from: jemacedo9 on May 16, 2021, 05:32:04 PM
I noticed today, on PA 63 west, the BPS (Big Purple Signs) for E-Z Pass Only at the slip on-ramp have been replaced with regular BGS and with both the E-Z Pass and Toll-By-Plate logos.

I was on I-476 northbound last weekend, and nothing had changed in terms of how Exits 31A and 31B are signed.

Additionally, both the Lansdale and Quakertown exits now have the permanent "E-ZPass or Toll-By-Plate only" BGSes on the entrances to the toll plazas from their respective local roads. I don't know about further up on the Northeast Extension, but I haven't seen any interchange on the mainline with these signs yet. I only regularly drive it east of Harrisburg West, though, and there may be some in the Philly area that have them that I haven't seen yet.

Weirdly, Valley Forge is the only toll plaza I've seen since the AET conversion (mainline or NE Ext) where the signs over each lane are still up, though all have been changed to the old standard "E-ZPass Only" signs and none say cash or tickets. I was just through this toll plaza yesterday and can confirm that the signs are still up in both directions.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

MASTERNC

Quote from: Roadsguy on May 17, 2021, 11:41:00 AM
Quote from: jemacedo9 on May 16, 2021, 05:32:04 PM

Additionally, both the Lansdale and Quakertown exits now have the permanent "E-ZPass or Toll-By-Plate only" BGSes on the entrances to the toll plazas from their respective local roads. I don't know about further up on the Northeast Extension, but I haven't seen any interchange on the mainline with these signs yet. I only regularly drive it east of Harrisburg West, though, and there may be some in the Philly area that have them that I haven't seen yet.

Weirdly, Valley Forge is the only toll plaza I've seen since the AET conversion (mainline or NE Ext) where the signs over each lane are still up, though all have been changed to the old standard "E-ZPass Only" signs and none say cash or tickets. I was just through this toll plaza yesterday and can confirm that the signs are still up in both directions.

Lehigh Valley has the permanent signage, as does Mid-County (southbound).  Oddly, there is a separate "E-ZPass or Toll By Plate" sign at the entrance to the Turnpike in Carlisle that I saw in a video.  It is next to the Turnpike trailblazer at the gore point of the ramp to the toll plaza.

jmacswimmer

Quote from: MASTERNC on May 17, 2021, 02:50:57 PM
Lehigh Valley has the permanent signage, as does Mid-County (southbound).  Oddly, there is a separate "E-ZPass or Toll By Plate" sign at the entrance to the Turnpike in Carlisle that I saw in a video.  It is next to the Turnpike trailblazer at the gore point of the ramp to the toll plaza.

Something like this? (From Clarks Summit - this one presumably has been around longer since Keyser Ave & Clarks Summit went cashless in April 2018.)
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

MASTERNC

Quote from: jmacswimmer on May 18, 2021, 10:01:33 AM

Something like this? (From Clarks Summit - this one presumably has been around longer since Keyser Ave & Clarks Summit went cashless in April 2018.)

That's it.  It's definitely an afterthought and easy to miss.  Something like Maryland that has a BGS with "E-ZPass" and "No Cash" on it might be clearer.

https://goo.gl/maps/CjuVBNDHcM7iXkmf6

jemacedo9

Quote from: MASTERNC on May 18, 2021, 03:40:31 PM

That's it.  It's definitely an afterthought and easy to miss.  Something like Maryland that has a BGS with "E-ZPass" and "No Cash" on it might be clearer.

Except that the MD sign is EZPass only.  Whereas the PA Turnpike is no longer EZPass only...

MASTERNC

Quote from: jemacedo9 on May 18, 2021, 03:50:23 PM

Except that the MD sign is EZPass only.  Whereas the PA Turnpike is no longer EZPass only...

They're using the same format for AET signage.  I tried to look for the one installed at the Hatem Bridge like that but GSV went through before AET was activated.

storm2k

This MdTA assembly is more in line with "official" MUTCD signage for these sorts of roadways. I do also believe that the forthcoming edition of the MUTCD is going to include better guidance on handling how to sign AET situations like the PATP is now since that is becoming more common.

ekt8750

Drove through Mid County today and they're prepping to take down the toll gantry. All of the non-EZPass Express lanes are blocked off and they're erecting transponder/plate scanners over those lanes.

MASTERNC

Quote from: ekt8750 on May 19, 2021, 08:18:08 PM
Drove through Mid County today and they're prepping to take down the toll gantry. All of the non-EZPass Express lanes are blocked off and they're erecting transponder/plate scanners over those lanes.

Good.  Hoping they restore the third lane through the tolls, and get rid of those rumble strips from the old toll plaza that are still there for the SB Express lanes.

PHLBOS

Quote from: Bitmapped on May 11, 2021, 09:40:48 PM
One minor thing I noticed - this part of the Mon-Fayette had a complete sign replacement around 2018 using FHWA alphabet. The new signs are using Clearview.
Par for the course.  Both the PTC & PennDOT have since started reusing Clearview on their newer signs since the Interim Approval was reinstated a few years ago.

Quote from: ekt8750 on May 19, 2021, 08:18:08 PM
I've been by there several times in the last 2 months & noticed that the new pull-thorough BGS' for I-476 southbound feature the reverse-order of its two control cities vs. what's on the earlier-installed approach & diagrammatic signs.  Chester/Philadelphia as opposed to Philadelphia/Chester.
:rolleyes: Hooray for consistency!  *dripping with sarcasm*

It appears that whoever signed it looked only at the older 90s-vintage pre-E-ZPass express signs, from old photos, that were there rather than review the newer ones erected further north. 
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Crown Victoria

The PTC has posted its 2022 Capital Plan. Some highlights:

-The next segment of the NE Extension reconstruction begins later this year, up to the Quakertown interchange.
-Looks like this year is the last you'll get to see the New Baltimore church steps, as reconstruction starts there next year.
-The Cashless Tolling Conversion appears to be fully funded
-Around mid-decade we get the Beaver River Bridge replacement and the new Lafayette Street interchange in Norristown, as well as reconstruction between the Downingtown and PA 29 interchanges.
-The Allegheny Mountain Tunnel replacement and Delaware River Bridge replacements occur toward the end of the decade, as does the Scranton Beltway.

Curiously, the reconstruction between PA 29 and Valley Forge appears unfunded despite being shown on the PTC site as starting later this year.

https://www.paturnpike.com/pdfs/business/FY22_Captial_Plan.pdf

MASTERNC

Looks like signage around the E-ZPass slip ramps is changing.  The 2 mile advance sign for the Street Road exit no longer says E-ZPass ONLY (the 1 mile sign still does).  The toll plaza is also no longer listed on the BGS listing the exits around Bensalem.

The Virginia Drive BGS signage also no longer references E-ZPass.

MASTERNC

The E-ZPass Only signage has been removed at the entrance from PA 29 in Malvern (one sign remains but the foundation for a new sign is ready).  On the Turnpike, the advance BGS still say E-ZPass ONLY but the same note has been removed from the distance sign after the Downingtown interchange (though the text now says "SR 29" next to the SR 29 shield).

I also noticed new wood utility poles along the westbound side between Malvern and Morgantown every one or two tenths of a mile. Only thought is that is for the fiber optic cable they are installing but I thought they were burying that.

jemacedo9

Quote from: MASTERNC on June 11, 2021, 08:41:38 PM
The E-ZPass Only signage has been removed at the entrance from PA 29 in Malvern (one sign remains but the foundation for a new sign is ready).

I also noticed new wood utility poles along the westbound side between Malvern and Morgantown every one or two tenths of a mile. Only thought is that is for the fiber optic cable they are installing but I thought they were burying that.

Maybe the fiberoptic lines willbe on the poles until the widening projects start,and then will be buried as part of the widening.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: jemacedo9 on June 12, 2021, 08:42:36 AM
The E-ZPass Only signage has been removed at the entrance from PA 29 in Malvern (one sign remains but the foundation for a new sign is ready).

Maybe the fiberoptic lines willbe on the poles until the widening projects start,and then will be buried as part of the widening.

If there's a project starting soon, most likely those poles will be used for street lighting.

MASTERNC

Quote from: jeffandnicole on June 12, 2021, 09:00:52 AM
Quote from: jemacedo9 on June 12, 2021, 08:42:36 AM

If there's a project starting soon, most likely those poles will be used for street lighting.

I don't see PTC use that as much as PennDOT, and these went on for 10+ miles (normally they only put poles for lights at the point where the lanes shift)

MASTERNC

Looks like changes were made to Mid-County going north into the tolls as well.  I was driving in the opposite direction, so I could only see the signs, but it looks like traffic for I-276 EB is directed into the old toll plaza while NE Extension traffic is directed into the Express lanes.  I don't know if there was separation after the toll plaza to force the decision.

There is now AET signage approaching the tolls

CentralPAGal

Looks like they're getting ready to replace the PA 441 bridge over the turnpike in the Harrisburg area. I wonder if PTC is eying an extension of the 6-lanes between the Harrisburg east and west interchanges in the not too distant future? Because after they replace this bridge, the only bridges that might need to be replaced to connect that 6 lane section to the widened (though not striped) segment around the Swatara creek bridge is the bridge carrying the airport connector. That would add several miles of 6-lane highway.

Temporary bridge to be put in place in Dauphin County
Clinched:
I: 83, 97, 176, 180 (PA), 270 (MD), 283, 395 (MD), 470 (OH-WV), 471, 795 (MD)
Traveled:
I: 70, 71, 75, 76 (E), 78, 79, 80, 81, 86 (E), 95, 99, 270 (OH), 275 (KY-IN-OH), 376, 495 (MD-VA), 579, 595 (MD), 695 (MD)
US: 1, 9, 11, 13, 15, 22, 25, 30, 40, 42, 50, 113, 119, 127, 209, 220, 222, 301

74/171FAN

Quote from: CentralPAGal on July 03, 2021, 01:07:32 PM
Looks like they're getting ready to replace the PA 441 bridge over the turnpike in the Harrisburg area. I wonder if PTC is eying an extension of the 6-lanes between the Harrisburg east and west interchanges in the not too distant future? Because after they replace this bridge, the only bridges that might need to be replaced to connect that 6 lane section to the widened (though not striped) segment around the Swatara creek bridge is the bridge carrying the airport connector. That would add several miles of 6-lane highway.

Temporary bridge to be put in place in Dauphin County

Actual Link: https://www.abc27.com/news/traffic/temporary-bridge-to-be-put-in-place-in-dauphin-county/
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.