News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

CA-15 in SD now I-15 all the way?

Started by MrAndy1369, October 30, 2018, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrAndy1369

Apologies if this has already been posted, but Google Maps now shows what previously was CA-15 south of CA-94 to be I-15 all the way to the terminus at Harbor Drive. Error or intentional? Taking a look at Google Street View images from the area, the April 2018 photos still show the CA-15 shield.

https://imgur.com/a/v9KLLk8

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Max Rockatansky

MrAndy1369

Quote from: NE2 on October 30, 2018, 01:27:21 PM
Why would you trust the Goog?

Generally, Google Maps has always been good to me, and very reliable. Apple Maps, not so much. Is there a reason I shouldn't trust Google Maps anymore?

NE2

Quote from: MrAndy1369 on October 30, 2018, 02:26:08 PM

Generally, Google Maps has always been good to me, and very reliable. Apple Maps, not so much. Is there a reason I shouldn't trust Google Maps anymore?

You should never trust any one map on specifics like this.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

cahwyguy

In doing my mapping project, I found loads of errors in Google maps. I'm sure if there was a recent signage change of that level, it would have been written up in the San Diego Union Tribune, and I have seen nothing.
Daniel - California Highway Guy ● Highway Site: http://www.cahighways.org/ ●  Blog: http://blog.cahighways.org/ ● Podcast (CA Route by Route): http://caroutebyroute.org/ ● Follow California Highways on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/cahighways

Speaking of Google Maps errors, remember when they replaced the Lincoln Highway with "US-30"? I remember several people from the AARoads forum tried to fix it, but admins from outside the US kept blocking it as "deliberate spam". Not to mention the fact they still sign SR 99 in Washington state between SR 599 and SR 518. WSDOT abandoned that to the city of Tukwila in 2004. Point is, you can't always trust Google Maps.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: cahwyguy on October 30, 2018, 03:50:46 PM
In doing my mapping project, I found loads of errors in Google maps. I'm sure if there was a recent signage change of that level, it would have been written up in the San Diego Union Tribune, and I have seen nothing.

The Signed County Routes in particular are really bad in that regard.  Incidentally J16 definitely drops off Hornitos Road on Bear Valley Road and terminates at CA 49. 

oscar

I have found GM's route markings sometimes to be horribly unreliable. In addition to the issues cited by others in this thread:

-- GM shows state routes that have been long decommissioned, or never existed in the first place (New Mexico comes to mind here)

-- GM rerouted several US routes around downtown Del Rio TX, and still does for two of them. When I field-checked the supposed changes, I found there had been no change in signage, nor was there any other evidence that the routings had officially changed. IIRC, the problem was that GM mappers used logical routings (following a new bypass signed as a state loop route) for the US routes, not realizing that those routings in reality are not always the most efficient, and that changes in routings are subject to both Federal approvals and state/local politics which sometimes block what might seem to be sensible changes.

I tend to rely on OpenStreetMap, but sometimes that's screwed up as well.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Quote from: oscar on October 30, 2018, 11:25:06 PM

I have found GM's route markings sometimes to be horribly unreliable. In addition to the issues cited by others in this thread:

-- GM shows state routes that have been long decommissioned, or never existed in the first place (New Mexico comes to mind here)

-- GM rerouted several US routes around downtown Del Rio TX, and still does for two of them. When I field-checked the supposed changes, I found there had been no change in signage, nor was there any other evidence that the routings had officially changed. IIRC, the problem was that GM mappers used logical routings (following a new bypass signed as a state loop route) for the US routes, not realizing that those routings in reality are not always the most efficient, and that changes in routings are subject to both Federal approvals and state/local politics which sometimes block what might seem to be sensible changes.

I tend to rely on OpenStreetMap, but sometimes that's screwed up as well.
Case in point:
-NM 533 on State Line Road
-AZ 77 over BIA 9
-CR S80 on the 1919 Lee Highway past Ocotillo which was abandoned a long time ago. Even before Hurricane Kathleen wiped half of it out.

VS988

Henry

So far, I haven't heard anything about CA 15, CA 210 or CA 905 becoming Interstates. Google Maps has always been known to jump the gun on these things.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

roadfro

Quote from: Henry on October 31, 2018, 09:17:44 AM
So far, I haven't heard anything about CA 15, CA 210 or CA 905 becoming Interstates. Google Maps has always been known to jump the gun on these things.

Yeah, Google Maps jumped the gun thinking that the new I-11 had replaced the entirety of I-515 in Las Vegas/Henderson, when in fact none of I-515 has been resigned. Despite reporting it several times, it still took Google about a month to fix the error.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

US 89

I would never trust Google on any change they make (or don't make) to route designations. For example, there are several state route changes in the Salt Lake City area that happened upwards of seven years ago, yet are still shown incorrectly on Google. There are also several state routes on their map which haven't existed for nearly 50 years (UT 129, 144, and 162 come to mind here). And last summer, Google decided to reroute US 189 onto UT 32, which 189 was moved off in the 1980s!

Quote from: roadfro on October 31, 2018, 09:53:08 AM
Despite reporting it several times, it still took Google about a month to fix the error.

Reporting errors doesn't do anything. I've reported a lot of these Utah route errors, citing the UDOT resolutions and their own GSV signs, and still nothing gets changed.

hotdogPi

I think there's an option for "edit the whole route" that's being chosen when they meant to edit a segment. This explains US 30 on the Lincoln Highway, US 15/501 (text only, no extra shields) on all of US 15, QC 366 on US 30, I-6 on ME 6, and this.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.