News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

What's your favorite state highway shield design?

Started by DrZoidberg, April 25, 2009, 12:20:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PAHighways

I'm partial to Pennsylvania's which is fitting for being the "Keystone State."

Which begs the question, why didn't Delaware go with a diamond shield since they are the "Diamond State?"

dpatrickallen

I like California's state shield the best.  It just seems the most highway appropriate.

njroadhorse

My favorites are Louisiana, North Carolina (I like the simple diamond for some reason), Virginia, Maryland, California, Oregon, and Wisconsin.
NJ Roads FTW!
Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 30, 2009, 04:04:11 PM
I-99... the Glen Quagmire of interstate routes??

BigMattFromTexas

i like Wasington State, Ohio, Florida, Texas(even though it's just white), and North Dakota
BigMatt

mrivera1

California state route...because it is simple and historic (49er spade), and the current CA US highway shield.  The one used everywhere else isn't as nice as the one CalTrans uses...I'm surprised it hasn't caught on anywhere else.  My ultimate favorite would have to be the Interstate shield. 
Why did Caltrans kill the US highways?  If you're smart, you'll know where you're going.  Too bad we have too many stupid people, and yes, Miss Talking on Cell Phone While Cutting Across the Freeway to Make Her Exit at 85mph, I'm talking about you.

Stephane Dumas

QuoteI never got the rounded rectangle on triangle that is Wisconsin's shield (even as I hail from that state.)

I wonder if Quebec provincial highway shield are inspired by Wisconsin? Their forms look a bit similar

DrZoidberg

QuoteI wonder if Quebec provincial highway shield are inspired by Wisconsin? Their forms look a bit similar

I think I read somewhere that Wisconsin's state highway shield was inspired by the US highway shield.  As for Quebec....
"By the way...I took the liberty of fertilizing your caviar."

corco

hm insulators

Colorado's my favorite, with Kansas a close second.
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

leifvanderwall

These are my favorites: Florida, Georgia, Ohio, New York, Penn, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Missouri, Tennessee, New Mexico, Arizona, California.
My least favorites: Michigan, any state that uses just the box and state name (In., Il., Md.,and Tx.), and any state that uses just the circle (NJ, IA.,MS.,and KY.)

Hellfighter

Greybear

My all time favorite has to be Arkansas, with Kansas a close second.

agentsteel53

Quote from: DrZoidberg on April 27, 2009, 08:59:46 PM
QuoteI wonder if Quebec provincial highway shield are inspired by Wisconsin? Their forms look a bit similar

I think I read somewhere that Wisconsin's state highway shield was inspired by the US highway shield.  As for Quebec....

nope - they used to have the simple triangle, then added the rounded rectangle as an overlay to make more room for the numbers. 

most intuitive on this style:

oh and my favorite shield type?  can't go wrong with the Nebraska covered wagon - both old and new styles. 

great job keeping the classic wagon design even as standards mandated larger and more legible numbers. 
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.