Toll roads with no free alternative

Started by bugo, May 08, 2009, 03:31:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugo

The Indian Nation Turnpike in Oklahoma has no free parallel alternative.  US 271 (sorta) acts as a free alternative from Hugo to Antlers, a distance of about 15 miles, but the rest of the turnpike has no nearby alternative.  And the bridge over the Canadian River is the only crossing of that river for several miles in each direction.  Isn't there a rule that says a toll road must have a free alternative?  If so, how did the OTA get away with this?

yanksfan6129

Garden State Parkway has no free freeway-standard alternative.

Although ironically, some people have been using the GSP as an alternative to the NJ Turnpike in north Jersey if they're going from I-280 to central Jersey or South Jersey because it's a bit cheaper!

Chris

Truvelo

Quote from: yanksfan6129 on May 08, 2009, 07:51:25 AM

I used that last year and there were no tolls.
Speed limits limit life

corco

QuoteGarden State Parkway has no free freeway-standard alternative.

I used that last year and there were no tolls.

I would bet several hundred thousand dollars that the Garden State Parkway is a toll road. You must be mistaken

Chris

^^ Maybe the tolls were waived temporarily because of hurricane evacuations?

corco

Quote^^ Maybe the tolls were waived temporarily because of hurricane evacuations?

I don't think New Jersey has serious enough hurricanes to warrant evacuation

SSOWorld

Quote from: yanksfan6129 on May 08, 2009, 07:51:25 AM

Although ironically, some people have been using the GSP as an alternative to the NJ Turnpike in north Jersey if they're going from I-280 to central Jersey or South Jersey because it's a bit cheaper!

The alternative doesn't have to be a freeway.  There are cases where this is - Illinois - go through downtown Chicago, Indiana, I-94 (up to where it goes up into Michigan).  New Jersey Turnpike - I-295 to Trenton (from there you're on your own) and New York City has free alternatives in places (although crossing the Hudson is all Toll)  But there is definitely a 2-lane or expressway alternative to practically every toll road.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

yanksfan6129

OK, the deal is, you only pay tolls on the Garden State Parkway at certain points where there is a toll barrier...it's called an "open" toll system. So its very possible you can use it without paying a toll, but if you go more then a certain number of miles you're definitely going to pay a toll.

akotchi

QuoteThe alternative doesn't have to be a freeway.  There are cases where this is - Illinois - go through downtown Chicago, Indiana, I-94 (up to where it goes up into Michigan).  New Jersey Turnpike - I-295 to Trenton (from there you're on your own) and New York City has free alternatives in places (although crossing the Hudson is all Toll)  But there is definitely a 2-lane or expressway alternative to practically every toll road.

From Trenton north, the parallel alternative to the Turnpike is U.S. 1.

The Parkway is actually free in a few spots for reasons other than by design:  the two spots where U.S. 9 overlaps, the section down south where the at-grade intersections are, and the section between the Turnpike and Union, which was originally state-owned.
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

mightyace

IMHO I think that this topic should have been called Toll Roads with No Free Parallel Alternative.  Unless it's an island like most of New York City, there's usually a way around even if it's circuitous.

Now, the Pennsylvania Turnpike mainline and the Northeast Extension have no easily describable parallel alternatives.

US 22 and US 30 can get you the same places as the Turnpike from Pittsburgh to Harrisburg and Philadelphia, respectively but they are not that close to the Turnpike at some points.  Now, PA 309 would be a free alternative to the Northeast Extension from the mainline to Allentown, but the routes diverge north of that and nothing really follows I-476 north of that until Wilkes-Barre where I-81 provides an alternative route.  In fact, the section north of exit 115 to the northern terminus at exit 131 is very lightly traveled as I-81 hits the same endpoints with much better access to Scranton.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

Chris

You should check out Madrid. As y'all probably know, it's a radial system with 7 radiating freeways. There are also 4 radiating toll roads right next to it, so through traffic and long-distance commuters can avoid the other commuter traffic.

But the Spaniards are going a step further, and construct toll roads and free freeways within 4 miles of eachother... For instance, between Lleida and Barcelona, you can take the toll free A-2 or the toll road AP-2. I wonder who's gonna use the toll roads then... I drove on both, and the free road was loaded with trucks, and the toll road was nearly empty... A similar thing is going on between Logrono and Zaragoza with an A-68 and AP-68 within 2 - 3 miles parallel to eachother.

mightyace

Quote from: Chris on May 08, 2009, 02:21:06 PM
For instance, between Lleida and Barcelona, you can take the toll free A-2 or the toll road AP-2. I wonder who's gonna use the toll roads then... I drove on both, and the free road was loaded with trucks, and the toll road was nearly empty... A similar thing is going on between Logrono and Zaragoza with an A-68 and AP-68 within 2 - 3 miles parallel to eachother.

I've heard that the same thing often happens in Mexico where their toll roads are often constructed parallel to an existing free route.  In Mexico, the partially happens because the tolls are very high even by U.S. standards let alone Mexico.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

Truvelo

Quote from: yanksfan6129 on May 08, 2009, 12:31:39 PM
OK, the deal is, you only pay tolls on the Garden State Parkway at certain points where there is a toll barrier...it's called an "open" toll system. So its very possible you can use it without paying a toll, but if you go more then a certain number of miles you're definitely going to pay a toll.

Ah, that explains it. I only used a short section of it.
Speed limits limit life

WillWeaverRVA

VA 895 *sort of* has no free alternative. The only real alternative is I-95 to I-64 EB to I-295 (or I-95 to Broad St EB to VA 5), which takes quite a bit longer. They did a pretty good job of placing that highway in the middle of nowhere so there's no real way to avoid a toll on it (only part of it).
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

deathtopumpkins

Heh, if you want to see a free alternative extremely close to a toll road, look at the NJTP/I-295. They run up against each other for several miles. Only problem is I haven't been able to find any easy direct connection at 295's northern end--probably because then no one would take the Turnpike.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

akotchi

QuoteHeh, if you want to see a free alternative extremely close to a toll road, look at the NJTP/I-295. They run up against each other for several miles. Only problem is I haven't been able to find any easy direct connection at 295's northern end--probably because then no one would take the Turnpike.

I-195 is the northernmost connection between I-295 and the Turnpike, at least based on the signing on I-295.  Each I-295 exit where the crossroad also has an interchange with the Turnpike is signed as "To (TP)."  I don't see anyone using N.J. 33 to get from I-295 Exit 64 to Turnpike Exit 8 . . .

The highways are about 6 miles apart at that point, due east-west.
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

Revive 755

Quote from: mightyaceIMHO I think that this topic should have been called Toll Roads with No Free Parallel Alternative.  Unless it's an island like most of New York City, there's usually a way around even if it's circuitous.

Now, the Pennsylvania Turnpike mainline and the Northeast Extension have no easily describable parallel alternatives.

Really depends upon the trip and how many extra miles have to be added to consider a route circuitous or how far away the route must be before it's no longer parallel.  I-70 traffic can just use I-79 and I-68.  Traffic coming from the Youngstown area can use I-80, I-99 and US 322 to reach Harrisburg.  PA 283 and US 30 can be used to reach Philly from Harrisburg.

Duke87

QuoteOne name:

New York City

Access across the Hudson isn't possible untolled unless you want to drive all the way up to Albany first/ Otherwise, there are ways to get places for free, they're just not the most practical. Many of the bridges connecting Manhattan to Long Island are free, as are most of the bridges connecting Manhattan to the Bronx. So you can get from the mainland to Long Island without paying a toll, but you have to go through Manhattan (which will cost you significant time and gas).
And while you can't get to Staten Island for free by car, you can do it on foot or on a bicycle via the Staten Island Ferry, which has not charged a fare since 1997.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

deathtopumpkins

QuoteReally depends upon the trip and how many extra miles have to be added to consider a route circuitous or how far away the route must be before it's no longer parallel.

Plus you have to factor in the added time from slower speeds, signals, etc. if the only alternate is not a freeway.
Take for example the Chesapeake Expressway (VA-168) in Chesapeake, VA. It extends from I-64 almost to the NC state line, where it continues as a 4-lane undivided road. It was finished in the 1990s to provide a bypass to Battlefield Blvd. (VA-168 BUS) which is mostly lined with strip malls, etc. and pretty congested. Despite its $2 toll, I always take it when heading south, because once I took Battlefield Blvd. instead and it easily added an extra 30 minutes on my trip each way.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: akotchi on May 08, 2009, 04:31:40 PM
I don't see anyone using N.J. 33 to get from I-295 Exit 64 to Turnpike Exit 8 . . .

I found this interesting, as on Easter weekend traffic on the NJTP was paralyzed, whereas it was incredibly easy to hop over to NJ 33/US 130/I-195. There was practically no traffic at all on I-195 and I-295 until past I-76/NJ 42 or so and even then it wasn't so bad.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Voyager

Orlando only has a single non tolled freeway, doesn't it?
Back From The Dead | AARoads Forum Original

njroadhorse

QuoteOrlando only has a single non tolled freeway, doesn't it?
Correct, and it's I-4.  Why doesn't Orlando have more free freeways?
NJ Roads FTW!
Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 30, 2009, 04:04:11 PM
I-99... the Glen Quagmire of interstate routes??

Revive 755

^ I recall reading a newspaper article a few years ago that tolls were being considered for I-4 around Orlando; I'm guessing that idea died.

Duke87

QuoteWhy doesn't Orlando have more free freeways?

I'm guessing it's because it doesn't have more interstates. Florida is fond of paying for roads with tolls when they can, and interstates are really the only case where they can't.

The real question is: why is their electronic collection system not compatible with EZPass?
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.