Use of red arrows for protected turns

Started by Revive 755, March 09, 2009, 05:55:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Revive 755

Which states currently use red arrows for protected turns?  So far I know of:

- Minnesota
- Nebraska
- Kentucky
- Illinois (northern and southern, but not around St. Louis)
- Iowa (at least in Council Bluffs, Davenport, and a new signal in Coralville)
- Florida

There's also some extremely sporadic use of red arrows in Missouri, with one light in Union, one light at Lambert Airport, and a former(?) one somewhere in Springfield near the Missouri State campus, but all of these are on non-state maintained roadways.

Ian

These are the states I know of

-Maine
-New Hampshire
-Massachusetts
-New York
-New Jersey
-Delaware
-Maryland
-California
-Vermont
-Oregon
-Washington
-District of Columbia
-Louisiana
-Arizona
-Nevada
-Idaho
-Wyoming
-Montana
-Alaska
-Hawaii
-North and South Dakota
-Arkansas
-Oklahoma
-Colorado
-Georgia

These are the states other than yours that I am sure have the red arrow phase. I am sure there are others, but I just need to look around.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

un1

Moderator of the Canada and Off Topic boards.

Thunder Bay Expressway - Highway 61 and 11/17 Ontario - Thunder Bay, Ontario

Ian

Quote from: froggie on March 09, 2009, 06:52:24 PM
Louisiana and Hawaii use of red left arrows is not uniform.

huh, really? Hmm, I guess the photos I've seen must have been odities then.
Youtube l Flickr

74/171FAN

I know that North Carolina has at least one at Whalebone Junction(US 158/US 64/NC 12) and probably more
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

SSOWorld

Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

LPCJr

They are all over the place in Pennsylvania.  In most cases they are completely unnecessary and impede traffic flow by adding extra phases to each light cycle.

We actually have intersections where they are removing jughandles in favor of left arrows.

SSOWorld

Quote from: LPCJr on March 09, 2009, 09:26:34 PM
They are all over the place in Pennsylvania.  In most cases they are completely unnecessary and impede traffic flow by adding extra phases to each light cycle.

We actually have intersections where they are removing jughandles in favor of left arrows.
Jughandles - ugh!!!!
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Ian

They are all over the place in Pennsylvania. 

Pennsylvania actually doesn't use the red arrow at all except in Philadelphia and a few in Pittsburgh.
Youtube l Flickr

Greybear

Add Des Moines to that Iowa list. I've seen a few, not many, red left arrows around town.

PAHighways

Quote from: PennDOTFan on March 09, 2009, 09:53:52 PM

Pennsylvania actually doesn't use the red arrow at all except in Philadelphia and a few in Pittsburgh.

PennDOT took the Philadelphia design (yellow signals and black backplates) and spread it across the state but for some reason left out the red arrows.

LPCJr

Not true.  There are easily dozens of them here in Chester County.

PAHighways

District 6 does signal installations like I've never seen elsewhere in the Commonwealth, especially their liberal use of pedestal signals.

Bryant5493

On a semi-related note, I was looking at a video aimed at showing people how to drive. The video was produced by the California DMV. In California, it's illegal to make any turns against a red arrow (right or left). I live in Georgia, so I knew it's illegal turn left on a red arrow. I checked with GDOT on right turns against a red arrow, and the reponse was that it's okay as long as you stop on the right turn. (Many drivers don't stop on red, they just roll on through. I used to do that, but now I stop.)

Be well,

Bryant
Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

njroadhorse

Quote from: Master son on March 09, 2009, 09:31:41 PM
Jughandles - ugh!!!!
Lolz.  I laugh because I'm from Jersey and we have them all over the place.  They SUCK!!!!  X-(
NJ Roads FTW!
Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 30, 2009, 04:04:11 PM
I-99... the Glen Quagmire of interstate routes??

Duke87

Bear in mind that unless it's on a state highway, the local city/town or county is likely responsible for the traffic signals. In some cases, even if it is a state highway, the city/town is responsible.

This could be the cause for some of the apparent non-uniformity you may find within a state.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Ian

Quote from: LPCJr on March 09, 2009, 10:20:49 PM

Not true.  There are easily dozens of them here in Chester County.

Really? Never seen any there.

Quote from: PAHighways on March 09, 2009, 10:50:28 PM
District 6 does signal installations like I've never seen elsewhere in the Commonwealth, especially their liberal use of pedestal signals.

:nod: :nod: true
Youtube l Flickr

US71

Quote from: Revive 755 on March 09, 2009, 05:55:03 PM
Which states currently use red arrows for protected turns?  So far I know of:

- Minnesota
- Nebraska
- Kentucky
- Illinois (northern and southern, but not around St. Louis)
- Iowa (at least in Council Bluffs, Davenport, and a new signal in Coralville)
- Florida

Arkansas is sporadic and primarily associated with Flashing Yellow Arrow signals. Fort Smith has at least 15 intersections with FYA's, but I'm not sure about the rest of the state.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

vdeane

NY's use of the red arrow in not uniform.  Most protected turns don't have a red arrow, only green and yellow arrows.  There's one intersection with a protected left turn that has a standard light that simply has a sign saying "left turn signal".
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Ian

a lot of states (like Pennsylvania) typically use the red ball indication for protected left turns...
http://picasaweb.google.com/Iansignal/PennsylvaniaTrafficSignalsAndRoadSigns#5310497625582191778

And in almost all states, the protected/permitted signal is a "doghouse" style signal (except some where an inline 5 or 4 is used), like this...
http://picasaweb.google.com/Iansignal/PennsylvaniaTrafficSignalsAndRoadSigns#5310497717460975362  (my old avatar  :D)
Youtube l Flickr

yanksfan6129

In New Jersey, for protected turns with red arrows, we usually don't do it the Pennsylvania way that PennDOTFan showed above. We usually include a fourth signal down on the traffic light specifically for this turn.

Ian

Quote from: yanksfan6129 on March 10, 2009, 07:09:23 PM
In New Jersey, for protected turns with red arrows, we usually don't do it the Pennsylvania way that PennDOTFan showed above. We usually include a fourth signal down on the traffic light specifically for this turn.

you mean an inline 4 like this  :sombrero: :sombrero:?
http://picasaweb.google.com/Iansignal/NewJerseyTrafficSignalsAndRoadSigns#5311709804616668850    :-D
Youtube l Flickr

Alex

Delaware overuses these. Many turns are protected that really don't need it. Delaware also split-phases way to many intersections, especially those with subdivision entrances that are across from one another.

Ian

Quote from: aaroads on March 10, 2009, 07:55:32 PM
Delaware overuses these. Many turns are protected that really don't need it. Delaware also split-phases way to many intersections, especially those with subdivision entrances that are across from one another.

yay, im not the only one who thinks this  ;-)
Youtube l Flickr

yanksfan6129

Quote from: PennDOTFan on March 10, 2009, 07:48:37 PM
Quote from: yanksfan6129 on March 10, 2009, 07:09:23 PM

Yes, exactly. My writing abilities are drained because I had a 10 page research paper due today.

you mean an inline 4 like this  :sombrero: :sombrero:?
http://picasaweb.google.com/Iansignal/NewJerseyTrafficSignalsAndRoadSigns#5311709804616668850    :-D

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.