How far do your local radio stations go?

Started by CapeCodder, September 09, 2017, 09:40:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TravelingBethelite

Quote from: Flint1979 on January 29, 2020, 05:31:21 PM
I get that with WJR sometimes and I'm only 97 miles from the transmitter. For some reason WLW blows in here really strong all day long and the Chicago stations are all pretty good all day.

I've been having pretty good luck. Not too long ago I was able to get KOA in Denver for the first time ever. I've got WBAP in Dallas too.

I thought I'd mention I pick up WJR here in Columbia on the regular (at night of course). Not that it's super surprising, it's not like we're all that far from Detroit. Still haven't heard that top of the hour ID though.
"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

Flint1979

Quote from: TravelingBethelite on January 30, 2020, 12:27:41 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on January 29, 2020, 05:31:21 PM
I get that with WJR sometimes and I'm only 97 miles from the transmitter. For some reason WLW blows in here really strong all day long and the Chicago stations are all pretty good all day.

I've been having pretty good luck. Not too long ago I was able to get KOA in Denver for the first time ever. I've got WBAP in Dallas too.

I thought I'd mention I pick up WJR here in Columbia on the regular (at night of course). Not that it's super surprising, it's not like we're all that far from Detroit. Still haven't heard that top of the hour ID though.
It's a strong station you can pick it up all the way to about Dayton, Ohio during the day. The transmitter building is pretty cool too it's an art deco design building in Riverview, a suburb a little south of Detroit.

They change the top of the hour up often. The most used one goes, "from the golden tower of the Fisher Building - the great voice of the Great Lakes, 760 WJR Detroit."

Back in the day they had some of the best local personalities around. Ever show was local.

When I was picking up KOA I heard the top of the hour and they said something then I heard, "the 50,000 watt blowtorch of the Rocky mountain west" and I thought wow that's KOA.

cwf1701

Many years ago, In addition to WJR from Detroit, i was able to if i turned my radio right, i could pick up CKLW out of nearby Windsor while i was in visiting family in Gadsden AL. But if i turned my radio 180 degree, instead of CKLW, i would pick up Trans World Radio from the Netherlands Antelies (just less 100 miles from Venezuela) from my location in Gadsden.

Flint1979

I remember back in the 80's WJR's TOH was, "from the golden tower of the Fisher Building this is AM Stereo 76 WJR Detroit."

They announce the Fisher Building because it was part of their original lease when the building first opened in December 1928. WJR is the Fisher Building's oldest tenant.

golden eagle

Quote from: bandit957 on September 18, 2018, 12:02:31 AM
I once read on another forum that if you took an FM radio out into the middle of Lake Michigan, you wouldn't be able to pick up anything except stations all interfering with each other. They said it was because water is a good conductor of FM signals.

Also, I have a family member who went on a commercial flight back in 1990 who said they had an FM radio (this was before the government banned radio on flights) and heard stations that had to be 200 miles away.

I have heard far-away FMs in the air, so that sounds about right.

Water is a good conductor for FM radio. I remember driving on the Lake Pontchartrain bridge near New Orleans around 2:30 in the afternoon and picking up FMs out of Jackson, MS and Houston like if they were locals in New Orleans. Not too far east on the Mississippi Gulf Coast, you can hear 620 from Tampa, well over 400 miles as the crow flies.

KEVIN_224

I think salt water enhances AM signals. Not sure about FM stations. It likely explained why I got WCBS-AM 880 of New York City in the early afternoon in Newport, RI (2004). A similar thing happens with WBZ-AM 1030 of Boston. It comes in almost like a local in certain parts of Portland, ME during the day.

Flint1979

I'm in Minnesota currently and WJR is coming in really strong just like I'm sitting next to the transmitter in Riverview. I'm getting some new stations in I can't figure out the call letters but I heard an ad mention area code 206 which is Seattle.

Billy F 1988

Only at night when the AM tower isn't using as much power, and I'm in a area where there isn't a lot of fringe static, I'm able to pick up the Boise station, KBLY AM 670 in Missoula on my car radio.
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.